Do I need additional clinical experience outside of EMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RamblingPremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

I have worked at a clinic for roughly 3 years and going as a Lead EMT Volunteer Clinician and I am wondering if I need additional clinical experience for the medical application? During this time I have shadowed PA's and 2 MD's. Can someone advise?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, 3 years and still going
Ha, I see that now. 3 years EMT volunteering plus shadowing 3 physicians ought to do it. I’d actually think EMT volunteering is a far better experience than the typical hospital volunteering aka cleaning patient rooms, running labs, directing visitors, etc.

EMT is good for clinical experience. How many hours have you worked as an EMT? How many hours did you shadow and in what specialties? If you are a re-applicant, I doubt this is the weak point in your application. You may be able to get better feedback if you share more application details (GPA, MCAT, other ECs, school list etc).

I have worked at a clinic for roughly 3 years and going as a Lead EMT Volunteer Clinician and I am wondering if I need additional clinical experience for the medical application? During this time I have shadowed PA's and 2 MD's. Can someone advise?
You have clinical exposure covered. You may want to explore other facets of medicine, but med schools will know that you know what you're getting into.