Endodontic Residency Interviews 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had Georgia email me a couple of weeks back and tell me I needed to take the TOEFL. I thought this was ridiculous since I'm a 29 year old citizen and have been in the US since I was 5. I've never been asked to take it before, and what really irked me was the person on the phone was insistent that it was normal protocol, and used improper grammar to tell me otherwise they had no way to prove I was proficient at English . After some back for forth and an email, they granted me a "temporary waiver" for the TOEFL and said if I were to be admitted, I'd have to bring copies of my high school records. In my opinion, though, the damage was already done when I refused to take the TOEFL. I'm sure I was red flagged, and needless to say, I was not invited for an interview. Luckily I have a couple of invites. Has anyone else had this experience?
I had the exact same experience as you, I was able to submit my SAT scores (from 14 years ago!) to complete my application. Did not get an invite to interview either :(

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts Interview - July 30, July 31, August 1, August 2 (email)

Reactions: 1 users
It's a discriminatory practice. We're not international students. To assume I can't speak English because I wasn't born here is to assume just because you're born here you speak better English than I do. Did they ask "Americans" for their SAT scores to prove their English literacy? It's ludicrous.

I had the same experience last year. Ive told the lady on the phone that i finished college, dschool and residency here so I assume I can communicate effectively enough. She was adamant about me having to send my TOEFL score (which i took 15 years ago) to their school (score is usually valid for 2-3 years). After back and forth talking, I just hang up the phone and said bye...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes... I didn't hear from them, Guess I'm not getting an invite there. Does anyone know if they do more than one round of interviews?

University of Minnesota - July 27 (email)

Reactions: 1 user
Yikes... I didn't hear from them, Guess I'm not getting an invite there. Does anyone know if they do more than one round of interviews?
well I received the payment email yesterday but no invitation either.. don't know what to think but I'll keep waiting.

well I received the payment email yesterday but no invitation either.. don't know what to think but I'll keep waiting.
I have been trying to get ahold of them forever, no reply at all. I know its a busy time for them but its frustrating.

I forgot to ask, did you receive an interview invite or were you informed that interviews are on these dates and invites sent out by email?

I have been trying to get ahold of them forever, no reply at all. I know its a busy time for them but its frustrating.

apparently they have a new email address:
[email protected]

I forgot to ask, did you receive an interview invite or were you informed that interviews are on these dates and invites sent out by email?
interview invite with the option of those 4 dates!

Albert Einstein Medical Center- July 23 (Phone Call)

Albert Einstein Medical Center- July 23 (Phone Call)

Does this mean that if you've heard from them by now, they are done sending out interview invites or could they continue to send out interview invites up to July 23rd?

Does this mean that if you've heard from them by now, they are done sending out interview invites or could they continue to send out interview invites up to July 23rd?
Just means that they have sent out invites for that date. I don't have any other information other than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just means that they have sent out invites for that date. I don't have any other information other than that.
They called this afternoon, so they weren't done sending out invites yesterday...

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to Rutgers and got an interview there last year. What do you want to know?

Midwest owl are you a re-applicant? It's my first cycle. A lot I don't know. for starters do most programs have 1 interview date and that's it? I applied to SLU, Minnesota, Louisville, Tennessee among others and didn't get any interview invites out of them. I didn't know if there was still hope or if I am pretty much dead in the water at this point. SLU and Minnesota is my own fault, not reliant on PASS and I didn't get them in soon enough. Louisville and Tennessee man they were fast to the draw. couldn't have had more than a day or two to review applications before they sent out invites.

Midwest owl are you a re-applicant? It's my first cycle. A lot I don't know. for starters do most programs have 1 interview date and that's it? I applied to SLU, Minnesota, Louisville, Tennessee among others and didn't get any interview invites out of them. I didn't know if there was still hope or if I am pretty much dead in the water at this point. SLU and Minnesota is my own fault, not reliant on PASS and I didn't get them in soon enough. Louisville and Tennessee man they were fast to the draw. couldn't have had more than a day or two to review applications before they sent out invites.

