EM hourly rate approaching that of the nursing staff at my hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First of all - fantastic post and insight.

I highly doubt, however, there would be any laws capping nursing pay. The backlash would be so severe and it would be perceived anti-American/competition.

That said, it's a crazy time.

It's actually already a thing in limited areas. Massachusetts and Minnesota cap pay in long term care, and Pennsylvania is working on the same thing. Texas banned residents from working in larger contracts.
If there is a movement to target travel nurse pay, it will be sold to the public as a cap on how much the nurse agencies make, not how much the nurses themselves make. Which is fair. The bill rate, which is the amount per hour that the hospital pays for a nurse, is generally far higher than what they pay us. Back when I worked travel in Florida several years ago, my blended pay rate per hour was $41. The agency got 55. Now the bill rate is around $180-200 to pay me 100-110. The agencies have gotten greedy, which might be familiar to all of you who hate CMGs. It will be easy enough to say to the public "these nasty evil agencies are stealing money from you and from the hardworking nurses, they need to be regulated!" The regulation will just tighten the purse strings hard enough that the travel money becomes much less worth it compared to the abuse you receive and people will return to staff positions.​
It's also worth noting that the term "contract" is very deceptive. The agency or hospital can drop me like a hot potato tomorrow with my health insurance vanishing at the same time and it costs them nothing, which gives this job a certain lack of stability that makes it harder for people that have families. The complaints EM physicians have about the scheduling is echoed here too; I get a schedule handed to me a week in advance and if I don't like the days I'm assigned to, sucks to be me-- which works for someone with no children but somewhat less so for anyone who is trying to have a stable home life. There's a reason why I want out of this profession and even if these rates were magically available for the rest of my career I wouldn't be doing it.​

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It's also worth noting that the term "contract" is very deceptive. The agency or hospital can drop me like a hot potato tomorrow with my health insurance vanishing at the same time and it costs them nothing, which gives this job a certain lack of stability that makes it harder for people that have families. The complaints EM physicians have about the scheduling is echoed here too; I get a schedule handed to me a week in advance and if I don't like the days I'm assigned to, sucks to be me-- which works for someone with no children but somewhat less so for anyone who is trying to have a stable home life. There's a reason why I want out of this profession and even if these rates were magically available for the rest of my career I wouldn't be doing it.​
so this part does surprise me - I can only comment on my hospital. I have been told by contract working RN's that their hours are guaranteed. So in those cases were other Rn's are being low censused, the travel RN's always have to complete their shift because they are getting paid whether or not they are needed. But that is just a N=1

Reactions: 1 user
It's actually already a thing in limited areas. Massachusetts and Minnesota cap pay in long term care, and Pennsylvania is working on the same thing. Texas banned residents from working in larger contracts.
If there is a movement to target travel nurse pay, it will be sold to the public as a cap on how much the nurse agencies make, not how much the nurses themselves make. Which is fair. The bill rate, which is the amount per hour that the hospital pays for a nurse, is generally far higher than what they pay us. Back when I worked travel in Florida several years ago, my blended pay rate per hour was $41. The agency got 55. Now the bill rate is around $180-200 to pay me 100-110. The agencies have gotten greedy, which might be familiar to all of you who hate CMGs. It will be easy enough to say to the public "these nasty evil agencies are stealing money from you and from the hardworking nurses, they need to be regulated!" The regulation will just tighten the purse strings hard enough that the travel money becomes much less worth it compared to the abuse you receive and people will return to staff positions.​

How does one become an agency?
Asking for a friend

Members don't see this ad :)
so this part does surprise me - I can only comment on my hospital. I have been told by contract working RN's that their hours are guaranteed. So in those cases were other Rn's are being low censused, the travel RN's always have to complete their shift because they are getting paid whether or not they are needed. But that is just a N=1

Guaranteed hours are a part of some contracts. But the hospital can cut down their number of agency staff anytime they want with no warning or recourse. They may pay a small fee to the agency unless they can point to being routinely overstaffed due to having too many agency staff, but from what my recruiter has told me it's fairly small potatoes particularly with how inflated the current bill rates are. So far I've had one contract slimmed down by a month with a week's notice, and seen someone else's contract end abruptly when the hospital asked them to step down from 60 hours to 36 and they refused. Bill rates can and do drop unexpectedly as well, and if you don't wanna work for 75 when you were making 90 last week... new contract time.
How does one become an agency?
Asking for a friend

I wish I knew. From what I've been told, larger hospital systems tend to select one of the big national agencies as their vendor and only take contracts through that vendor. Vendors subcontract and take a slice out of that to other agencies sometimes. All the hospitals around me do that, otherwise I'd probably form a LLC, go 1099, and bid for the bill rate myself.

