Ending student loan forgiveness for congressional staffers? Students next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The 30% is your number--not mine!
It's the upper brackets if earned income that pay that...what hypothetical number are you referencing

Members don't see this ad.

It's the upper brackets if earned income that pay that...what hypothetical number are you referencing
That is just a nominal number! 99.99% of high income earners don't pay that... They have their army of lawyers or accountants to file their tax returns so they can use any stupid deductions possible.

My employer offers me compensation for my service. A significant portion of which is tied to taking loans that exist due to government interference in the market. The government charges an above market rate on those loans so I'm not even getting a deal on the loan...but I walk out on >$200k if I don't go their route.

I don't think their loan route should exist. I don't think their high taxation of me should exist. I vote and support candidates that want to end both. But as long as both exist and they tie $200k of my compensation to it, I'm going their route. I'm good at math. Wanting to end a situation forced on me doesn't mean I lost ability to navigate it wisely.

you're so f'ing clueless. The reason you can command such high salaries is because government has placed a huge barrier to entry to practice medicine.

You should be advocating for the complete abolition of medical boards as well as government taxation. You can't have it both ways, unless you love being a hypocrite, but then again, I've never met a Libertarian who wasn't one.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're so f'ing clueless. The reason you can command such high salaries is because government has placed a huge barrier to entry to practice medicine.

You should be advocating for the complete abolition of medical boards as well as government taxation. You can't have it both ways, unless you love being a hypocrite, but then again, I've never met a Libertarian who wasn't one.

I do advocate the elimination of government enforced licensing...I'm fine with customers needing to do their own homework in verifying skills of a service provider.

That is just a nominal number! 99.99% of high income earners don't pay that... They have their army of lawyers or accountants to file their tax returns so they can use any stupid deductions possible.

Real actual numbers show the lower half of the country doesn't pay a cent in federal income tax. After benefits received, they are literally a drain on the system. The wealthy still end up paying an effective rate of over 20% into a system that doesn't demand payment by the lower half only to have some of their money literally handed to the rest of the population. You can stop pretending that the wealthy aren't funding the country.

https://www.aei.org/publication/new...t-pay-fair-share-pay-almost-everybodys-share/

Real actual numbers show the lower half of the country doesn't pay a cent in federal income tax. After benefits received, they are literally a drain on the system. The wealthy still end up paying an effective rate of over 20% into a system that doesn't demand payment by the lower half only to have some of their money literally handed to the rest of the population. You can stop pretending that the wealthy aren't funding the country.

https://www.aei.org/publication/new...t-pay-fair-share-pay-almost-everybodys-share/

those darn rich people who weasel out of paying taxes. we're so lucky all the super hard working poor people pay so many taxes to keep our system afloat

I do advocate the elimination of government enforced licensing...I'm fine with customers needing to do their own homework in verifying skills of a service provider.
Boy! I really don't know if you are serious... Are you saying there should be no licensing requirement to practice, for instance, medicine/dentistry etc? You can not be serious! Should we eliminate all taxes as well?

Boy! I really don't know if you are serious... Are you saying there should be no licensing requirement to practice, for instance, medicine/dentistry etc? You can not be serious! Should we eliminate all taxes as well?

do you require licensing to determine if your carpenter is good at what they do?

I think cosmetic patients alone show that they are more than capable of evaluating a physicians capabilities if they really want to

do you require licensing to determine if your carpenter is good at what they do?

I think cosmetic patients alone show that they are more than capable of evaluating a physicians capabilities if they really want to
They will evaluate their physicians by word of mouth or calling Medical University of the Americas and ask them if Dr. Ernesto Zedillo graduated there... Comparing a carpenter with a surgeon--great!

