Epilepsy, Clinical Neurophysiology Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staphylococcus Aureus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm training in child neurology with interest in treating epilepsy in children and young adults (but open to any adult) in a non-academic job.
1) What exactly is the difference between epilepsy, clinical neurophysiology with EEG or epilepsy focus, and other such (adult + pediatric vs pediatric epilepsy, etc) fellowships?
2) What is the utility of this fellowship for private practice or non-academic, particularly if child neurology trained? i.e. job opportunities to read EEG remotely
3) Can child neurologists treat adult epilepsy after a one year epilepsy fellowship?
4) What are the "best" places for epilepsy fellowship?

Thanks as always!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I did both of these fellowships, and I still don’t completely know the answer to this question ;) My understanding is that the split between neurophys and epilepsy are somewhat historic- like back in the day, there were PhDs who did neurophys (like Peter Kellaway), and NOT epilepsy management, so it was relevant then.

In terms of getting a job, every job posting I’ve seen looks for either one of these interchangeably.

Practically speaking, the neurophys board exam is more painful (b/c it’s equal EEG and EMG), so if you have a choice, the epilepsy board is easier.

2) Ease with EEGs certainly with help with child neuro jobs, and if you are given the opportunity to read them, that’s some easy billing. There are remote EEG reading jobs out there. Also, don’t forget remote IOM reading jobs (many more of these), which prefer for you to have a neurophys fellowship (but it’s not strict).

3) Technically, yes. My fellowship was actually nearly half adult. But otherwise...I mean, Peds epilepsy tends to be much more complex- many kids with intractable epilepsy have severe genetic disorders and don’t live to adulthood. So, if you can manage those kids, you can manage an adult. That’s my somewhat biased opinion. (Biggest difference is that with adult epilepsy, you’ll need to get comfortable with AED management in pregnancy).

4) For peds, any big center with a comprehensive epilepsy center and lots of volume.

Feel free to PM me if I don’t see a post here (I log in somewhat sporadically)

Reactions: 2 users
1) I did both of these fellowships, and I still don’t completely know the answer to this question ;) My understanding is that the split between neurophys and epilepsy are somewhat historic- like back in the day, there were PhDs who did neurophys (like Peter Kellaway), and NOT epilepsy management, so it was relevant then.

In terms of getting a job, every job posting I’ve seen looks for either one of these interchangeably.

Practically speaking, the neurophys board exam is more painful (b/c it’s equal EEG and EMG), so if you have a choice, the epilepsy board is easier.

2) Ease with EEGs certainly with help with child neuro jobs, and if you are given the opportunity to read them, that’s some easy billing. There are remote EEG reading jobs out there. Also, don’t forget remote IOM reading jobs (many more of these), which prefer for you to have a neurophys fellowship (but it’s not strict).

3) Technically, yes. My fellowship was actually nearly half adult. But otherwise...I mean, Peds epilepsy tends to be much more complex- many kids with intractable epilepsy have severe genetic disorders and don’t live to adulthood. So, if you can manage those kids, you can manage an adult. That’s my somewhat biased opinion. (Biggest difference is that with adult epilepsy, you’ll need to get comfortable with AED management in pregnancy).

4) For peds, any big center with a comprehensive epilepsy center and lots of volume.

Feel free to PM me if I don’t see a post here (I log in somewhat sporadically)
Out of curiosity, why did you choose to do both fellowships?

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to do both fellowships?
Yeah...I got talked into it. I was told that if I didn’t do both, I might not be eligible to be an attending for the surgical epilepsy service. I thought I wanted to have that option open to me.