Hearing about all this travel nurse pay makes me think the hospitals need a new pandemic slogan: "Heros and subs work here"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
In the Bay Area, many permanent staff nurses (not agency or travel) make 300-400k+ at county hospitals and at Univ of Ca. However it is the land of $1mil tear down bungalows.

Last edited:
My ED is about 50% travel nurses... and each and every one of them was full time a year ago, but they all "left," and since there is no restrictive covenant, immediately signed with the travel nurse company staffing my ED for double the pay and were back as a travel nurse on the same ED team they were always one essentially one week later.

The real risk they run is that the hospital made it very clear that once they can hire new people at the 'real' rate, they will start cutting these nurses and won't offer them full time jobs back. But also.... we have hired like 2 full time people in that year and have about 13-15 nurses on staff as travel who were full time not long ago and I don't think any of them got dropped even to make room for the 2 new ones. These people aren't getting replaced fast at all. I also doubt the hospital will follow through with the threat of not rehiring them.

Reactions: 1 users
My ED is about 50% travel nurses... and each and every one of them was full time a year ago, but they all "left," and since there is no restrictive covenant, immediately signed with the travel nurse company staffing my ED for double the pay and were back as a travel nurse on the same ED team they were always one essentially one week later.

The real risk they run is that the hospital made it very clear that once they can hire new people at the 'real' rate, they will start cutting these nurses and won't offer them full time jobs back. But also.... we have hired like 2 full time people in that year and have about 13-15 nurses on staff as travel who were full time not long ago and I don't think any of them got dropped even to make room for the 2 new ones. These people aren't getting replaced fast at all. I also doubt the hospital will follow through with the threat of not rehiring them.
It's aggravating seeing "travel nurses" come from 10 minutes away, but like everything else that is a bubble, it is set to burst. When it does, there are going to be a lot of nurses scrambling to find jobs and a lot of travel companies seeing their revenue drop. One travel company I know of is getting 40% of the cut that health systems are paying them for travel nurses. Nursing salaries are artificially inflated because of the bubble, and it is not sustainable and will not last. There's a rare chance I eat those words, and if so, I will be humble and say I was wrong. However, I have a strong belief that the end is near (within the next 18 months).

HEY!
I'm in Florida, and so is Fox. (Albeit, I he probably won't stick around FL for much longer, and I got the hell out of the ER a few years ago.) But that's all of us.

I married a nurse, who isn't a travel nurse either, but he does IR now, having also gotten the hell out of the ER many years ago. My old ER is full of travel nurses from what I understand, and the Old Guard is slowly stepping away, having been fried to a crisp.

More power to them. They might as well strike it rich when the pay is right b/c once things settle down, they will be under paid anyhow. Make your money now, bc there is not guarantees either way.

If they paid Docs 500/hr to do the same work and relabel me a travel doc, I would go in a heartbeat. And my old partners would do the same. The ones too scared to "lose" their job will eventually be bitter seeing me make 2x their pay doing the same work and actually less b/c travelers are held to low standards.

Reactions: 3 users

Not sure if this is an agency rule or a hospital rule, but our travel RN's told us they cannot travel to a hospital they were employed full time at, and they can only do 2 assignments at the same hospital.

It's aggravating seeing "travel nurses" come from 10 minutes away, but like everything else that is a bubble, it is set to burst. When it does, there are going to be a lot of nurses scrambling to find jobs and a lot of travel companies seeing their revenue drop. One travel company I know of is getting 40% of the cut that health systems are paying them for travel nurses. Nursing salaries are artificially inflated because of the bubble, and it is not sustainable and will not last. There's a rare chance I eat those words, and if so, I will be humble and say I was wrong. However, I have a strong belief that the end is near (within the next 18 months).
I used to be a director of pharmacy at a tiny rural hospital that we used travel pharmacists during the shortage time back in the mid 2000's. THat 40% cut is about par for the course to provide coverage. I thought it was a pretty dang high price to pay, so I simply went out and hired a couple of old semi-retired guys that used to work at my hospital to provide coverage. I split the difference between what they would normally get paid, and what the agency paid. I had no problem getting people to work for me as I paid more than the any of the other places, and actually cut expenses.

My CEO was impressed that I would was able to cut the budget (mind you I was 27 years old and brand new to the world of hopsital politics). To be it was a no brainer.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is an agency rule or a hospital rule, but our travel RN's told us they cannot travel to a hospital they were employed full time at, and they can only do 2 assignments at the same hospital.

