A few questions from a concerned student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stabler22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am taking my PCAT in 5 weeks. I used a Kaplan test (I used the Internet on a few questions) and I got a 57th percentile. I just did it as a run through to see what I need to focus on.

1. How is the pcat in comparison to Kaplans tests? I have 2 Pearson ones but I have yet to take them.

2. Chemistry. I also have dr Collins - how is the pcat gen chem and o chem? Lots of calculations? Lots of hard organic reactions?

3.is the math section doable? I am not a huge fan of math nor the greatest at it. I got 50 something on the Kaplan practice but I will continue to work on it.

Also: I managed a 70 on RC for Kaplan. I've heard Kaplan is harder on most parts but is this the case? Could this translate into a higher score on the real pcat?

Members don't see this ad.

1) I found that Kaplan tests were not a whole lot like the real thing. The Dr. Collins questions and Pearson tests are most similar. Go over every question you get wrong. Retake the tests, always time yourself. Time is very limited on PCAT.
2) Know functional groups, periodic trends, how to calc oxidation numbers, how to quickly count how many carbons/hydrogens, etc, are in an organic chemical. Some calculations but mostly on things like how much of "blank" is left after the reaction, how much product is made, etc. Know limiting reactant questions. Some equilibrium questions. Again, use Dr. Collins and study those review questions like a maniac--you'll start to notice a pattern of what you need to know. Orgo is definitely on there but nothing too crazy. Just get good at predicting products of two organic chemicals, including their intermediaries. If you want a nice and fun review, try watching the Chemistry review on Crash Course Chemistry on Youtube. I also recommend his Anatomy review. Very good way to quickly review concepts and trends and stuff might stick better.
3) I am terrible at math. Scored in the 50's in that section on actual PCAT. Don't have much advice, just to practice taking the section in the small time interval!! Skip hard questions, all are worth the same and there are a lot of easy math questions. Make sure you do them first.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users