Ending student loan forgiveness for congressional staffers? Students next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And you think the Baby Boomers are just going to sit on their collective asses and let that happen??

As of right now (under government management), Social Security will be insolvent by the time I'm eligible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1/ How about we start making billionaires/big businesses pay the same percentage of taxes that the rest of us do? Stop giving tax breaks to billionaires. Oh and let's make it a law that if corporates move their headquarters overseas, they still have to pay taxes!

2/ There's a humongous "tax bomb" at the end of IBR/PAYE. It's a trap. I don't think anyone gets "forgiveness" by signing up for these plans. The government gets their money back (plus interests) one way or another.

3/ It's disturbing how your tax money goes to the military/war and you have no problem with that. But you want to cut aid for students.

4/ The more access people get to education, the smarter/better the country.

5/ The best way to deal with this problem is to put a cap on tuition.
Those rich guys you hate already pay more income tax....half the coutry pays none

Read up on something before you comment

@SouthernSurgeon a good reason to bring up the military is because it's not the same water. The military and police exist to protect the rich. We can agree on this point, right?

Well, I think poor people should have equal protections. You know, like food. Like the large percentage of enlisted members who use food stamps, who by the way, do all America's dirty work. But hey, these people vote against their own interests, so I can't defend them so much.
Welfare programs (both corporate and social) should 't exist

Members don't see this ad :)
Welfare programs (both corporate and social) should 't exist

EuthanasiePropaganda.jpg

Private undergrads are closing because they don't have enough of a name to justify their tuition gap with public schools, harvard isn't going anywhere

The pharm/law schools closing aren't doing so because they can't find students...there is something else at play there but I don't know what. Law school is definitely a bad investment for most students right now but they keep lining up

Its because what the heck else are you supposed to do with an undergrad political science degree?

Same thing goes with medical school and why we will NEVER see a drop in apps. What the heck else you supposed to do with an undergrad Bio degree?

Because the government lacks the moral authority to be redistributing money

says the hypocrite taking the public dole to pay for med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Because the government lacks the moral authority to be redistributing money
But isn't that why we have elections? We choose what our taxes go into when we elect folks. So, in essence, politicians have the moral authority to do whatever they want as far as budgeting.

As of right now (under government management), Social Security will be insolvent by the time I'm eligible.
Then we should raise everyone's taxes to pay for it and Medicare also.

Members don't see this ad :)
But isn't that why we have elections? We choose what our taxes go into when we elect folks. So, in essence, politicians have the moral authority to do whatever they want as far as budgeting.
Elections don't mean anything with regards to moral authority, they are irrelevant

Why is the counterargument to bring up military spending?

That's like me saying your pool is dirty, and you respond by saying there is way more pollution in the ocean than in your pool. That doesn't change the fact that you need to clean your pool...
Because you can cut other parts of the budget like NPR and Sesame Street, but it won't do anything, if you're actually serious on cutting the debt. It's worse when the Pentagon specifically asks not to fund something saying they don't need more of it, and senators vote to pay for it anyway. The degree and magnitude matters.

Then we should raise everyone's taxes to pay for it and Medicare also.
Or let me spend my own money instead of taking it and losing it, which is what's happened so far. Taking more money doesn't fix the part where the government loses it.

You are incorrect about that
If that is in fact the case, then you should have no problems walking to your local bank and getting a lower than govt. interest rate for all of your medical school tuition. Good luck getting IBR and all the other acronyms you enjoy with govt. loans.

Or let me spend my own money instead of taking it and losing it.
Those are safety net programs for those who need our protection - the elderly and the disabled, of which we all will become one or both. Think of it as a charity contribution.

Those are safety net programs for those who need our protection - the elderly and the disabled, of which we all will become one or both. Think of it as a charity contribution.
Social Security is not a charity contribution. And due to government mismanagement, it will be insolvent by the time I am old and they will have lost the money that I earned and paid into it.

Social Security is not a charity contribution. And due to government mismanagement, it will be insolvent by the time I am old and they will have lost the money that I earned and paid into it.
It is for those who are disabled. I said think of it as a charity contribution to help you feel better about it. The reason it is insolvent because we're not paying enough in taxes.

If that is in fact the case, then you should have no problems walking to your local bank and getting a lower than govt. interest rate for all of your medical school tuition. Good luck getting IBR and all the other acronyms you enjoy with govt. loans.
I actually support candidates that would end those programs. Private banks would gladly loan money for degrees in fields that make sense from a risk perspective. A few hundred k to a physician? Absolutely. $90k for degree in 12th century environmentalist poetry? Nope

But as a service member I only get to use my loan repayment benefits on non-private loans..

It is for those who are disabled. I said think of it as a charity contribution to help you feel better about it. The reason it is insolvent because we're not paying enough in taxes.
It is not charity, and it is not primarily for the disabled. Charity is not forced at gunpoint.

Elections don't mean anything with regards to moral authority, they are irrelevant
What are you talking about? It's the basis of our entire republic.

Reactions: 2 users
What are you talking about? It's the basis of our entire republic.
Elections are how we choose some parts of our government. That doesn't mean that what they do is morally right.

