APP’s Cause of Death- The PE Business model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Labor law and “abandonment of patients” etc make it not that simple.

Well not simple, but for different reasons. If there are bonuses due at any point in the future, you walk away from those. The physician contract probably has some clause where there Is a 30 day out if the payor doesn’t meet the contract. If you don’t show up for a shift, you’ll get sued for the cost of the locums pay to replace you. Yes you’re in the right but you’re going to have to pay a lawyer $450/hr to prove it and get your pay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re not abandoning any patients because the ER is not yours in the first place. If you’re on site, you don’t pick up any more patients after you finish this following you don’t pick up any more and you’ll leave at the end of your shift.

Also, just because your name is on the schedule, doesn’t mean anything you could be taken off at the moment if admin doesn’t like you, so if you don’t get paid, there is no labor law labor implies that you have to continue to work.

Especially since if you’re working with APP you’re an independent contractor

I can’t disagree with anything you’ve (or the other responses to my post) written. However, very real precedent the the courts don’t see it that way, and given that you’d be going against the hospital system and a medical board who does NOT work for you…

It sucks.

I can’t disagree with anything you’ve (or the other responses to my post) written. However, very real precedent the the courts don’t see it that way, and given that you’d be going against the hospital system and a medical board who does NOT work for you…

It sucks.
I'd take that chance all day every day. I would never work without getting paid period. Go ahead report me to the board.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take that chance all day every day. I would never work without getting paid period. Go ahead report me to the board.

Agreed. I think there’s a lot of really bad advice in this thread. If your pay doesn’t arrive as scheduled, they, not you, are in breach of contract. I would at that point retain counsel just to cover my butt and absolutely would not show up for any shifts until the breach was resolved.

It sucks.

Show me where there’s precedent that’s relevant to this scenario. This is complete nonsense.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. I think there’s a lot of really bad advice in this thread. If your pay doesn’t arrive as scheduled, they, not you, are in breach of contract. I would at that point retain counsel just to cover my butt and absolutely would not show up for any shifts until the breach was resolved.

You’re thinking like a normal worker.

You’re also acting like retaining counsel is just a snap of the fingers. $500/hr. Retainer for at least 20 hours of work usually. I’m not giving you advice (shrug). I personally don’t care what you do.

But your response suggests a whole lot of hubris and these situations, unique to physicians, aren’t “normal” and they aren’t favorable for us. This is part of the problem. I’m on your side and don’t agree with it, but it is what is and I’m just saying be careful, thoughtful, and methodical.

I 100% wouldn’t recommend just “stop showing up for shifts until it is resolved”. The unintended consequences could be dire, and if you pull that and it turns out you get paid in full two weeks later, good luck keeping your job if you just decided to not show up while you got all emotional and upset, justifying it that you were in the right (which you no doubt are). Being “right” here is small consolation for what might actually happen.

why even risk any legal issues? Call in sick. Your throwing up and dehydrated. You have severe abd cramp. Done. You have medical issues.

Reactions: 2 users
why even risk any legal issues? Call in sick. Your throwing up and dehydrated. You have severe abd cramp. Done. You have medical issues.
I really like the way you think. I wouldn't "retain a lawyer" unless someone actually threatened legal or board action. "Retaining a lawyer" isn't cheap and a big waste of money in this scenario. Just be too sick to show up for work.

Add another one to the list of headaches of working for a CMG - not getting paid. Never once has been an issue or concern of mine working as part of my SDG.

while you got all emotional and upset

I’m just reading the contract. You seem to be coming at this far from the other end of the spectrum. You’re also the guy in the other thread who sounds absolutely terrified of medical boards.

Add another one to the list of headaches of working for a CMG - not getting paid. Never once has been an issue or concern of mine working as part of my SDG.
"Not getting paid" is not a "feature" of CMGs – SDGs who fall behind on collections can have payroll issues, regardless. I imagine this present "no surprises" environment and the obstructive nature of payors is stressful to all comers.

• Okay...
Anyone working for the EM Alliance or w/e group in Sarasota/Bradenton that replaced APP? I just remember seeing a letter from the CEO but I’d like to see what docs experiences are working for this group So far.

Anyone working for the EM Alliance or w/e group in Sarasota/Bradenton that replaced APP? I just remember seeing a letter from the CEO but I’d like to see what docs experiences are working for this group So far.
I heard it’s basically some scam thats owned by a podiatrist? Maybe im wrong. Seems stupid. But CEOs are experts in stupidity.