ERAS 2017-2018 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice on ranking the following programs. Interested in interventional.

Lankenau
UIC - Chicago
Case Western
SLU - St Louis
Ochsner
USF-Morsani
Hofstra-Northshore

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone share their impressions of cleveland clinic. Obviously high volume, but I'm not sure how it compares to other academic programs (i.e Hopkins, Columbia, Penn) for job opportunities since the majority of people go into practice from cleveland clinic? Is this purely personal preference or from limited opportunity?

Can anyone share their impressions of cleveland clinic. Obviously high volume, but I'm not sure how it compares to other academic programs (i.e Hopkins, Columbia, Penn) for job opportunities since the majority of people go into practice from cleveland clinic? Is this purely personal preference or from limited opportunity?

It depends on what you want to do. I interviewed there too, and really did not get the feel that it is an academic program, though they will tell you that the opportunities exist if you seek them. Clearly they are a very clinically heavy fellowship (to the extent of feeling like a residency) and will open doors to private practice anywhere. I don’t think CCF training opens doors at Penn, Hopkins or Columbia after though. Personally, I would rather be at a traditionally academic program that opens doors for me no matter what I want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what you want to do. I interviewed there too, and really did not get the feel that it is an academic program, though they will tell you that the opportunities exist if you seek them. Clearly they are a very clinically heavy fellowship (to the extent of feeling like a residency) and will open doors to private practice anywhere. I don’t think CCF training opens doors at Penn, Hopkins or Columbia after though. Personally, I would rather be at a traditionally academic program that opens doors for me no matter what I want to do.
CCF seems to be really good clinically. If you are trained very well I don't think you will have trouble getting a job academically.

Last edited:
CCF seems to be really good clinically. If you are trained very well I don't think you will have trouble getting a job academically.
CCF is clearly lacking in basic/translational research opportunities. Also- with how busy the fellowship is, it’s highly unlikely that you will be writing grants and implementing your own project from start to finish. That being said- if you are highly self motivated, enjoy clinical/database research and are looking for a 80% clinical/ 20% research academic job post fellowship you may be fine. Like I said it depends on what you’re interested in.

Hi everyone,
I am planning to apply in an upcoming cycle to a new cardiology fellowship program that will be starting at the same institution where I am finishing IM residency. Can anyone share their thoughts / experience / insight into the possible pros and cons of being the first class of a new program?

Thanks very much

Not true. CCF is an amazing place to train and will open many doors. A lot of people there are already from the top institutions you named and are powerhouses in the field so you can end up wherever you choose. The fellows do a lot of clinical research and publish a ton. No one is going to have to time to do basic science research as a fellow unless their in a research track doing a T32.

Last edited:
Can any one comment on Rutgers NJMS?

It has a big reputation but no one I talked to liked their visit there. Why the big name?

Having a bit of a tough time on deciding where to put U Arizona Tucson vs Mt Sinai Miami Florida?

U Arizona is really awesome, they have HF, Transplants, amazing volume of everything, but I also got a research heavy vibe from them. I haven't been out west before so the vibe was different for me coming from the east, but everyone seemed really nice.
Sinai Miami seemed to be very well rounded too, no HF on-site but can rotate at Columbia and good HF matches elsewhere if going that route; Not a huge negative for me.

Location not an issue (though Miami is certainly more attractive). Future is HF or Interventional, not entirely decided.

Thanks!

Miami is a lot more collegial. No autonomy at Arizona. I would go Miami over Tucson.

Thanks bud. This was really helpful actually.
Can I ask where your insight into this is from? Thanks!!

Interviewed there and know some people there. It’s probably not the ideal program if you’re interested in a hardcore academic career, certainly won’t close doors, no program closes doors if the fellow is motivated enough to publish. Really depends what career you want but be cautious of the CCF kool-aid that sometimes gets passed around.

Members don't see this ad :)

Speaking for UA, I think the program is on the rise, especially for HF as Dr. Sweitzer (the chief of Cardiology) is the editor of Circulation-HF. EP is very strong too with great advanced fellowship placement (Stanford and uPenn) and good connections.

The program overall is shifting away from the heavy duty clinical service model and moving more towards a traditional academic research-based fellowship. This will take some time, but in the next few years, should be much more academic.

Overall very solid if interested in HF or EP. Weaknesses would be imaging and interventional (though certainly exposed to decent volume structural cases as a fellow).

Which programs stand out for interventional? Help me rank those 3 programs:

1. UConn- Farmington
2. UTMB -Galviston
3. Lankenau

Last edited:

I also know Arizona well since close friends of mine are there now and I heard some stories. Faculty are more old school and like things to be done "their way". It is a good program but I would take Miami over Arizona. Good luck.

Does anyone know about MCW as a program? especially in terms of subspecialty fellowships.

