APP’s Cause of Death- The PE Business model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlaminHotER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Great article

American Physician Partners (APP) became the second large private equity-owned emergency medicine group to declare bankruptcy in the last two months. APP will cease operations on July 31, 2023. Click here to see the 119 emergency departments affected and which groups will take over APP’s EM contracts.

The lack of surprises is the most surprising conclusion from digging into APP’s finances. The company’s downfall is due to its business model more than APP-specific factors.

Founded in 2015, APP is owned by Brown Brothers Harriman, a large private equity company and investment bank. Along with emergency medicine, American Physician Partners staffs hospitalist and intensivist practices across 18 states.

Per John Rutledge, APP’s founder & CEO, “As long as we continue to use our mission as our north star and foster our patient-centered, physician-centric culture, we will continue to exceed the expectations of our patients, our providers and employees, and our hospital partners well into the future.” Let’s dig into why Mr. Rutledge’s company failed to meet those expectations.

The private equity playbook for portfolio companies has three main components:

Grow using debt, which is placed on the books of the portfolio company, not the private equity company itself.
Increase margins through “operational efficiencies”.
Sell the enlarged business for a profit in ~5 years.
American Physician Partners’ problems began when its debt came due. APP owed its lenders approximately $472 million in December 2021, so it attempted to get a new $580 million loan. When they could not secure new loans, their existing lenders gave APP an extension, allowing the company to survive another 19 months.

The investor slide deck for APP’s attempted 2021 raise is publicly available, giving us more than the usual detail about the company’s finances. Even in COVID-riddled 2021, APP’s core clinical business was actually doing OK.

APP described the hospital systems it staffed as “blue chip”. American Physician Partners’ payer mix was decent. Only 5% of APP’s ED patients were uninsured (slide 22) compared to 8% nationally. APP collected $161 per ED visit in 2021 (slide 14). Per Pines et al, the average EM collections per visit (CPV) nationally in 2019 was $167. However, APP’s clinician staffing cost per visit was $120 (slide 11), compared to $161 nationally (Pines).

APP made $41 per ED visit ($161 collected, $120 paid out for clinical staffing compensation). In 2021, APP saw 3,190,000 ED patients. That comes to a 2021 gross margin of $130,790,000 = $41 x 3,190,000. Additionally, APP collected an additional $23 million in CARES Act funds (slide 32). With that much 2021 income, how is APP bankrupt in 2023?

The answer starts before the pandemic. Despite generating significant revenue, APP posted a net income LOSS of $147.6 million in 2019. That was followed by net income losses of $131.6 million and $114.6 million in 2020 and 2021. (Slide 39)

The slide deck does not detail APP’s non-clinical staffing expenses - but does give clues. APP spent extravagantly on medical practice acquisitions, purchasing 54 practices between 2016-2019. They paid an average of 8x multiples for those practices, which is higher than expected. APP’s initial transaction was the $24 million purchase in 2015 of Align MD, led by Mark Green (currently serving in the US House of Representatives).

Private equity-owned companies are not known for skimping on executive compensation. APP’s CEO described their regional leadership structure: “We pair seasoned Regional Medical Directors who have experience leading physician teams and Regional Vice Presidents who are former hospital executives.” The company was suit-heavy.

Dividend payments to the private equity owner - BBH in this case - are another non-clinical expense inherent to the private equity model. Per Investopedia, “Dividend recapitalization is a way for investors to receive a return without having to sell their shares but can often be detrimental to the firm as taking on more debt is a risky maneuver if the company does not have a strategy in which to pay it back.” A recent example is Cerberus Capital’s attempt to extract a $4 billion dividend from the Albertsons supermarket chain before the store’s sale to Kroger.

In other words, APP failed to create sufficient operational efficiencies to pay off its massive debts. Despite a decent payer mix, their collections per visit were below the national average. Despite lower-than-average clinician compensation costs, they spent much more than the revenue generated.

