EMT shifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlittlej

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are shifts like for an EMT-B? Can, for instance, a part-timer pick up a couple of 16-hour shifts a week?

Members don't see this ad.

jlittlej said:
What are shifts like for an EMT-B? Can, for instance, a part-timer pick up a couple of 16-hour shifts a week?
It really depends on where you work. Some systems work 24 hour shifts only and some (like mine) have 8, 10, 12, and 14 hour trucks. With my service, there are a lot of part-time employees. They actually have first pick, if you will, of which shifts they want, vs. full time employees. The reason being is that the company has to pay a full time employee overtime (time and a half) where as they only have to pay the part timer their regular pay. Just check with your local service and see what they offer their part-time employees. That would be about the best advice I could give you, since each system is different. Good luck with it! :) :thumbup:

jlittlej said:

I worked 16-hour shifts every Sunday in college. We also had 8, 12, and 24 hour shifts available.