Hey guys. I have 2 programs that are showing interest in me at a place on my rank list where I may very well match (higher programs are reaches) please help!
1. Northwell NSLIJ
2. Rutgers RWJ
I kind of seemed more at home at nslij, fellows seemed happier, they're expanding quite a bit, great job opportunity afterward, slightly more imaging. Although rutgers does seem to do more stuff like transplant (while I don't want to do that, I want to be exposed to everything in fellowship)
HELP! Outside perspective would be great.
(Thank you in advance)

Hey guys. I have 2 programs that are showing interest in me at a place on my rank list where I may very well match (higher programs are reaches) please help!
1. Northwell NSLIJ
2. Rutgers RWJ
I kind of seemed more at home at nslij, fellows seemed happier, they're expanding quite a bit, great job opportunity afterward, slightly more imaging. Although rutgers does seem to do more stuff like transplant (while I don't want to do that, I want to be exposed to everything in fellowship)
HELP! Outside perspective would be great.
(Thank you in advance)

Both comparable, go with your gut and where you think you'll be more happy.

What do you guys think about:

West Virginia University Vs Ochsner Vs Albany Vs SUNY Downstate

Any thoughts on the following programs, in terms of ranking (based on overall training for noninvasive cardiology):

1. Washington Hospital Center / Georgetown -- liked the multiple hospital system, has a VA, seemed like overall training was good.
2. Jefferson -- great location, seemed solid. One hospital system. Like location better that WHC and Monte but not sure if training is as good? How would people compare it to WHC and Monte?
3. Montefiore - living/working in Bronx sounds tough, and has the NYC culture it seems like. May be best program on the list.. is it a mistake to rank it below WHC, Jefferson?
4. Northwell - seemed like a nice environment. Location better than Monte
5. University of Maryland.

Just want to get a general idea of which programs out of the above are stronger in terms of training.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Looking at a few programs, grateful for insight

UTMB
UT San Antonio
Baylor Dallas
Scott and White
USF Tampa

Baylor and Scott and white likely better if not interested in academics specifically, which I wouldn't necessarily want to shut the door to but not a huge focus for me. Interested in interventional or perhaps heart failure. All programs seem to offer varying degrees of interventional and heart failure exposure but all seem reasonable. Had a few other interviews as well but already have an idea of how to sort them.

good luck with the ROL guyz!!

any thoughts on temple cardiology program and how it compares to NYMC-Westchester??

thanks much

Does anyone have any input on ranking these three or even just thoughts and impressions on any of the programs. It's felt like an eternity since Interviewing would be nice to hear others perspective.

Spectrum health (grand rapids)
Lehigh Valley
Creighton

Good luck with rank. Don't forget 9 pm deadline to certify.

Any interview at Yale? Was wondering if anyone would care to share their thoughts on this program.

Any interview at Yale? Was wondering if anyone would care to share their thoughts on this program.

Personally didn't care for it. Met only one fellow the entire day, the PD seemed awkward, got no sense of the clinical training, all they talked about was their research. Having said that, a friend loved it and ranked it highly, different strokes.

Personally didn't care for it. Met only one fellow the entire day, the PD seemed awkward, got no sense of the clinical training, all they talked about was their research. Having said that, a friend loved it and ranked it highly, different strokes.

Ya I didn't think too highly of it either; looks like this program has been on the decline in the last few years.

Does the fellowship match work similar to residency where we find out whether we matched or went unmatched the Monday before Match day?

Aloha everyone.

I was MIA bc my wife made me promise sometime in September to stop obsessively/addictively checking SDN and flipping out like a crazy person. Ergo, I dropped off. Just wanted to sign back on for completeness' sake + to help future generations of us when no doubt they will be memorizing this thread... ;)

First, this interview season WTFDeal man. WTF. OMG. I cant brain it... WTF. Essentially zero love from my own state (OH) despite being from a good University program here (did courtesy at home program). Yet... other amazing interviews would suggest it is not related to competitiveness.

Let's do an exercise to see where we stand (for mutual benefit of everyone. Peers can see where they stand and be prepared. Ppl who haven't received ivs, plz contribute too. All your inputs count.

Pick one of options for questions one and two. Question 3 is jus descriptive

1. AMG/IMG VISA/IMG NO VISA
2. UNIVERSITY/UNIV AFFILIATED/COMMUNITY
3. NUMBER OF IVs

1. AMG MD
2. UNIVERSITY-AFFILIATED
3. 18 offers, went on 13. Applied to 60. I posted my background earlier. wasn't sure given my (hopefully) attractive portfolio, what to expect AT ALL so I applied broadly to mainly University programs in decent locations and a few good community ones (married, wife, 2 kids, we want adventure!).

Utah, Brown, UAB, U Kentucky, St Vincent Indianapolis, Baylor U Dallas, U Arizona Phoenix, USF Tampa, U Vermont, SLU, VT/Carilion Clinic, Kettering Medical Center, Wright State.

Invited but either physically could not go, or really wasn't that interested, either ways I cancelled ASAP to spread the love to everyone else. :) Cancelled included: UT Knoxville, William Beaumont, Aurora Healthcare (WI), Penn State Hershey S, University of Kansas Med Ctr.

