EMT National Registry Proctor - good EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centralline

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you all think being a proctor for the EMT National Registry Exam is a good EC? It was only one weekend of testing, but it really honed my EMT skills and makes my patient assessments a lot better.

Members don't see this ad.

bstone said:
have just taken the NREMT-Intermediate exam this morning, i will give the visceral reaction and say "grumble grumble".

i'll find out my results in a few weeks.

i don't see how it could hurt. sure, why not.

Sorry man, I tried to be nice to all the people taking it. Some people, however, just should have never come. Honestly, how hard is it to put on a traction splint?

centralline said:
Do you all think being a proctor for the EMT National Registry Exam is a good EC? It was only one weekend of testing, but it really honed my EMT skills and makes my patient assessments a lot better.

If you put it down as an EC, and you are asked about it, do you think that proctoring *once* for one *weekend* is going to impress them? Would it impress you if someone else listed it as an EC? Fair question.

Members don't see this ad :)
bstone said:
It wasn't that bad. I just think NR has to totally redo their written exams. Now the waiting game......ugg.

They are! It's going to be computer based "adaptive" -- or whatever its called -- next year. You know, where no two tests are the same. The computer pulls questions from a huge bank to zero in on your score. Very similar to what the GRE or GMAT does. It's in beta test this summer I think, supposed to go live nationwide next year. The EMS education coordinator here was briefed on the changes at a conference in April and I thought this was what she was told.

tkim said:
If you put it down as an EC, and you are asked about it, do you think that proctoring *once* for one *weekend* is going to impress them? Would it impress you if someone else listed it as an EC? Fair question.

I agree. I already decided that it would only look like "fluff" for my application. However, I really feel like it solidified my basic EMT skills; I went through about 40 trauma and 40 medical assesments. By the end of the day I was waiting for a code in the parking lot.

centralline said:

heck yeah!!

centralline said:
I agree. I already decided that it would only look like "fluff" for my application. However, I really feel like it solidified my basic EMT skills; I went through about 40 trauma and 40 medical assesments. By the end of the day I was waiting for a code in the parking lot.

Now, if there was some sort of qualification you needed to meet in order to be a proctor - certain practical skills test score, X years of experience, etc., then that would be different. The process to becoming a proctor is more valuable and interview-fodder than actually being a proctor. If you can work that angle, use it then.

tkim said:
Now, if there was some sort of qualification you needed to meet in order to be a proctor - certain practical skills test score, X years of experience, etc., then that would be different. The process to becoming a proctor is more valuable and interview-fodder than actually being a proctor. If you can work that angle, use it then.

I had to have an A in the EMT class when I took it and the recommendation of the instructor who taught the class. Still, I don't think that the experience is really all that valuable to my application. It just adds another EC to the mix and takes away from the ones that are more important.