emt classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilithny

yawn
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just a quick question.

i was going over my schedule for my emt 1 and 2 classes and there is lecture, lab and clinical.

is this a common thing in other programs? and what should i expect? i don't start til the 7th and i just want a heads up

Members don't see this ad.

This seems fairly typical-

I know my EMT-1 class involved 12 hours of class time a week for 10 weeks, and was a combination of lab and actual class. Then we had 10 hours of clinical that could be served on an ambulance through a company like AMR or volunteering in a ER-tech like position at a local hospital. This seems to be the standard for LA county...

Class is fairly easy, especially if you're professors are cool and add ancedoctal information as weel as their stories and experiences. I found lab to be what you made of it- you can just slip by, but the harder you work and the more you pay attention, the easier the practical exam will be.

The clinical should be fun- it's finally a taste of what you actually will be doing an ambulance/in an ER. I got to use a lot of the things I was taught in lab and got to see some cool cases- GSWs, textbook CHF, etc- but a lot of scut work too- on the ambulance you generally get assigned to carry EVERYTHING and in the ER you run thousands of labs. But I dug it :)

Best of Luck!

lecture: sitting in class

lab: learning how to do techniques using manikins and classmates

clinical: rotating in the hospital and on the ambulance