Last edited:
They will evaluate their physicians by word of mouth or calling Medical University of the Americas and ask them if Dr. Enesto Zedillo graduated there... Comparing a carpenter with a surgeon--great!
There is only one carpenter I compare my surgeon to when deciding who will be my doctor

Reactions: 1 users
They will evaluate their physicians by word of mouth or calling Medical University of the Americas and ask them if Dr. Ernesto Zedillo graduated there... Comparing a carpenter with a surgeon--great!

yes, two service providers that have their own set of skills. there's nothing wrong with that comparison.

does that horrify you? you probably think docs are descended from the gods and that a magical unicorn comes down from the moon to tell you about your " calling"

@PL198 People in every profession complain about their jobs/position. I don't know why it's not okay for med. students to do the same. They are going to complain once they're doctors if they end up working for a ****ty job or hospital and they might not be able to do anything about it if they are forced to work in that location for reasons that they cannot control ie having family in the area. I think it's okay to be a little bit more nice about it, no need to call people an idiot for going to med school.

Reactions: 3 users
They can complain but not nearly as much as I hear. Medical students are giant babies. Whine about everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, two service providers that have their own set of skills. there's nothing wrong with that comparison.

does that horrify you? you probably think docs are descended from the gods and that a magical unicorn comes down from the moon to tell you about your " calling"

I think it's actually a narwhal from the north pole, and not a unicorn from the moon. A lot of people make that mistake though.

I am serious, the professional groups can certify their people like any guild does/did.....and customers can check the on the qualifications of people before hiring them

Being single with no dependents not owning a corporation or a house or really anything in only your name and making over a certain amount of money actually sucks. I am able to write off very very little, don't really have any "stupid deductions" and so basically hemorrhage money in taxes.

I'm gonna go buy a farm in India and not pay taxes in 15. F U government ><

I am serious, the professional groups can certify their people like any guild does/did.....and customers can check the on the qualifications of people before hiring them

And how would that work when someone gets in a car wreck and is sent to the ED...? And how will consumers know which professional group is valid?

Reactions: 1 user
And how would that work when someone gets in a car wreck and is sent to the ED...? And how will consumers know which professional group is valid?
Hospitals choose who works at their locations. For private, nonemergent situations, the consumer can be an adult and investigate qualifications on their own

Access to education improves quality of life for the poor. Our society needs people studying social sciences. It's too bad that a lot of them end up working in coffee shops, but if they are I think it's good that my baristas are educated. I want my farmers to be educated as well.

everyone in the US does have access to an education. it is called the public library and it doesn't cost a cent

you can throw a million dollars at a Baltimore rioter and not even get a GED

put a Pakistani immigrant like me at the public library and you will get a med student

if you want an educated population, the first step is to make the average American want to be educated. that desire comes before any monetary investment.

turn on the news. do you think the average lower class American wants to put in the hard work it takes to achieve the American Dream? they just want to watch this country burn.

Reactions: 3 users
everyone in the US does have access to an education. it is called the public library and it doesn't cost a cent

put a Pakistani immigrant like me at the public library and you will get a med student

if you want an educated population, the first step is to make the average American want to be educated. that desire comes before any monetary investment.

turn on the news. do you think the average lower class American wants to put in the hard work it takes to achieve the American Dream? they just want to watch this country burn.

If your parents don't take you to the library it's hard to get there. Anyway this is just such a large generalization. I don't know if the average lower class American wants to put in the hard work but surely many of them do. Those that do should have access regardless of whether their parents are interested in them succeeding academically.

The average lower class American does not want the country to burn. Generalizing all of the residents of Baltimore is not the way to go. I am quite familiar with their incredibly poor and dangerous public school system. Someone will basically shoot you over a nice jacket. But that doesn't mean that kids shouldn't be able to get out of that situation.

Last edited:
Have you watched The Wire? It's a great show.

This is gold. Same exact thing for obesity. Until people want it(or want to rid of it) , all the interventions and education in world are useless.

This is gold. Same exact thing for obesity. Until people want it(or want to rid of it) , all the interventions and education in world are useless.