Usually the hospital sets the rule about bringing back former staff as travel. I've heard a wide variety of numbers mentioned but usually it's 1 year or less. That number is probably not set in stone if the hospital is sufficiently desparate. I believe Texas mandates a minimum of 30 days between ending permanent employment and contracting in-state for resident nurses taking contracts in Texas.

As far as assignments go, for tax reasons the stipended travel contracts say you can only work in the same metro area for 364 days in a 2-year period. I've seen multiple 364-day contracts out there; on my current assignment they told me I could stay as long as I wanted up to that point.

Its very frustrating to watch hospitals stone wall on raising RN base pay while giving out these lucrative travel gigs, and have to watch all our best nurses leave. Its very easy to think hospital admin are idiots.

But I wonder if they are playing the long game. Sure they could raise rates from $30 to $60, but once that happens its never going back down. I bet you they are all just waiting for COVID to end and hoping that even though they may have to pay an arm and a leg for a couple years, once things normalize they will be better off for holding rates down.

Whether it will or not remains to be seen

Its very frustrating to watch hospitals stone wall on raising RN base pay while giving out these lucrative travel gigs, and have to watch all our best nurses leave. Its very easy to think hospital admin are idiots.

But I wonder if they are playing the long game. Sure they could raise rates from $30 to $60, but once that happens its never going back down. I bet you they are all just waiting for COVID to end and hoping that even though they may have to pay an arm and a leg for a couple years, once things normalize they will be better off for holding rates down.

I don't think there is any way this ends without bedside nurses receiving a permanent salary bump. The travel rates are unsustainable but nurses will remain in high demand as so many have left the profession permanently over the past 2 years.

First of all - fantastic post and insight.

I highly doubt, however, there would be any laws capping nursing pay. The backlash would be so severe and it would be perceived anti-American/competition.

That said, it's a crazy time.
Nurses will work less or just work in clinics. I’m less convinced this is short term. Time will tell. I think rn salaries will climb and stay up. Will narrow the gap between rns and nps.

I don't know that nurse pay will necessarily increase more. None of the hospital systems I've been to have deployed base pay increases and if covid cases requiring admission drop a bunch and stay there, I think admin will have weathered the storm fairly well. Travel rates will probably remain higher than pre-covid, but that's about it. Admin has learned that they can step harder on their existing staff and force them to expand their staffing ratios. A lot of the people now entering the field have normalized the acuity and being overstretched because they haven't seen any different. If you can make all your nurses take 50% more patients and they don't mass exit because they want to eat, staffing costs go down and not up. You can even increase pay a bit, cut ancillary and support staff, and still come out saving money. One hospital system I know of took 2/3 of the nurse techs out of the mixed ICU/PCU units they run, functionally increased nursing ratios, ran the charges always in staffing, and basically eliminated the unit clerk position. That is a lot of work shifted from ancillary staff who no longer exist to be paid to nursing. The hospital I'm contracting with just cut travel pay 25% starting next month and basically dared us to do anything about it, despite the fact that the 20-bed ICU has approximately 11 total permanent staff (days and nights) left to run it and is filling significantly more than half their FTEs with us; probably figure that some will stay and the remaining staff can just be stepped on even harder.

There's definitely been a shift towards travel/local contracting and I think that will probably remain as a pressure release valve for people who have the flexibility to make it work, but doing it with a family is hard. Doing it with a family for >$100/hr is easier, but that rate won't stick around and eventually people will get tired of being handed a schedule that they have no input on and requires missing things that are important to their kids, among many other things.

A lot of my colleagues are riding the travel bandwagon to pay off student loans and debt in order to transition to other things or become stay at home parents. Procedural nursing, especially in outpatient centers where call is not required, is the new hotness. So is various forms of paperwork pushing. It's not been uncommon for people to consider bedside time as paying dues for the ability to eventually get a job away from it, but it seems to be an increasing goal of many people (FIRE? Certainly an uncommon concept in this forum). Lots of people doing online NP programs that graduate and have nothing to show for it but debt because the jobs they will consider (not rural practice that's for sure!) are saturated with applicants.

I think nurses make about what they should make commensurate with their education and skillset. Making 120-150/yr seems about right.

One of our nurses went travel and is working st the same hospital for triple the pay.

Hownmany nurses are really gonna be ok going back to previous pay after all this is done? I bet alot are making bank and planning on an exit strategy. Maybe the noobs will be ok with previous pay.