No, Im a first year resident now. Application process sucks so one time is enough for me. I applied to those schools last year too but those mentioned schools invited ppl super early so I didnot make the cut at those schools ( my PASS was completed on 6/18 but SLU and Louisville already invited ppl on 6/14 or so). Some schools have 2 or multiple interview dates so it totally depends on the schools.

It is a little late but not too late - if you want you can definitely add a few more schools to your list. I remember Case Western invited me in early Oct for interview so some schools definitely take their sweet time. Best

Last edited:
MidwestOwl do you mind to share your experience of application and interview?
How many schools did you apply and how many interview did you get?
It is anxious to wait, wondering how did you make through the hard time period?

MidwestOwl do you mind to share your experience of application and interview?
How many schools did you apply and how many interview did you get?
It is anxious to wait, wondering how did you make through the hard time period?

Hey I applied to about 20 schools last year, got interviews from 11. My application was delayed due to late submission of LORs; as a result, there were a few schools that had already sent out interviews before I had a chance to enter the competition (schools still gladly took my secondary fees though)
Application process was quite costly and stressful. Luckily I was busy working at that time so work definitely helped to distract me a little. Ive lost 20 lbs during the process though. I tried to lose some weight now but it didnt seem to work???

Last edited:
No, Im a first year resident now. Application process sucks so one time is enough for me. I applied to those schools last year too but those mentioned schools invited ppl super early so I didnot make the cut at those schools ( my PASS was completed on 6/18 but SLU and Louisville already invited ppl on 6/14 or so). Some schools have 2 or multiple interview dates so it totally depends on the schools.

It is a little late but not too late - if you want you can definitely add a few more schools to your list. I remember Case Western invited me in early Oct for interview so some schools definitely take their sweet time. Best

MidwestOwl, congrats on getting into a program last year! Do you mind sharing which program you are at, and how has your experience been so far? Thanks!

MidwestOwl, congrats on getting into a program last year! Do you mind sharing which program you are at, and how has your experience been so far? Thanks!
Most programs start July 1st or later, so today would have been his/her first day.

From the response you're getting, it sure doesn't seem like any Rutgers applicants are on SDN. Wish I could help. Sorry.
Thanks.... I sent out all the documents to Brenda. is she the right person to send? she never replied on any document receipt yet. One more thing, what was the ADAT cut off for interview last year?

Thanks.... I sent out all the documents to Brenda. is she the right person to send? she never replied on any document receipt yet. One more thing, what was the ADAT cut off for interview last year?

I would give her a call, i dont remember her name but she was really responsive last year. they can give you an interview before your ADat; However, i think they wait for the result before making final decision. that was what happened last year...

Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry-July 16,, Phone

Does anyone know if this is confirmed?

Doesn't sound correct because on the PASS search engine, it states the following: "Interviews will likely take place on July 15, July 22, or 29. There will be only 1 interview date but that exact date has not been set as of yet."
July 16th doesn't sound accurate to me.

Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry-July 16,, Phone

Does anyone know if this is confirmed?

Doesn't sound correct because on the PASS search engine, it states the following: "Interviews will likely take place on July 15, July 22, or 29. There will be only 1 interview date but that exact date has not been set as of yet."
July 16th doesn't sound accurate to me.
They already sent out interviews. Those dates you posted are Sundays. Don't be offended if you didn't get an interview. They very heavily favor Texans.

Last edited:
They already sent out interviews. Those dates you posted are Sundays. Don't be offended if you didn't get an interview. They very heavily favor Texans.

ouch, thanks for assuming I got offended.
I just like to know the truth. Thanks!

ouch, thanks for assuming I got offended.
I just like to know the truth. Thanks!
I apologize I'm speaking from my experience (of being offended). I didn't get an interview either. Not this time, or the last. In fact, I didn't get a confirmation that my application was completed, or that I had been rejected. Just never heard back from them. But I did call them last week to confirm, they have already called up their interview invites.

While we've got Texas on our minds, any word from Houston? or LSU?