It takes education to produce motivation. Have you ever helped someone in your life lose a lot of weight? Basically you have to talk to them a lot about what kinds of foods are appropriate, healthy recipes, not drinking soda, not eating fast food, exercising, etc. Then if you make that person feel like they matter regardless of his current weight and educate him with the tools he needs to make his own health better he will do it. It is the same with education. It is very difficult for a kid to see the power of education in complete isolation of a responsible, already enlightened and educated adult who wants him to succeed.

It is the same for the lower class as a whole. The upper class needs to stop criminalizing the lower class simply for existing and show them that they are an important and vital part of our society.

It takes education to produce motivation. Have you ever helped someone in your life lose a lot of weight? Basically you have to talk to them a lot about what kinds of foods are appropriate, healthy recipes, not drinking soda, not eating fast food, exercising, etc. Then if you make that person feel like they matter regardless of his current weight and educate him with the tools he needs to make his own health better he will do it. It is the same with education. It is very difficult for a kid to see the power of education in complete isolation of a responsible, already enlightened and educated adult who wants him to succeed.

You realize this is the exact opposite of what the american dream is, right?

Godless commie.

Reactions: 2 users
I keep The Communist Manifesto on my nightstand

Some of you were brainwashed by the system to believe in college. College - particularly here in the USA - is a business and wants as many customers as possible. You probably did make a mistake going to an expensive one, but it's not your fault that the crooks in DC changed the laws so a college grad can't discharge his college debt through bankruptcy... But no, instead of the posters getting mad at the crooks in DC for that, they get mad at you. This is the typical American "blame the little man" mentality, while they are okay with DC and the billionaires raping everyone.

I'd like to see what some peope would say if they had a big debt that they could not repay or discharge through bankruptcy. They'd probably be saying something different.

Even the "real" majors are having a hard time finding jobs - just look at how oversaturated fields like Accounting, IT, Law and Nursing are... and these colleges and the media are still brainwashing the children to believe that you have to fork hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education.

Getting an education should not hurt anyone; it behooves a country to have higher educated citizens. Investing in our citizens should be a top priority. Not screwing them over. It hurts all of us.

"Americans are a colonized people. Their government represents the colonizing powers: Wall Street, the Israel Lobby, the Military/Security Complex, Agribusiness, Pharmaceuticals, Energy, Mining, and Timber interests." - Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

You realize this is the exact opposite of what the american dream is, right?

Godless commie.

Anybody else notice how the American Dream somehow became dropping out of college, making a hookup app for smartphone, and partnering with big music streaming companies for sweet gimmicks as well as other companies to drop their brand names during a swipe sesh?

Yep. The primal drive for reproduction sells.

Those kids killed the system

Anybody else notice how the American Dream somehow became dropping out of college, making a hookup app for smartphone, and partnering with big music streaming companies for sweet gimmicks as well as other companies to drop their brand names during a swipe sesh?

Huh. There's like 1000 people doing that and being successful. That's not even a blip on the radar.

Some of you were brainwashed by the system to believe in college. College - particularly here in the USA - is a business and wants as many customers as possible. You probably did make a mistake going to an expensive one, but it's not your fault that the crooks in DC changed the laws so a college grad can't discharge his college debt through bankruptcy... But no, instead of the posters getting mad at the crooks in DC for that, they get mad at you. This is the typical American "blame the little man" mentality, while they are okay with DC and the billionaires raping everyone.

I'd like to see what some peope would say if they had a big debt that they could not repay or discharge through bankruptcy. They'd probably be saying something different.

Even the "real" majors are having a hard time finding jobs - just look at how oversaturated fields like Accounting, IT, Law and Nursing are... and these colleges and the media are still brainwashing the children to believe that you have to fork hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education.

Getting an education should not hurt anyone; it behooves a country to have higher educated citizens. Investing in our citizens should be a top priority. Not screwing them over. It hurts all of us.

