EMT and full time student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glorified

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a full time student in the fall and just finished my EMT class.

How hard is it to work part time as an EMT and be a full time student at the same time? I guess on slow shifts I could study. However, doing transports I bet I wouldn't have that much free time to study? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a full time student in the fall and just finished my EMT class.

How hard is it to work part time as an EMT and be a full time student at the same time? I guess on slow shifts I could study. However, doing transports I bet I wouldn't have that much free time to study? Advice?

I worked part-time/full-time my entire undergraduate career with no problem. I tend to always have some time to study during a shift. If you have a station you are based out of it is generally no big deal to study. If you stage on the streets, just bring a bookbag in the rig and study when you are staged. Other than that just make sure you get all your work duties taken care of before you whip out the books and it should not be a problem at all.

I worked part-time/full-time my entire undergraduate career with no problem. I tend to always have some time to study during a shift. If you have a station you are based out of it is generally no big deal to study. If you stage on the streets, just bring a bookbag in the rig and study when you are staged. Other than that just make sure you get all your work duties taken care of before you whip out the books and it should not be a problem at all.

Same here. Although I should say my grades suffered for it at times, but that was mainly due to my own immaturity and lack of strong study skills. As long as you can keep yourself motivated to study hard on your down time and time off (which sometimes means a serious lack of any social life) then its certainly doable! Good luck!

Nate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiousity, about how many credits did you guys take each semester. Do you think 18 is way to much?

I worked 2-3 24 hour shifts a week and went to school 2 days a week that gave me about 12-15 units and leaves 2 days off a week for rest. this works for the general ed classes.
when you get in to taking sciences you have to put in more days in school and less at work because of labs. for me that ment going to school every day and working 48 trhrough the weekend - its not bad because school days end early but you dont have any weekends.
I was doing this as a medic and made enough money to pay for school and have some extra cash for toys and fun.

I would think working only transports would suck monkey ball, try to get on a 911 deal. you can study at work but I don't think you would have to. make the school days the study days. the class schedule usualy leaves some 1 or 2 hour holes that you can sit in the library and study for the upcoming class or the one you just finished.

Are you doing pre-med?

either way I think EMS is a good job option for college.

Basically pre-health. I haven't decided between PA or MD. Even nursing is in the back of my mind. I was thinking about volunteering at a 911. Hopefully I can find work fast. Don't know for sure if these companies will hire a 19 year old with moving violations.

Just out of curiousity, about how many credits did you guys take each semester. Do you think 18 is way to much?

I generally took about 16 hrs a semester while working full-time. This last year was my senior year and I took 17 hrs both semesters while working full-time. I didn't have much time for a whole lot else, but I am a generally boring type of guy.

Between 12 and 15. I also took two summer classes and got a couple of the credits from my paramedic to transfer so I could graduate in a reasonable period.

Nate.

I'll be taking 18 credits this fall semester. 5 courses plus a medical terminology course online. Kind of skeptical of it being online, because pronunciation may be harder to learn. If it sucks, I'll just drop it within a week and get the refund. Thanks for the advice. Don't know if I'll be working full time yet, but definitely will be part-time at least. (even if it is at the restaurant job.)

Basically pre-health. I haven't decided between PA or MD. Even nursing is in the back of my mind. I was thinking about volunteering at a 911. Hopefully I can find work fast. Don't know for sure if these companies will hire a 19 year old with moving violations.

alot of places, at least where I live, have a policy where you have to be 21 to drive an ambulance because of insurance. I don't think moving violations will matter if all you're going to do is tech calls.

alot of places, at least where I live, have a policy where you have to be 21 to drive an ambulance because of insurance. I don't think moving violations will matter if all you're going to do is tech calls.

If that's the case, I will volunteer with a nearby municipal service. I have heard of companies in my area letting people under 21 drive. The age minimums really suck if you ask me. Sometimes I feel like it is so hard to get started in EMS.