Elections are how we choose some parts of our government. That doesn't mean that what they do is morally right.
No ****. But it does give them the moral authority to do what they do. That's why they can send troops to war and spend trillions of dollars, and hundreds of thousands of lives without being punished for it. Use your brain.

It is not charity, and it is not primarily for the disabled. Charity is not forced at gunpoint.
I didn't say it was primarily for the disabled. Taxes as a whole pay for a better society. It is part of the social contract, unless you want the US to become Somalia. If you take govt. loans, then someone was forced "at gunpoint" to pay for you to get that loan with low interest, IBR, PAYE, PSLF, etc.

then you're free to go to a country in which that doesn't happen. If you think our societal arrangement is so morally reprehensible, then the only moral and logical thing to do is renounce your citizenship and move to a country that is aligned with your moral standards. To do anything less is being a hypocrite of the highest magnitude.

of course you won't because all the things that make a country not a ****hole to live in require "redistribution at gunpoint".

No ****. But it does give them the moral authority to do what they do. That's why they can send troops to war and spend trillions of dollars, and hundreds of thousands of lives without being punished for it. Use your brain.
What in the world do you think moral authority means?

then you're free to go to a country in which that doesn't happen. If you think our societal arrangement is so morally reprehensible, then the only moral and logical thing to do is renounce your citizenship and move to a country that is aligned with your moral standards. To do anything less is being a hypocrite of the highest magnitude.

of course you won't because all the things that make a country not a ****hole to live in require "redistribution at gunpoint".
Nope; I have a right to stay here and speak up against crap I disagree with.

yep, right with the 3% of population that agrees with you. The rest of us will work towards making a society that isn't completely dysfunctional.

And you also have the right to be a hypocrite and take advantage of those govt. handouts to pay your medical school tuition, that was taken from the rest of us "by gunpoint".

What in the world do you think moral authority means?
When the government wages war, you don't think they're acting under moral authority? You think that because they have the power, they do? Under no other factors, aside from that?

No, it gives them legal power...not remotely relevant to moral authority
I didn't say it was primarily for the disabled. Taxes as a whole pay for a better society. It is part of the social contract, unless you want the US to become Somalia. If you take govt. loans, then someone was forced "at gunpoint" to pay for you to get that loan with low interest, IBR, PAYE, PSLF, etc.
I'll repeat, not a lower interest rate. And those programs should be eliminated.

No, it gives them legal power...not remotely relevant to moral authority

I'll repeat, not a lower interest rate. And those programs should be eliminated.
:rolleyes: I forgot only Jesus and his disciples hold moral authority. My bad. But since you're right, we should probably take away that power to destroy the world and all of God's creation.

i think loans are a travesty and education should be free

but nah let's put all our money into making old people live and foreigners die

i think loans are a travesty and education should be free

but nah let's put all our money into making old people live and foreigners die
Nothing is free, it all costs someone something

We should give the billionaires and businesses more tax breaks. Each of them does more to create jobs than you, me, or any employee could ever do. Overtaxing them would reduce incentives to work hard and create businesses.
It is not as simple as you put it... If a business has no one to sell its products, that business will not be able to create jobs..

It is not as simple as you put it... If a business has no one to sell its products, that business will not be able to create jobs..
Please don't imply that a 30% tax is for the benefit of those actually paying federal income tax

Do you think medical school could end up in a situation like that law school grads are facing right now?

Many have received financial hardship deferments or, like Mr. Shirkey, who accumulated $365,000 in student debt, including some undergraduate loans, received credits for public interest work. Federal government rules, revised last year, allow student borrowers who work in nonprofit and public sector jobs to have their loans forgiven after 10 years and to pay back their college loans based on their income and expenses.

“Otherwise, I would be very, very much in a pickle,” Mr. Shirkey said. “I anticipate that I will wind up working for the government or a nonprofit because I will need the credits to take care of my loan burden.

“Every time I look at the debt amount,” he said, “my heart beats a little harder.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/b...-school-graduates-struggle-in-job-market.html

You are incorrect about that

granted its a case by case scenario but for a private loan I got a 5% interest rate whereas the federal loan was at a 6.8% interest rate. So yes, sb247 is correct that the federal loan has a higher interest rate than a private one.

And you also have the right to be a hypocrite and take advantage of those govt. handouts to pay your medical school tuition, that was taken from the rest of us "by gunpoint".
You don't know how my tuition was paid, nor will you ever. Nice try at ad hominem though.

When the government wages war, you don't think they're acting under moral authority? You think that because they have the power, they do? Under no other factors, aside from that?
This is going way off topic but I don't support any kind of violence except that in self-defense. That's not really relevant to the subject at hand though.

You're still using them.
My employer offers me compensation for my service. A significant portion of which is tied to taking loans that exist due to government interference in the market. The government charges an above market rate on those loans so I'm not even getting a deal on the loan...but I walk out on >$200k if I don't go their route.

I don't think their loan route should exist. I don't think their high taxation of me should exist. I vote and support candidates that want to end both. But as long as both exist and they tie $200k of my compensation to it, I'm going their route. I'm good at math. Wanting to end a situation forced on me doesn't mean I lost ability to navigate it wisely.