EMT-Basic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closer23

Liberal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I'm not really sure about Maryland but I don't think there is a big difference. In NY, it's around $13-15 per hour. The cost for tuition is probably around $550. Most CCs offer that certification class. You should be fine taking the test when you turn 18. Ok, hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
in IL the base salary is somewhere in the neighborhood of $8.50 an hour (it varies slightly, maybe up to $11, for different companies) for someone with fresh certification. often, companies will throw you a dollar or two if you complete your run sheets without any mistakes.

i made better money and got better experience working as a tech in the ER after getting my EMT-B. don't get me wrong, getting the EMT-B helped me get my foot in the door, but the experience alone in the ER was priceless.

Not entirely certain on Maryland's certification rules, but across the border here in Virginia, you can become an EMT-B at the age of 16. For courses, you can certainly look at community colleges, but you can likely find much cheaper classes through rescue squads. My initial course was taught through my squad, for $65 (waived if you were a member).

A few questions for an EMT-B in Maryland:

What age do you need to be to be certified? I'm guessing 18, but can you take all the classes and simply take the certification test the month you turn 18? (I'm 17, but I'm turning 18 not too long from now)

In Maryland, you must be at least 16 to be certified as an EMT-B.
What is the average salary per hour?

Salary depends on where you are. There are a number of private providers that hire EMTs. You can expect at least $10 per hour. Some of the counties hire EMTs and pay depends on other training you have.
How much would I expect to pay for the education?

The least expensive way to get your training is to join the volunteer fire company in your neighborhood. Volunteer companies will pay for your training. Depending on where you are in the state, your volunteer company might pay you per call.
Do most community colleges have EMT-B courses?

Yes, at least around the Baltimore-Washington-Annapolis area.

Last edited:
I checked my local community college and one of the prerequisites is a high school diploma, which puts that program out of the question. Where else can I find an EMT-B certification program? A perfect program would be one of the 3-4 accelerated programs that accepts people 16 and older. What places would offer EMT-B certification besides a community college?

I repeat:
The least expensive way to get your training is to join the volunteer fire company in your neighborhood. Volunteer companies will pay for your training.