Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is the MPH forum, but I have some questions about Phd programs in Epidemiology that hopefully someone can answer:
1) Do you have to get a MPH before going for the PhD?
2) How competitive are these programs, especially the higher ranked programs? Do they usually accept people out right out of undergrad without work experience?
3) Finally, what is the job outlook for PhD's in Epidemiology? Is it worth getting a Phd, or would a MPH suffice for most positions?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

In the world of public health, people typically do get an MPH or an MS, or alternatively, some other advanced degree (often an MD), as well as some work experience, before they will be considered for a PhD program. Unlike most other sciences, people do not generally apply straight to PhD programs right out of undergrad. (There may be exceptions, but I'm just not aware of any. All of the doctoral students I know in public health got master's degrees or medical education first, and I know that my department won't even accept its own *master's* students into the PhD program now without a year of work experience first except in exceptional cases.)

I haven't looked for a job post-degree yet, so I can't speak to the job outlook with any real authority. In general, my impression is that with a PhD, one can often get higher-level positions than with only an MPH (in the absence of, say, and MD). Of course, some people with "just" MPHs do manage to get really interesting jobs with good levels of responsibility/independence as well. To some extent, that probably depends a great deal on what other experience you bring to the table, what area of public health you're in, and the vagaries of the job market in your area at the time you're looking. A PhD opens some doors, e.g. to academia or high-level research positions in governmental agencies than an MPH alone would not.

Hope this helps.

agree with above. My old SPH requires that applicants to the PhD in epi have completed or be near completion of a masters degree in a related field. There was one woman in my MPH program who had lots of work experience who did her MPH then went straight into her PhD. No clue on the job market. Why would you want a job when you can stay in the Ivory Tower all your life? :p