I apologize I'm speaking from my experience (of being offended). I didn't get an interview either. Not this time, or the last. In fact, I didn't get a confirmation that my application was completed, or that I had been rejected. Just never heard back from them. But I did call them last week to confirm, they have already called up their interview invites.

Thanks. Check your PM. I sent you a message.

A friend of mine has an interview for Houston on the 30th.

I know its only Tues, but it seems like a slower week for interveiws. Perhaps its because 4th of July is Wednesday. I updated the list FYI.

I know its only Tues, but it seems like a slower week for interveiws. Perhaps its because 4th of July is Wednesday. I updated the list FYI.
Last couple weeks have felt a little slow. I think we’ve only added about 4-5 schools the last 2 weeks. I’m actually surprised how few schools have sent out interviews at this time. Regardless, rolling administration is an interesting process. Some schools seem super eager and some seem super laid back.

Just got an email invite to Minnesota on 7/30. I guess they weren't done.

While we've got Texas on our minds, any word from Houston? or LSU?
Got an email from LSU saying my app was complete a couple weeks ago, but that’s it. Have you heard anything more from MUSC? They should have started going through apps by now.

Got an email from LSU saying my app was complete a couple weeks ago, but that’s it. Have you heard anything more from MUSC? They should have started going through apps by now.

I got the same email from LSU. I've heard nothing from MUSC. Although with the holiday tomorrow I'm not all that surprised. Hopefully we hear something next week.

This whole cycle is making me a bit nuts... its like APPLY IN MARCH (jokes)... then wait 6 months :uhno:

Any updates from BU, USC, UPenn and Temple?
Not a peep! This whole process is so ridiculous. Some schools get done in July and some schools don't even BEGIN reviewing applications till after their deadline (for eg WVU as per their email). I'm getting stress-induced alopecia thanks to this BS!

Not a peep! This whole process is so ridiculous. Some schools get done in July and some schools don't even BEGIN reviewing applications till after their deadline (for eg WVU as per their email). I'm getting stress-induced alopecia thanks to this BS!

I got my invitation to WVU last year in late June, unless they have changed some thing, you guys should hear from them by now...

I got the same email from LSU. I've heard nothing from MUSC. Although with the holiday tomorrow I'm not all that surprised. Hopefully we hear something next week.

This whole cycle is making me a bit nuts... its like APPLY IN MARCH (jokes)... then wait 6 months :uhno:

The director from LSU will contact you to schedule a phone conversation with him. Watch out, it is an informal interview so dont say anything crazy on the phone... then he will invite you to the school for the real interview if he likes you enough

Any updates from BU, USC, UPenn and Temple?
I heard Temple will most likely send out invites next week. I think they just started to review applications last week. Its so hard to say though. I am feeling pretty antsy.

Last edited:
I heard Temple will most likely send out invites end of this week or next. I think they just started to review applications last week.
I have tried to reach out to them a couple of times to verify if my application is complete but haven’t received any reply from Linda. Have they sent out an application complete email?

I have tried to reach out to them a couple of times to verify if my application is complete but haven’t received any reply from Linda. Have they sent out an application complete email?
Linda emailed for missing items (photo) . Once she recieved those she siad I was all set.

Linda emailed for missing items (photo) . Once she recieved those she siad I was all set.
Sorry I mispoke. I called Linda and she told me I was missing my photo. She emailed me once she recieved it saying my applicatoin was complete. So many programs I cant keep it all straght.

At what point, time-line wise, would you start worrying about not getting interviews in this cycle? Mid-July?

Last edited:
At what point, time-line wise, would you start worrying about not getting interviews in this cycle? Mid-July?
Check the 'endo residency 2018' thread from last year. It lays out a pretty good time line. People were still getting interviews in early August, but most programs were finishing up by then.

The director from LSU will contact you to schedule a phone conversation with him. Watch out, it is an informal interview so dont say anything crazy on the phone... then he will invite you to the school for the real interview if he likes you enough
LSU started calling today. And it goes just as MidwestOwl said it would.

LSU- August 3rd, phone call from Dr. Kent Sabey