Needless to say, I'm still totally scratching my head. During the seaosn, I was increasingly flipping out approaching critical mass. As an AMG with what I thought was a pretty solid app, getting rejections from 80% of the very same places I even IV'd for Residency!!and regional ones that should be a lock or even safety.. rejections from so many expected ones.. but then some good invites coming in to save the day.

Wow this is all eye opening, I don't think anyone realized how competitive this cycle would be. Too late for us but this info will help applicants next year to be better prepared. Keep the contributions coming!

For the applicants that have >12 invites what do you think has made the difference? Your resident program reputation? Your residency performance? Your scores? Publications? Multiple degrees? Connections? Letters?

Well, two areas that I perceive as not as strong as they could be, maybe? a Step 1 >220 (although my Step 2&3 were great, >240, > 230), and what I would say is probably an average but not major national program reputation for being University based-IM.

What do I THINK helped in my case?
1. sheer volume and quality (PubMed x5, non x5) of publications, including first author
2. I wrote a small book on internal medicine, it's literally nothing any of us haven't read, just a "Intern Survival Guide"- but it was pretty awesome to be able to at every interview give each PD a copy with my picture & bio on the back (that's probably all they read, but that's all they need to right?). My advice: I'm a mere mortal, I just wanted this bad enough and got scrappy and creative. If you take enough notes on anything, there you go- there's your book (obv editing required). Doesn't have to be good, but if a PD googles your book- awesome.

3. presented internationally and also AHA+ACC ? Maybe was just good for personal statement bling, but I got asked "So what did you present on Cardiology internationally?"
4. actually several places commented on how good my letters supposedly were... IDK if many others are getting this so its just standard interview-speak, or if they actually made a *slight* difference. But I got this comment at 4-5 different places. I tended to subscribe to what I've read on here, that all of ours are probably decent and similar.

5. Good fortune??? I mean WTF not even getting interviews in my own state.

Mini-success story:
Have been emailing programs the last few days. One of the programs initially responded to me stating that they are not extending additional interviews and they are overbooked for now. One week later, I get an interview from them.

There is hope guys. Don't give up. Good luck. God bless.
I agree as I emailed multiple places too, some before any interview invite and it DID result in me getting an interview at 3 programs on my rank list. So do not give up hope! (but do not pester!). I was very very professional, sincere, really really genuinely interested, and didn't pester.

Ignore it. They may actually be honest, but there are programs out there that try to get applicants to rank them highly so the match works in their favor. Likewise, ignore silence from a program, some have a no contact policy.
**trying to ignore silence**. I did send very professional thank you's to everyone. My top 5 I sent handwritten professional thank you's as well. I emailed several interviewers I felt I had very positive connections with. Post-Thankyous, I heard back from 3 of my top 5. The PD at my #1 knew me from my away rotation I did there (bc I love their program so much). Even so, I got a fairly politically correct (though kind and personal) reply. (But I did get a reply!!)

Anyways... WHAT A SEASON.

Now, THE WAIT IS KILLING ME.

Hope this helps & good luck all.

This cycle I learned USMLE scores and residency program name played a huge role in where you get invites.

Sucks they still have USMLE cutoffs for fellowship screening.

Do programs find out early or at the same time as us?

Do programs find out early or at the same time as us?
fair q. My PD did say that for residency they find out a day early.. Not sure for fellowship.

Anyone know if there's any way to find out early>?? lol

Anybody know of someone who matched at one of their top 4-5 programs on their rank list without having heard back from those programs post-interview? Or was it fairly obvious for them that they would be matching at those programs based on post-interview communication?

Anybody know of someone who matched at one of their top 4-5 programs on their rank list without having heard back from those programs post-interview? Or was it fairly obvious for them that they would be matching at those programs based on post-interview communication?

Yes plenty. Probably that's even majority of cases complete silence and then you just match.

Remember SDN is a completely un-representative microcosm.

I know most of the fellows at my #1 choice who all emailed the PD, never heard back at all, not even once, no politically correct thank you, no generic 'thanks for playing'. Now I wouldn't read into a generic reply from any institutions, either. We all desperately want to read the tea leaves. Don't read them.

The only communication that generally seems to be valuable is when we tell a program clearly and unequivocally they're our #1... or if a program would happen to volunteer the same towards us. But that's it.

I wish the leaves were more clear!!

This is the week everyone... driving me crazy.. hope you all have a great week.

Reactions: 1 users
Same, last week has been going by painfully slow.

Less than 48 hours now.
Days getting slower as match day approaches. Has been a long/tough/tiring season.
All the best to everyone here!!!!

So.. anyone feel like passing the final 24 hrs with a round of what's a unique interest/hobby of yours that other ppl less likely to discover?
(Sry if a little high school.. avoiding a nervous break).

I'll go:
-Shooting clay pigeons w/ dad, over-under double barrel 12 ga.
-tinkering with/driving fast cars
-secretly, my wife recently got me to watch a sappy Hallmark Christmas movie.. and I kind of liked it...

Good luck everyone!

Good luck to everyone! Finger crossed everyone here has a good match day. <3