EMT Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted202457

Can anyone tell me what is involve in getting EMT certified? how much they work? how long it takes to get certified? how much they make? and what the hours are like?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the program you go through. For me the EMT class was at a CC so it was a semester of 6hrs class/week, and two full Saturdays. After that it depends on your county in terms of what it takes to be certified. For me, I took the National Registry exam, gave the proof that I passed, to the county and they now allow me to work as an EMT.
When you say hours are you talking about once you get a job? From what I understand, for most ambulance companies you work 2-3 days at a time (you sleep at the station, and hope you don't get too many 2am calls ;)). For hospitals its different, usually 12 hour shifts.
How much do you make? not a whole heck of a lot!

Getting your EMT is pretty easy if you can find a program. You can usually find fast programs at community colleges that take a semester and then you sit for the national registry or state test. The hours on an ambulance vary. I used to work full time and you're looking at 50-70 hours a week (more if you want). As an EMT this will get you about 28000-32000 (estimation) a year. The pay is usually hourly and it varies depending on where you work and from state to state. I think it's a great way to get experience for pre-med. The field is usually pretty open to part-timer's too. The type of EMS services can be different. At one service we have stations and run 24 hour trucks. The full-timers are 24 on 48 off. The other service runs system status where we get to stay in the trucks and post around the city and county all day (generally 12-14 hour shifts rotating). Hope this helps.