Endodontist out 4 years, did start up practice/corporate/traveling/public health. AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppershayker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I be of value to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you feel completely ready after residency? How many cases did you do?

How was your experience working in corporate vs private office?

You never feel completely ready. Corporate was nice because you always had patients. Private wa nice because fees were better and you have control. But you also had to market for patients

Members don't see this ad :)
How many years were you an associate before deciding to start your own office? How did you pick your location for a start-up? What do you think of buying an office from a retiring endodontist?

What was your average production with corporate and then with the start up? How many procedures per day would you typically complete?

What was your average production with corporate and then with the start up? How many procedures per day would you typically complete?
4-8K. Depends on the day and what kind of teeth 4-7 cases. Some endos do 16:)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
How often are you doing surgeries? Did you do many surgeries in residency?

what do you think about buying a practice straight from residency? (Either building or transitioning an endodontist out).
Is there another way to figure out how many endodontist in area besides AAE/google?

Do you see 10 year olds who smack #8 on the pavement and need endo or even just an endo consult on the viability of the tooth?

I'm an ortho in the NYC metro and I had to call a lot of endo offices to find one that would see patients under 12. Until this experience, I had no idea Endo had the luxury of limiting their practices by age. The next best (worst?) option I would have had would be to refer the kid to the local residency program.

what do you think about buying a practice straight from residency? (Either building or transitioning an endodontist out).
Is there another way to figure out how many endodontist in area besides AAE/google?
I did a start up right after residency and learned a lot. Made a lot of mistakes. Depends on your personality, if you have mentors, etc.

Google or just talk to the general dentists

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
depends on your personality. Nice if you want to be an associate. Ask a more specific question so i can give you a more specific answer
I’m about to start endo residency next year. I’m a bit introverted though (have been faking extroversion for the last 5 years as a GP lol). What do you think introverts struggle with?
I imagine clinical endo will be nice but networking to get referrals will be difficult.

I’m about to start endo residency next year. I’m a bit introverted though (have been faking extroversion for the last 5 years as a GP lol). What do you think introverts struggle with?
I imagine clinical endo will be nice but networking to get referrals will be difficult.
Dm me your email and I'll help you through residency

Did you go to residency straight out of school?
Do you have any advice for someone starting residency straight out of school? Feels like I will slow everyone else down

Did 10 in residency. Don't do much anymore as people lean towards implants at that point

What setting (private office/traveling/public health/specialty corporate/general corporate) would you recommend working in for the first 2-3 years out of residency?

Goals would be to continually improve treatment quality, not get sued, and make as much as possible…

Did you go to residency straight out of school?
Do you have any advice for someone starting residency straight out of school? Feels like I will slow everyone else down
Yes! Do your own thing and just learn like crazy. I was the only one straight out of school but I ended up doing the most cases. Mindset baby! Dm me your email and let's connect. Would love to help you crush it!

Depends on your personality. And your end goals. Sounds like associating might be your gig. Corp is definitely speed. Feel free to Dm

Had a couple of questions if you don't mind! I'm a recently graduated endodontist.
  • How many cases were you doing per day in your first year out? How long did it take for you to get up to speed where you are now doing 4-7 cases per day?
  • Were you practicing corporate at a GP practice or endo? I'm working at private endo offices and I'm wondering if I should take on a couple days a month at a GP practice, as I've heard it's more productive - easier initial cases and able to refer the more difficult ones out. Is this your experience as well? Trying to pay off some loans hanging over my head. :)
If I have more questions, can I DM you as well?

Hey! Sorry for he late response, SDN did not notify me.

3-4 cases when I first got out. Speed depends on how easy the cases are, how good your assistants are, etc.

Yea give it a shot! I liked it and I didn't have to do any marketing!

Please DM me👍🏻. Would love to help!

Had a couple of questions if you don't mind! I'm a recently graduated endodontist.
  • How many cases were you doing per day in your first year out? How long did it take for you to get up to speed where you are now doing 4-7 cases per day?
  • Were you practicing corporate at a GP practice or endo? I'm working at private endo offices and I'm wondering if I should take on a couple days a month at a GP practice, as I've heard it's more productive - easier initial cases and able to refer the more difficult ones out. Is this your experience as well? Trying to pay off some loans hanging over my head. :)
If I have more questions, can I DM you as well?
Hey! Sorry for he late response, SDN did not notify me.

3-4 cases when I first got out. Speed depends on how easy the cases are, how good your assistants are, etc.

Yea give it a shot! I liked it and I didn't have to do any marketing!

Please DM me👍🏻. Would love to help!

How many years were you an associate before deciding to start your own office? How did you pick your location for a start-up? What do you think of buying an office from a retiring endodontist?
Started right away. Low rent and already built out.

I would rather do start up, but everyone is different. Referrals may or may not keep referring to you

Do you see 10 year olds who smack #8 on the pavement and need endo or even just an endo consult on the viability of the tooth?

I'm an ortho in the NYC metro and I had to call a lot of endo offices to find one that would see patients under 12. Until this experience, I had no idea Endo had the luxury of limiting their practices by age. The next best (worst?) option I would have had would be to refer the kid to the local residency program.
A lot of endos do this. By the time it gets to me it is usually splinted and repositioned and prob needs endo

how good your assistants are
I've never seen an endodontist work, so excuse me if this sounds a bit silly, but do your microscopes have a screen facing your assistant showing them what is you're doing? When I think of microscopes, I think of neurosurgeons and ENT's, and their microscopes have a screen so the tech can watch it and anticipate what to get next for the surgeon, thereby ensuring a much smoother workflow during the surgery. Is this a thing in endo or nah?

How important is getting a CBCT scan before starting a RCT as a GP? Necessary, or something that's nice to have but not required?

I've never seen an endodontist work, so excuse me if this sounds a bit silly, but do your microscopes have a screen facing your assistant showing them what is you're doing? When I think of microscopes, I think of neurosurgeons and ENT's, and their microscopes have a screen so the tech can watch it and anticipate what to get next for the surgeon, thereby ensuring a much smoother workflow during the surgery. Is this a thing in endo or nah?

How important is getting a CBCT scan before starting a RCT as a GP? Necessary, or something that's nice to have but not required?
I've assisted a couple of endo residents and their microscopes had like a camera that connected to a screen that showed what they saw and were doing

Fancy offices have this. People have different opinions on the CBCT before every treatment or not. Depends on the case, but there are definitely people who take it before every case. THey are in the minority though