And then the US Congress passed the No Surprises Act, which banned out-of-network billing starting on January 1, 2022. 27% of American Physician Partners’ revenue was generated via out-of-network bills in 2021 (slide 22). APP estimated that the NSA’s billing changes would cut its annual revenues by $11 million, or roughly 9%. The company was bleeding; the feds, through the No Surprises Act, administered APP a hefty dose of tPA.

APP succeeded at step one of the private equity playbook; they bought a bunch of practices while accumulating large amounts of debt. They then failed at number two; they could not find operational efficiencies. That left step three: sell.

In 2023, APP attempted to sell to SCP Health (formerly Schumacher). After seeing APP’s finances, SCP did not proceed with the deal. As a result, on July 17th, American Physician Partners announced plans to declare Chapter 7 bankruptcy and will cease operations on July 31st.

APP’s collapse has left their hospital partners scrambling to staff their EDs. Physicians who sold their practices in exchange for debt and equity in APP will be wiped out. For example, Congressman Mark Green declared $5-$25 million of debt holdings in APP, which are now worthless.

What should we make of the rise and fall of American Physician Partners?

There appear to be few operational efficiencies gained by consolidating mid-sized emergency medicine groups into large EM practices.
Emergency medicine is generally a low-margin business. Pines et al estimate national average EM operating margins of 5.7% (excluding out-of-network visits).
Private equity’s emergency medicine thesis in the 2010s relied heavily on out-of-network billing, which is now illegal. Without balance billing, paying off the massive debts inherent to the private equity model is challenging, especially within the current lending environment (high interest rates and low deal flow).
None of the factors that brought down American Physician Partners is unique to APP. Without significant changes to private equity’s acute care business model, expect more bankruptcies to come.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
That link to the google sheet inside the article is very interesting. Wonder who put that together and how current it is. 40 hospitals still with no one listed to take over next week. 18 places going to USACS and 14 transitioning to becoming hospital employees. Only 1 SDG listed and no signs of any newly created groups. Seems like there might be good bit of chaos next week. Could be a good model for what the death of some of the other CMG's might look like in a few years. Of course as there are fewer CMG's to pick up the pieces for the next one that goes under it gets more chaotic.

Reactions: 1 user
I got told the Methodist sites are the only APP contracts that usacs took over.

Members don't see this ad :)

And only given 48 hrs to review and sign the contract

what a bunch of co*k suckers USACS is

Reactions: 3 users
Counting all the affiliated hospital based EDs and what looks like probably FSED's that comes to 18 sites.

Reactions: 2 users
What happened to APP is classic VC MO.

These MBAs know how to play the game and take very little risks in these projects regardless if they go bankrupt. They are first in, first out, and then suck as much money as possible until they go bankrupt or if by some miracle get to IPO again for a 2nd huge bite of the apple.

Professional Fees are low margins when you take out provider pay. In no way can you saddle the business with millions in debt and then expect to service these loans on the tight margins. People say that CMGs have better reimbursement negotiating prowess, economies of scale, more efficient. What I have seen is CMGs have marginally better reimbursement, Poor economies of scale, and highly inefficient with large overheads.

Now that it has been over 7 yrs, our SDG was bought out by TH for about 20M. Most of the partners go about a years income to stay on for 2 yrs to not rock the boat. Our pay was essentially flat minus the 50K/yr partner profits which amounted to about 2-3M/yr for the group (We paid the working doc over market b/c they made the group function). In no way are you servicing 20M in debt with a higher overhead and 2-3M in profit. NO WAY.

CMGs are a sick model b/c reimbursement is not what it used to be. Either they decrease MD pay or run it at a loss towards bankruptcy. There just really isn't any other path b/c the money is not there.

