Emt Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of schedule does the typical EMT work? How long are the shifts and how many shifts a week etc...

ALso, if anyone has any info on the typical Chicago EMT work schedule that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

really varies by where you work. emergencies happen 24/7/365 so shifts cover all hrs. typical shifts are 12 or 24 hrs

Where I work, we do 10 hour days, 14 hour nights, with no limits on the length of the shift (meaning that people have worked 58 straight hours). As to total number per week, everybody who wants it gets at least 54 hours a week, and there are some who routinely work 68.

One of the other major agencies does 12/12, with a shift limit of 38 hours (36 hours scheduled, plus two extra hours in case you have a late call). Their full time employees are guaranteed 48, with "an honest attempt to give them 60."

In short, as said above, it varies greatly depending on where you work.

Members don't see this ad :)
i work in the boston area for a private company. we do either 8, 10, 12, 13.33, 14,16 or 24 hour shifts depending on what we want to do and our schedules etc. one of the reasons that i like the job is for the flexibility. i'll miss it!

Thank you so much

You guys are really helpfull

Basically, what they said.

The longest shift I ever pulled was like 96 hours or something. I worked 120 to 146 hours per week at one point. It was pretty neat, they would send to a rural area with low call volume for a 24 or 36 and then pull me into the city for a 24 or 36 and then send me back to the rural area to finish the shift (or vise versa) Most places don't let their people work that many hours in a week (and with good reason). I bet you'll be really surprised to find that the company got into some trouble with IDPH (Illinois Department of Public Health) and had to close a couple of it's stations. Oddly enough, it had nothing to do with the scheduling.

Man, was I realing in the dinero...

Basically, what they said.

The longest shift I ever pulled was like 96 hours or something. I worked 120 to 146 hours per week at one point. It was pretty neat, they would send to a rural area with low call volume for a 24 or 36 and then pull me into the city for a 24 or 36 and then send me back to the rural area to finish the shift (or vise versa) Most places don't let their people work that many hours in a week (and with good reason). I bet you'll be really surprised to find that the company got into some trouble with IDPH (Illinois Department of Public Health) and had to close a couple of it's stations. Oddly enough, it had nothing to do with the scheduling.

Man, was I realing in the dinero...

I used to work 24 hr shifts and my partner would often pick up lots of extra shifts at slow stations on his days off. he worked 30 days in a row on more than 1 occassion. the trick is to pull all the extra shifts at places with a call volume of < 5 pts/24 hrs.
that's a 720 hr month with overtime for everything over 160.....

My company has 9 hr shifts Monday thru Friday. 12 hrs rotating shift (one week you work Wed/thurs, the next week you work Mon/Tues and Frid-Sun), and then your 24 hr shift (24 on, 48 off).

Some services in the area has 10, 14, 16 hr shifts. So it varies.