Hownmany nurses are really gonna be ok going back to previous pay after all this is done? I bet alot are making bank and planning on an exit strategy. Maybe the noobs will be ok with previous pay.
Previous nominal nurse pay is basically not even worth the cost of their degree at this point in the inflationary spiral. You can work at Costco for similar pay and a fraction of the stress.

Previous nominal nurse pay is basically not even worth the cost of their degree at this point in the inflationary spiral. You can work at Costco for similar pay and a fraction of the stress.

You can make $130,000/yr working at Costco as a general laborer?

Yeah, I'm in your camp.
I read thegenius's numbers and wonder "has he finally listened to far too much Grateful Dead?"

the ER nurses here in the Bay Area make like 50-70K/hr (pre-covid). and they get benefits as well.

Last edited:
I know we have lost 5 in the last week alone. They tell me they are making 80-100 an hour - which is good, but not the crazy bank I have heard other places - but these are also close to home in a nice area.

A few of ours are clearing 150/hr. Some are taking a few months off to travel and then have another contract for the same pay when they get back. Its ludicrous the amount of money being blown. I dont blame the nurses, good on them, but its clearly not sustainable.

Also, now that the nurses knew the money was always there, they as a group are not gonna be happy with going back to the way things were. Meanwhile im getting locums offers for a whopping 5-10% over my normal pay. Hahahhahhhaa its all a hot mess.

Lol even if it isn’t sustainable they can still be a travel nurse and will make 25% of our pay.

You could make the same case that our ED rates are unsustainable as well

Wth does unsustainable even mean? The whole healthcare system is unsustainable. There are record profits being made and government will keep throwing money at the problem

Reactions: 5 users
The gov can keep printing money, throw more stimulus $$, more covid $$$ to get political points. Its sustainable as long as the gov says so. Who do you think pays for these elevated rates? HCA and the like still making $$$$.

The people who will be screwed most is the poor who can't deal with inflation.

Those nurses must be crap 'cause our nurses are getting $300/hr to work overtime because of COVID and bombogenesis 🤮

Just to play devils advocate here - why should doctors make more than nurses? Why not the other way around?

You need both to make the health system function, generate revenue, provide treatments to sick people.

If nurses are the rate limiting commodity, free market capitalism says they should be the highest paid person in the clinical care arena. Docs having x4 the amount of schooling doesn’t make them inherently 4x as valuable.
Yea bro I mean if the receptionist doesn’t answer the phone we could never start treatment. They should make $500k/year

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Most nurses are in the $30-40/hr range. California as noted is $60-70. My moms a nurse and one of our residents spouses is a nurse about to go back to California. Sustainable is an interesting remark. Are biologics with a price tag of 60-100k a year sustainable? Is having some equity officer sustainable?

Healthcare has morphed in a terrible way. As mentioned too many administrators who literally offer little to nothing of value. Why is it when I have an it issue 2 it people come down? I just need 1 to fix my problem. Something is amiss and it is time the hospital look at non clinical costs.

It’s insane from a biz perspective that my Ed has a ton of holds cause it takes 2 hours to clean a room upstairs. Literally they are the lowest paid people in the hospital but they are scare like neurosurgeons.

Will preface this with noting that physicians should be able to make a good living due to the sacrifices required to achieve independent practice, that I don't support the vast expansion of midlevel independence, etc. Please don't hurt me.

As a travel nurse, I will note that the huge, huge pay I've heard about is fairly limited. I've made in the 110 range for a while (Midwest, ICU) and the only people making significantly more are either getting some of the very limited contracts for hard to fill areas or they're getting an overtime hourly rate. The agencies also leave out a lot of fine print; with nontax stipends and such, your take home is a lot lower unless you have both a mortgage somewhere else and you're renting a room somewhere near the hospital for market rates (my 110 drops a bit when I factor in employer-side taxes). The huge pay contracts are usually of limited duration and the hospital has no issue terminating it after a week if they want, so stability is basically nonexistent. Some of them, like the Krucial contracts that pay out huge $$$, house you in dormitory-style accommodation where your bags are searched for alcohol, you can't enter anyone else's room, and you have a curfew to leave the hotel between shifts with someone signing you in and out so you spend the whole contract working or being a monk in a motel. Benefits and such are more limited than staff jobs as well. The hospital treats you as being at the bottom of the pile, so inappropriate assignments are common-- I haven't ever circulated the OR and the last time I had a laboring mother was 11 years ago for like maybe 5 hours of clinical but that hasn't stopped them trying to make me work either. I'm not going to bleat "losin' mah lyyuu-sens" but I have no urge to be named in a malpractice suit with more exposure than otherwise for working outside my usual areas of practice.