Professional Fees are low margins when you take out provider pay. In no way can you saddle the business with millions in debt and then expect to service these loans on the tight margins. People say that CMGs have better reimbursement negotiating prowess, economies of scale, more efficient. What I have seen is CMGs have marginally better reimbursement, Poor economies of scale, and highly inefficient with large overheads.
That's pretty much what we saw. First year in we saw some leverage in negotiations with payers and our reimbursement with private payers went up. Our med mal cost went down. Our health insurance costs went down. After that it was all downhill. By the time I left the hospital systems had stopped all subsidies and saddled us with a bunch of facilities that never made sense. Our leverage with payers similarly seemed to have evaporated. Overhead was nuts. It got to the point where they were bragging about overhead being only something like 24%. As an SDG we tried to keep it as close to 10% as possible. Seems weird to brag about 20+%.

And only given 48 hrs to review and sign the contract

what a bunch of co*k suckers USACS is
I'm guessing you could refuse to sign the contract and contact the locums companies they use and still have a job, probably at a higher rate, after the transition. When USACS took over Summa there were rumors of 500+/hr. Wouldn't feel as dirty getting that kind of money when they are staffing a place where a CMG went broke instead of a hostile take over.

That's pretty much what we saw. First year in we saw some leverage in negotiations with payers and our reimbursement with private payers went up. Our med mal cost went down. Our health insurance costs went down. After that it was all downhill. By the time I left the hospital systems had stopped all subsidies and saddled us with a bunch of facilities that never made sense. Our leverage with payers similarly seemed to have evaporated. Overhead was nuts. It got to the point where they were bragging about overhead being only something like 24%. As an SDG we tried to keep it as close to 10% as possible. Seems weird to brag about 20+%.

I'm guessing you could refuse to sign the contract and contact the locums companies they use and still have a job, probably at a higher rate, after the transition. When USACS took over Summa there were rumors of 500+/hr. Wouldn't feel as dirty getting that kind of money when they are staffing a place where a CMG went broke instead of a hostile take over.
I know a scab that claimed to make 1,000/hr at summa, first day of usuks.

Would never do that myself, betrayal isn't worth the money

Reactions: 1 users
When USACS took over Summa there were rumors of 500+/hr.
I know a scab that claimed to make 1,000/hr at summa, first day of usuks.
The $1k/hr is what I heard, strongly.

And, I said before, if they're paying you $400/hr, they're getting $500/hr out of you. One guy disagreed. For $1k/hr, they were getting $1100/hr out of you.

And, I said before, if they're paying you $400/hr, they're getting $500/hr out of you. One guy disagreed. For $1k/hr, they were getting $1100/hr out of you.
CMGs are not running a profit. If they pay you 400/hr, the only way to get 500/hr out of you is if they put you with 3 APCs. Docs can see max 3pph and they would need to get 600/hr from you with the high overhead. The money is not there.

Yeah this is the joke. Our SDG overhead was probably no more than 2-3% after removing billing/medmal taken out. No way CMGs even get close to this with all the C-suite/big office buildings.

Our group went from no paid officers to TH having two regional directors + office staff that costs 1M+/yr

Members don't see this ad :)
CMGs are not running a profit. If they pay you 400/hr, the only way to get 500/hr out of you is if they put you with 3 APCs. Docs can see max 3pph and they would need to get 600/hr from you with the high overhead. The money is not there.

The money is there for CMGs lets be real that's why they have millions in capital. They may not be able to afford 1000 an hour of 500 an hour indefinately but they get money from the contract to pay the coders, C suites, recruiting and credentialing. They are not making money but they aren't losing that much either

Another interesting write up by Dr. Sullivan

It's almost like you can't apply the tech stock model to every other segment of the market without torching real companies that do real things that society really needs.

Reactions: 4 users
The money is there for CMGs lets be real that's why they have millions in capital. They may not be able to afford 1000 an hour of 500 an hour indefinately but they get money from the contract to pay the coders, C suites, recruiting and credentialing. They are not making money but they aren't losing that much either
Just because the money is there doesn't mean they are making money off of the doctor, which is what the poster was referring to that if they paid $1000/hr they were making $1100/hr. Obviously they can do this for a short period of time but even if they go back to normal rates, their capital dries up and they either need to raise more capital or they end up like APP.

