Expiring DEA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msgsk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for others who have gone through this: I moved states. I had to get another DEA because you have to have one for each state you practice in. My prior state's DEA is about to expire. I have no intent on practicing there any longer and have let my license expire as well. Do I need to do anything with this or just let it naturally expire without any intervention on my part? Just want to make sure there's no disruption to my current practice/DEA...

Members don't see this ad.

When moving to a new state, I've always kept the federal DEA current and let the old state DEAs expire. If you're not going to prescribe ever again in your former states, I don't know why you'd have to do anything but let them expire.

Similar question:

I do locums. I have to renew a DEA for a state I’m currently not practing in but may in the future.
In the renewal you have to put in a practice location in that state, but I currently don’t have one... So is it not renewable until I do locums there again?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the OP has to clarify the "DEA" thing. I think that the OP is referring to a "state dispenser's license" (or whatever equivalent in states that need them). That would really make it evident what s/he means. To me, at least, "DEA" is US Dept of Justice DEA.

I’m aware you can transfer an existing DEA but at the time I was practicing in two states. Now I won’t be. I have a DEA for the state I need. Should I just let the other one expire naturally or do I need to contact anyone or do anything to make sure it’s cancellation doesn’t restrict practice in my current state.

And I’m not a dispenser. I work in an ER like (almost) everyone else here. I’m referring to the DEA license you have to get to work in any state just like the state license.

I’m aware you can transfer an existing DEA but at the time I was practicing in two states. Now I won’t be. I have a DEA for the state I need. Should I just let the other one expire naturally or do I need to contact anyone or do anything to make sure it’s cancellation doesn’t restrict practice in my current state.

And I’m not a dispenser. I work in an ER like (almost) everyone else here. I’m referring to the DEA license you have to get to work in any state just like the state license.
Not every state has one. Also, if you are writing scripts, you're a dispenser.

When you keep saying "DEA", it is not clear.