Endocrinology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deecee2DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical student here. Asking anyone with experience in IM/Endo, applying for endo fellowship or any PDs out there in this specialty if there are any accelerated 2+2 IM/endo (2 years IM 2 yrs endo fellowships) or 3 + 1 IM/endo programs out there. I am interested in Endo and maybe a few other subspecialties but I am on the older side. Are all paths to endocrinology 3 yrs IM + 2 yrs fellowship? Sorry if this questions seems ridiculous, but can't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Medical student here. Asking anyone with experience in IM/Endo, applying for endo fellowship or any PDs out there in this specialty if there are any accelerated 2+2 IM/endo (2 years IM 2 yrs endo fellowships) or 3 + 1 IM/endo programs out there. I am interested in Endo and maybe a few other subspecialties but I am on the older side. Are all paths to endocrinology 3 yrs IM + 2 yrs fellowship? Sorry if this questions seems ridiculous, but can't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance!
No.

The only "fast track" programs include adding on years of research.

That is there do exist ways you can do 2 years of IM and then go straight on to fellowship - to do a 4 year endocrine fellowship (of which only 1 year has to be clinical). Technically the last year of that track (year 6) you are considered (and usually paid as) junior faculty, but you have to stay at the same institution. To get into one of those tracks, you have to have true heavy-duty research credentials.

Otherwise, 3+2 is the shortest you can get. About a quarter of Endocrine programs are still 3 years, so that would be 3+3.

Reactions: 1 user
No.

The only "fast track" programs include adding on years of research.

That is there do exist ways you can do 2 years of IM and then go straight on to fellowship - to do a 4 year endocrine fellowship (of which only 1 year has to be clinical). Technically the last year of that track (year 6) you are considered (and usually paid as) junior faculty, but you have to stay at the same institution. To get into one of those tracks, you have to have true heavy-duty research credentials.

Otherwise, 3+2 is the shortest you can get. About a quarter of Endocrine programs are still 3 years, so that would be 3+3.
Thank you!