Money is there from all the loans/debt they take on but eventually dries up. Unless they can see a worthwhile return, they are going to look to exit the project. VC is not in the business to float a break even/mildly profit company unless there is a way to exit with a big payout.

Problem with VC and medicine is both are not aligned. One is just for profit and the other is to provide good care/work environment.

I have been involved in a handful of FSERs and if it was VC run, we would have closed. The debt burden is unbearable especially the first 2-3 years when you are working just to break even.

Private equity is not in business to help you. They’ve come to get their pound of flesh and get fat. Once they’ve made their kill and picked the carcass clean, they’ll leave it for dead and walk away.

Unless PE is writing you a single check for an asset, that allows you to walk away risk free and never work again, don’t go into business with these vultures. Ever.

At $1000/hr they are losing money hand over fist but they are doing it because they know it's only for a little while. If they swoop in and take over a bunch of contracts they can't afford to screw it up. Would make it much harder for them to get the next contract. So, they pay whatever they have to to make sure the place is staffed, or even over staffed, until things settle down, they get some permanent hires and they can start ratcheting back the staffing levels again.
Yeah this is the joke. Our SDG overhead was probably no more than 2-3% after removing billing/medmal taken out. No way CMGs even get close to this with all the C-suite/big office buildings.

Our group went from no paid officers to TH having two regional directors + office staff that costs 1M+/yr
Yep, we were down to about 6-7% for billing. Med mal was billed to the individual partners since their rates varied and they paid it with pre-tax dollars. Everything else came in around 4-6%. Of course we didn't have a "Chief of Total Rewards"(an actual C-suite position) or carved ice sculpture fountains and private party rooms at ACEP but somehow we managed without those...

• Wow
The way I explain it to laymen is this.

I want to buy a 1M home. I put down $200K and 800K debt. Once I get ownership, I find someone willing to put in 500K debt. I now have 1.3M debt and 300K in my pocket. I spruce up the house and make it appear more valuable. If I can sell for 2M, I pay off debt and put another 700K in my pocket. If its not worth my time or money, I will file bankruptcy and move on.

I forgot for my trouble of managing this deal, I pay myself 100K/yr and then when I file bankruptcy, pay myself another 200K to manage the bankruptcy.

Either way, I made my money. Similar to Toys r Us VC takeover. They put so much debt on the company, it was doomed for failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I still don’t understand why these giant hospital system like Methodist are always hiring CMGs to run their EDs

Why don’t they hire and run their own EDs? I don’t get the benefit of farming out the ED

I still don’t understand why these giant hospital system like Methodist are always hiring CMGs to run their EDs

Why don’t they hire and run their own EDs? I don’t get the benefit of farming out the ED
If you hire and run your own ER as a hospital… you have to hire and run your own ER. You need to get the docs, do the billing and coding, find a practice manager, do the schedule, yadda yadda. There are key upsides but you could also…

… listen to a slick CMG presentation, hand them the keys, and not worry about it (I know, I know)

Just more stuff to make you mad. Sounds like people aren't being paid for their last 2 months of work and aren't getting tail coverage. Team and USACS offered to cover both if people signed new contracts immediately. Extortionate.

Just more stuff to make you mad. Sounds like people aren't being paid for their last 2 months of work and aren't getting tail coverage. Team and USACS offered to cover both if people signed new contracts immediately. Extortionate.
If any of those physicians work one more shift at these places, then they deserve whatever they get. Don't pay me for 1 month? I'm done, good luck filling your shifts.

Reactions: 7 users
If any of those physicians work one more shift at these places, then they deserve whatever they get. Don't pay me for 1 month? I'm done, good luck filling your shifts.