"Americans are a colonized people. Their government represents the colonizing powers: Wall Street, the Israel Lobby, the Military/Security Complex, Agribusiness, Pharmaceuticals, Energy, Mining, and Timber interests." - Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

The world needs ditch diggers . My janitor doesn't need a liberal arts degree. If you're dumb enough to get stupid amounts of debt without obtaining anything of value, then no I don't feel any sympathy for you.

Lower class Americans are in a cycle of poverty, and they feel they're trapped. I can understand how someone feeling this way would relish in the idea of the infrastructure burning.

Yea Pakis can make it into med school. So can a lot of other immigrants. It's easy. You know why? Because we don't give a **** about Americans in our country. And it's sad as hell.

They didn't kill the system. It never existed in the first place.

Do you honestly believe that there are a lot of people who change their socioeconomic status throughout their lives?

Lower class Americans are in a cycle of poverty, and they feel they're trapped. I can understand how someone feeling this way would relish in the idea of the infrastructure burning.

Yea Pakis can make it into med school. So can a lot of other immigrants. It's easy. You know why? Because we don't give a **** about Americans in our country. And it's sad as hell.
So an immigrant getting better grades and outperforming someone means we "don't care about americans"?

So an immigrant getting better grades and outperforming someone means we "don't care about americans"?
Yes.

Sincerely,

-Your local immigrant getting paid to go to med school.

What does that have to do with "caring about americans"?

Lower class Americans simply do not have opportunity to escape poverty. We don't value our countrymen. It's that simple. Would you like me to draw a diagram for you?

Lower class Americans simply do not have opportunity to escape poverty. We don't value our countrymen. It's that simple. Would you like me to draw a diagram for you?
Bull$&@".......fafsa makes education attainable for everyone

Lol wut... Yeah let's do more for people in poverty, handing them their dinner clearly makes them want to work for it

Reward success, you get success. Reward failure, you get failure.

Bull$&@".......fafsa makes education attainable for everyone
Here, you're insinuating that an education = a ticket out of poverity. Nevermind the disparity in primary education, but there's also a lack of quality in higher education. I also think it's funny that you're insisting on people get loans here, when you're clearly against the government funding education.
Lol wut... Yeah let's do more for people in poverty, handing them their dinner clearly makes them want to work for it
You're right, we should take away food benefits to the poor. They'll probably be less violent that way. Ie; that's more for your protection than it is theirs.

I'd be interested in that diagram.
th

Here, you're insinuating that an education = a ticket out of poverity. Nevermind the disparity in primary education, but there's also a lack of quality in higher education. I also think it's funny that you're insisting on people get loans here, when you're clearly against the government funding education.
A well chosen education is absolutely a way out of poverty. Get a STEM degree and you can do quite well, get a poetry degree and your odds drop.

I do think that government should get out of the game and private money would gladly loan for degrees with good prospects...but they aren't out of the game, so everyone can have a loan for whatever they want

yes college is the answer to all our problems

more college, everyone should go to college. womens studies, pottery, poetry, music appreciation, art theory, hell whatever you want, just go to college

A well chosen education is absolutely a way out of poverty. Get a STEM degree and you can do quite well, get a poetry degree and your odds drop.

I do think that government should get out of the game and private money would gladly loan for degrees with good prospects...but they aren't out of the game, so everyone can have a loan for whatever they want
Ok. I think the gap here is you think it's easy to get a STEM degree for poor people. I have a real world example for you. My school is in a rich area. The urban school districts here have no STEM programs. We have tours and mentoring to the STEM students at our local high school. When we suggested some outreach opportunities to undereducated areas, we were shot down. #Merica. #Underserved. #$$$

yes college is the answer to all our problems

more college, everyone should go to college. womens studies, pottery, poetry, music appreciation, art theory, hell whatever you want, just go to college
I'd just settle for equal education from k-12. You know, that costs money as well.