It's great money, I plan on doing it for the next year to build reserves to pay for pre-med, but it's got definite downsides and doesn't reach attending level pay except in certain low-stability contracts. I doubt it'll be around for more than 2022, acuity will drop as covid vaccination and stuff like Paxlovid become more common. I also expect states to start enacting laws at the direction of hospitals to cap our pay; there's already been House hearings on our pay so there might even be a federal response.

Noones gonna say it? Dear god spare yourself and dont go into medicine.

Nurses and doc pay is a supply and demand issue like everything else in life. This is why a Picasso is so expensive.

Nursing is short and thus pay is increasing but there will a pay point where supply increases/demand drops thus lowering pay.

If the new normal is new nurse grad pay being 150/hr. Hospitals will shut down, hiring more PCTs to do nursing jobs, using more automation, having nursing scribes, more paramedics thus driving down the demand

More nursing schools will open up, online schools b/c people will be willing to pay a higher tuition for a guaranteed 200K salary.

This will eventually drop salary somewhere between the current $40/hr and $150/hr.

Docs inherently do not deserve more b/c they went to school more, know more about medicine, smarter, more hard working. Doc's supply demand curve just places it at a higher pay scale.

If unrestricted med school and residency growth was allowed and there were 100x more graduating attending next year, you bet the salary would drop close to $50/hr. Someone will work as a doctor for 50/hr b/c what are the other options?

And janitors! If we didn't have janitors who would clean all the rooms after patients left?
If I end up cleaning the rooms and answering the phone because no one else does it can I get $1.5M then? 🤣

• Haha
Hospital my buddy works at posted they would pay $40-70/hr for patient sitters. (The folks that essentially sit with patients to make sure they dont get out of bed or pull out their own IV's.... Much TV/phone/book reading time.)

GED required. "As many shifts as you want." Mainly nights and weekend for the upper pay range. Sweet deal really.

EDIT: she applied thinking it would be a pretty easy flexible side gig. Apparently told that "physicians arent eligible." 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
The thought that we deserve x dollars is a joke. As mentioned it’s supply and demand. It’s also why the future is grim. Usacs is borrowing money and everyone is gobbling up practices asap. The nsa is a blow but they know equally well that em doc pay is about to collapse. They will drop rates, we will cry like little babies and show up at the crappier rate. I have seen the future and now I share it with you guys.

Hospital my buddy works at posted they would pay $40-70/hr for patient sitters. (The folks that essentially sit with patients to make sure they dont get out of bed or pull out their own IV's.... Much TV/phone/book reading time.)

GED required. "As many shifts as you want." Mainly nights and weekend for the upper pay range. Sweet deal really.

EDIT: she applied thinking it would be a pretty easy flexible side gig. Apparently told that "physicians arent eligible." 🤣
Actively seeking Series A investors for my MD to RN Bridge Program…

Back when I did my prelim year at Elmhurst, Mt. Sinai had this presentation we had to see about pt safety, and they had these line drawings of actual pt deaths. One was the pt's head wedged between the bed and the bed rail. And, we were told, there was a sitter in the room with the patient!

Noones gonna say it? Dear god spare yourself and dont go into medicine.
Sadly is still better than 90% of jobs out there or more. This is the evisceration of the middle class, been going on for some time in the US. Pre-Tax 300k doesn’t even go far now with inflation and taxes out the a$$. But hey why worry, just go have an ice cream cone.

Reactions: 4 users
Sadly is still better than 90% of jobs out there or more. This is the evisceration of the middle class, been going on for some time in the US. Pre-Tax 300k doesn’t even go far now with inflation and taxes out the a$$. But hey why worry, just go have an ice cream cone.
Absolutely. My parents are both engineers and they had a great working life and now a great retirement life. They’re sitting on generous retirement savings with a pension too, have income generating properties, and have a nice house they easily paid off. They’ve got Medicare and can go to basically any doctor for almost nothing. Worked for the same jobs their whole lives…

To be fair doctors are certainly squarely upper middle class but I’d be lucky to have a life as comfortable as what my parents enjoy. I can’t buy a house, got tons of debt, endless taxes kill me, and our employers treat us like garbage.

And our cash flow is high. So I have no idea what people do on teachers salaries and the like. Yes I feel like I’m screwed, but the true middle and lower middle class people are really screwed.

Reactions: 5 users
Back when I did my prelim year at Elmhurst, Mt. Sinai had this presentation we had to see about pt safety, and they had these line drawings of actual pt deaths. One was the pt's head wedged between the bed and the bed rail. And, we were told, there was a sitter in the room with the patient!

Maybe the patient was really annoying and the sitter couldn't take it anymore