Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dramkinola

Psychiatry Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any endocrinologists/residents in here?
if it's not too much trouble, could someone post some info on Endocrinology? like how many years it takes, programs, subspecialities, lifestyle, typical cases seen, etc...
would be a great help...
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

endocrinology is an internal medicine subspecialty. It's 3 years of internal medicine residency, then 2 years of your endocrinology fellowship. They deal a lot with diabetes and thyroid disorders.

Mayo's endocrine fellowship is actually 3 years (the extra year is set aside for research). But that's probably an exception. I'd say *the* most typical case you'll see is diabetes (type I and II), so it's important that you not be bored by it. When I shadowed an endocrinologist one morning the first two patients were type II, and the third was type I with a history of Graves disease.

As for lifestyle, I think it's decent once you're done with the training - but you've gotta get through the IM residency first.

Members don't see this ad :)
what kinda procedures?

Well, I can't think of any procedures that an endocrinologist would do. Some of them have ultrasounds in the office to look at thyroids, but other then that, there are endocrine surgeons that handle the rest.

some do thyroid biopsies