Yep I would walk and I would say malpractice is irrelevant since you are just donating your time

Also a two year contract? If you sign that you’re going to be worked to the bone

Last edited:

I mean that's easy to say but harder in practice

I really think ours is literally the worst specialty.

I probably have one of the best jobs in my state, and it's still toxic and abusive.

Doesn't help that docs come to my shop from some of the most dysfunctional EDs in the country and think my place is heaven.

The game changed for me with the rise of violence directed at healthcare workers and realizing that my overlords don't care whether I live or die at work.

The way I explain it to laymen is this.

I want to buy a 1M home. I put down $200K and 800K debt. Once I get ownership, I find someone willing to put in 500K debt. I now have 1.3M debt and 300K in my pocket. I spruce up the house and make it appear more valuable. If I can sell for 2M, I pay off debt and put another 700K in my pocket. If its not worth my time or money, I will file bankruptcy and move on.

I forgot for my trouble of managing this deal, I pay myself 100K/yr and then when I file bankruptcy, pay myself another 200K to manage the bankruptcy.

Either way, I made my money. Similar to Toys r Us VC takeover. They put so much debt on the company, it was doomed for failure.

Forgive me: but how are you paying yourself 200k in bankruptcy?

So these folks continued to work for ~2 months without receiving a paycheck? I don't understand how that worked.

If even one of my bi-weekly paychecks failed to show up, neither would I until the issue was resolved. My CMG would be in breach of contract.

They made get paid eventually during the bankruptcy settlement when remaining assets are divided off. Typically employee salaries have high priority versus other creditors.

Forgive me: but how are you paying yourself 200k in bankruptcy?
You need a good amount of lawyers and managers to take the company through Bankruptcy. I am quite certain APP or one of their subsidiaries are being paid $$$ while the group goes through bankruptcy/paying off 1st line creditors.

This is the most pitiful treatment of providers I have seen if this is true. 2 months? 50K may not be a great deal in the long term, but the anger of working for 2 free months would be long lasting.

Yeah this is really bizarre. Especially after the past week or so when it’s clear the checks are probably never coming. Who is still going to work??

Yeah this is really bizarre. Especially after the past week or so when it’s clear the checks are probably never coming. Who is still going to work??
My guess is they get paid monthly so it wasn't until last week that they realized they weren't getting paid for the work done in June.

Lots of reasons someone might keep showing up.
1. You are hoping whoever takes over the contract or the bankruptcy court makes you whole in the end.

2. You are hoping by working your medmal coverage stays current and you don't have to go looking for a tail. Of course if APP isn't paying the premium...

3. You still need a job after Aug 1st and figure you need to be a team player if you are going to get hired on by whoever is running the show next

4. You have some sense of loyalty to the institution, the nurses, the patients, or your coworkers.

5. You don't have anything else to do this week

Still doesn't forgive anything APP has done. They also have caused everyone working for them on a work visa to no longer be eligible to remain in country. All good reasons to get out early if it seems like your private equity supported CMG is looking a bit shaky or has bunch of loans coming due.

I mean that's easy to say but harder in practice

My guess is they get paid monthly so it wasn't until last week that they realized they weren't getting paid for the work done in June.

Lots of reasons someone might keep showing up.
1. You are hoping whoever takes over the contract or the bankruptcy court makes you whole in the end.

2. You are hoping by working your medmal coverage stays current and you don't have to go looking for a tail. Of course if APP isn't paying the premium...

3. You still need a job after Aug 1st and figure you need to be a team player if you are going to get hired on by whoever is running the show next

4. You have some sense of loyalty to the institution, the nurses, the patients, or your coworkers.

5. You don't have anything else to do this week

Still doesn't forgive anything APP has done. They also have caused everyone working for them on a work visa to no longer be eligible to remain in country. All good reasons to get out early if it seems like your private equity supported CMG is looking a bit shaky or has bunch of loans coming due.

This is what I waa referring to.

Well really 1, 2 and 3.

