Need advice on clinical ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passi0nFruittts

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-edit-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say do the scribing position. As a clinical care extender, you are not even allowed to clean beds. You restock rooms and grab water. Scribing, you'll at least get some experience with diagnoses, differential diagnoses, medical vocab, etc. It is glorified shadowing, but it's better than grabbing a pillow for a patient. Many people close to me were clinical care extenders in socal, PM if you have further questions about it. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a care extender at UCLA too. It's only 4 hours a week. I worked full-time and did research while doing this program. The commitment is not enough in my opinion to limit you to one or the other.

I disagree with @acbakshi on what you do as a care extender. I did way more than restock and clean. There's a reason they want you CPR certified. I helped with codes on multiple ocassions. I witnessed 15 live births - 12 vaginal 3 C-section. I helped clean and irrigate wounds in the ED. I know some people that said they got nothing out of it, but they also were only looking to check boxes. Also, again, low time commitment and at the end of the day, the program is reputable and an AdCom is not going to say it's not clinical enough.

I would say do the scribing position. As a clinical care extender, you are not even allowed to clean beds. You restock rooms and grab water. Scribing, you'll at least get some experience with diagnoses, differential diagnoses, medical vocab, etc. It is glorified shadowing, but it's better than grabbing a pillow for a patient. Many people close to me were clinical care extenders in socal, PM if you have further questions about it. Best of luck!

If you already have a term's worth of research, you don't need more for med school application purposes. Rather than accepting full-time hours in research, take the scribing job and use the extra time for non-medical community service.

Sorry for the late response. Thanks everyone for your advice :) I will try and do both for now since CCE doesn’t require a big time commitment.

I was a care extender at UCLA too. It's only 4 hours a week. I worked full-time and did research while doing this program. The commitment is not enough in my opinion to limit you to one or the other.

I disagree with @acbakshi on what you do as a care extender. I did way more than restock and clean. There's a reason they want you CPR certified. I helped with codes on multiple ocassions. I witnessed 15 live births - 12 vaginal 3 C-section. I helped clean and irrigate wounds in the ED. I know some people that said they got nothing out of it, but they also were only looking to check boxes. Also, again, low time commitment and at the end of the day, the program is reputable and an AdCom is not going to say it's not clinical enough.

Thanks for your reply! I actually am doing the UCLA program. Do you mind if I pm you about your experience?

Wow that’s awesome! Sounds like a great experience. I only know clinical care extenders in south OC, so maybe UCLA is different. The ones I spoke to were male and were not allowed in labor and delivery unit. Also the hospitals down there have ER techs for wound care and cpr. Glad to hear you got a lot out of it though!

I think taking the scribing position and using the rest of your time committing to non-clinical volunteering/service would be the best course of action. I also participated in the CCE program, though it was in Escondido/San Diego, but the experiences will vary depending on the departments that you are in.

As for the research, it depends on how much you already have, and whether or not you are targeting research-heavy schools.

Reactions: 1 user