EMT Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apoptosisisfun

No Reason To Get Excited
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found one thread in the archive about training courses, but it was vague as to the specifics of locating a class.

Do hospitals teach these courses, or is it only Superior/some colleges?

I'm in the general Chicago area and trying to find a course I can take over the summer or fall.

Also, what's a recommended path - volunteering first after certification?

Thanks! (This sub-forum needs a faq! :))

Members don't see this ad.

Check with your local community colleges, this is where the majority of the classes are. You can also check with local EMS agencies and some fire departments.

As for experience, it all depends on what is available in your region. Most major metropolitan areas have private ambulance services that do mainly interfacility transfers, and are almost ALWAYS looking for EMTs. This is almost like a right of passage for new EMTs to work on these transfer cars. It really is a useful experience because you get to see MANY patients, some with pretty interesting conditions. You've got plenty of time and opportunity to practice your history taking, detailed physical exams, etc. Plus you can read their charts and learn a LOT from these!

Other areas have volunteer fire departments and ambulance services that you can get 911 experience from. Again, this is another good opportunity if its available.

You probably won't be able to get a paid position running 911 right out of school, but if you do your time on a volunteer or a transfer car, after six months or a year you shold have the experience to get a paid position.

Nate.

What part of the general Chicago area are you in? Narrow down the area a little more and I might be able to provide you with a little more detail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just finishing up the EMT-B course at Malcolm X College. I've had a really good experience with it- very knowledgable instructor and good curriculum. I hear they also have a great Paramedic program if you are planning to move on to that.

Thanks for all the responses.

I live in Rogers Park (attending Loyola). I think I'm going to look at Malcom X since it's pretty close from Loyola's downtown campus.

Sylus - how did you get more information from there, contact the number provided? I only was able to find the EMT/Paramedic information pages, but they don't have any information on cost or availability.

Malcolm X has EMT B classes in the Spring and Fall, and registration is open up until the first day of classes (for fall, August 16th I think, or somewhere around there). The cost is about $520, more for books. Be sure to have a City of Chicago (not Chicagoland) address on your Drivers liscense, they charge more for out of city students, something like 1000 dollars. Wilbur wright college in the northwest also has classes starting in may I think, check their site as well (be persistent, it can be hard to find info on the city college websites). Also, many hospitals offer training as well, I think Illinois Masonic has a EMT class soon as well. I have no idea how to find out which hospitals offer training, you might just have to cold call HR departments.

Superior also has training, but I've heard it might have a bad reputation (though I heard it from a Malcolm instructor and a CFD medic, so I'm sure there's a possibility for bias), but Superior is also by far the largest Chicagoland Ambulance and from what I've heard the best paying.

If you do you class at Malcolm X they'll have plenty of career advice for you, they even do a sort of career fair during the last week of classes when they invite 2-4 ambulance recruiters to talk to you. Its best to think a lot about what you want to do. If you want a paramedic training some schools will pay for it. There's also a good range on how each company treats their EMT-Bs. Rumor has it that Superior is the best about pay and giving over-time, but has had poor relations with their EMTB staff.

All and all, working for a private ambulance co. (Advanced, Superior, ATI, MedEx, etc.) has been recommended to us for right out of graduation. They often work with established clients (especially smaller ones) and have plenty of low stress runs that give you experience while your getting your feet wet. You could also work for hospital (heard mixed things, but if your pre-med it might be the best option - Northwestern has EMTB as ED Assistants) or for a variety of contract providers. Privates though, are a good start and offer flexible hours, so if you want to work part time in a couple different ways (at hospital and with a private, you might enjoy it)

Thanks for all the responses.

I live in Rogers Park (attending Loyola). I think I'm going to look at Malcom X since it's pretty close from Loyola's downtown campus.

Sylus - how did you get more information from there, contact the number provided? I only was able to find the EMT/Paramedic information pages, but they don't have any information on cost or availability.
I emailed Tony Scipione who is the director of the program when I was looking into taking it and got this-

To: Prospective Student

Re: Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Training

The Health Sciences Department offers EMT training during the Spring and Fall semesters. This course prepares students to recognize the symptoms of illness and injuries and provide proper procedures of emergency care. After successful completion, students may sit for the Illinois State EMT-B Licensing Examination.

Course prerequisites include:

* 18 years of age or older

* High School Diploma or GED Certificate

* Successful completion of College English 101 (Composition), Biology 116 (Anatomy and Physiology), First Responder (103) OR the City Colleges of Chicago, Reading/Comprehension Placement Examination.

Note: Class schedule is subject to change. Reading/Comprehension examination is provided free of charge after students have applied to the college and are approved for classes.

Classes are conducted: Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Tuesday and Thursday from 1:30 p.m to 5:30 p.m.

Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

The EMT class is a six-college credit hour course. The tuition for Chicago residents is $432.00 ($72.00 per credit hour). There is also a $25.00 non-refundable registration fee and a $50.00 activity fee for part-time and $100.00 activity fee for full time students. Fees for out-of-district or out-of-state are higher.

You will be required to purchase and carry textbooks and supplies to class totaling approximately $200.00.

You may begin to register one month prior to the beginning of each semester.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EMS Program Office at

312-850-7410 or 7124.

Thank you.

--

Like the GeorgeFoster said, you can pretty much register whenever. I filled out Malcolm X's registration form and they email you a letter to bring in- so I went down there with it and they gave me a packet with more info on the program. You'll have to take their Reading exam which should be a cynch, show it to the program director, register for the class, pay, and then you should be all set.

Hope that helps. :)

Yep, thanks a lot. But "Biology 116 (Anatomy and Physiology)". That's going to be a wee problem. Loyola's Anatomy / Physiology class (for non-nursing school people) is a 300 level course, and thus impossible to get in to unless you're a junior/senior because of popularity :(

Yep, thanks a lot. But "Biology 116 (Anatomy and Physiology)". That's going to be a wee problem. Loyola's Anatomy / Physiology class (for non-nursing school people) is a 300 level course, and thus impossible to get in to unless you're a junior/senior because of popularity :(
Oh that part is kind of confusing, if you notice the "or" b/t the "(103)" and "the City", it means you don't need to have taken those classes as long as you can pass their Reading/Comprehension exam. :)

I obviously failed this reading comprehension exam :cool:

Hi, I graduate from Northwestern in June and I was wondering if you guys had any idea about EMT training courses that were offered in the summer and could be completed before September. I am applying to several SMP-style post-baccs and so I am not sure if I will be in the Chicago area after August, so I know it puts me in a bind if I want to finish the EMT-B training ~8 weeks :D

Emergency Medical Technician (120)
NOTE: Students must be admitted to the Emergency
Medical Technician Program to enroll in EMT courses. Classes start May 21 and end August 17, 2007.

http://malcolmx.ccc.edu/schedule/Summer07Credit/Summer 2007 Schedule fnl.pdf

I emailed Mr. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scipione on this course as well .superpidge, but haven't received a response yet.