Couldn't care less about the nurses or institution (4), and could think of 584 things to do instead of work in the ED (5).

At sites with high volume and low acuity (they exist) it’s not hard to see 4-5 pph without mid levels (scribes, etc).

Private equity is not in business to help you. They’ve come to get their pound of flesh and get fat. Once they’ve made their kill and picked the carcass clean, they’ll leave it for dead and walk away.

Unless PE is writing you a single check for an asset, that allows you to walk away risk free and never work again, don’t go into business with these vultures. Ever.

I think exclusively blaming VCs and PE misses one very large point: it’s the physicians who partnered with VC and PE that screwed their colleagues and got us in this mess.

I’ve said it before: the same docs who paid next to nothing for their medical school tuition, bought their beach houses for fraction what they’re worth today, and made money hand over fist for decades are the same money-grubbing $sshats who destroyed a profession by taking future value out of our pockets.

Reactions: 4 users

Labor law and “abandonment of patients” etc make it not that simple.

You’re not abandoning any patients because the ER is not yours in the first place. If you’re on site, you don’t pick up any more patients after you finish this following you don’t pick up any more and you’ll leave at the end of your shift.

Also, just because your name is on the schedule, doesn’t mean anything you could be taken off at the moment if admin doesn’t like you, so if you don’t get paid, there is no labor law labor implies that you have to continue to work.

Especially since if you’re working with APP you’re an independent contractor

Last edited:
Lol what?

Patient abandonment laws have to do with physicians who have long term relationships with a patient. This does not apply to ER docs by definition.

I don't know what you mean when you simply say "labor law."

The only entity responsible for ensuring an ER is staffed is the hospital. They can do that by, you know... paying doctors to do so. There is no obligation for you to work a shift in the ER if you aren't getting paid. I sure as hell wouldn't show up if they stopped paying me.

I think exclusively blaming VCs and PE misses one very large point: it’s the physicians who partnered with VC and PE that screwed their colleagues and got us in this mess.

I’ve said it before: the same docs who paid next to nothing for their medical school tuition, bought their beach houses for fraction what they’re worth today, and made money hand over fist for decades are the same money-grubbing $sshats who destroyed a profession by taking future value out of our pockets.
I agree with you that doctors who’ve gone into business with PE share blame. That’s inherent in my statement that private equity are vultures and never intend to be mutually beneficial to doctors.

Anyone that knows that, or doesn't do enough homework to see it, and goes into business with them anyways, shares responsibility.

Yet how many EM doctors sign up to work for them, still? How many will continue after this APP fiasco?

Thousands.

I know many doctors who, if you asked them to define what “Private Equity” is, and how it relates to EM, would not have a clue.

I bet many that work for private equity groups like APP didn’t even know they were working for ruthless corporate raiders, until after the “Going Out Of Business” email came.

Last edited:
There is no labor law that requires a person to work for free.

As an EP, once you admit a patient, transfer their care to an associate, or treat and discharge them, there’s no obligation for ongoing care by that doctor. The ED itself, carries that burden.

Patient abandonment for an EP would be walking out unannounced mid-shift, without transferring care of ill or injured patients to another provider.

Labor Law? WUT?

If it were me, I would send and email to the medical director that you have severe vomiting and cant make it due to health issues. Done. You leave you options open, never quit/"abandoned" your shift. Wink wink...... Director will understand and everyone else above them.

Docs in general are business ignorant and only care about how much they make for how many hrs they work. They miss out on what business really is where money is really made.

Also if you can't afford not getting the pay for past 1-2 months why are you still working? Its not like you are getting paid. A two year contract just to cover work that you already did? No you still owe me for it if you took over the contract

Also if you can't afford not getting the pay for past 1-2 months why are you still working? Its not like you are getting paid. A two year contract just to cover work that you already did? No you still owe me for it if you took over the contract

Yeah, if you get that juicy contract, you best pay me for the work that I did.