Elementary calculus for medical school

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2713* ELEMENTARY CALCULUS, 3 hours credit
An introductory course in calculus for the non-mathematics major covering the following topics: limits, derivatives, and integration of functions of one or more variables. Applications will be related to Business, Economics, and the Social Sciences. Does not apply towards a major in mathematics. Lecture 3 hours.

Does this course will satisfy for the medical school requirement ?

Or, I have to take this course ?

2215* CALCULUS AND ANALYTIC GEOMETRY I, 5 hours credit
Limits, derivatives with applications, the definite integral with applications. Lecture 5 hours.

2215 sounds more difficult than 2713 and my major does not require a calculus course other than college algebra.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the latter is what you need.

The Calc 1 and 2 (currently in) i took/taking all start with Calculus with Analytical Geometry.

The other one your looking at is business calculus. I dont think its on the same level. Its like how schools have general chemistry or general physics 1 that you need for med school but there is a level before that..like.."principles of chem blah blah" which is not on the same level as the one required for med school pre-reqs

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this course will satisfy for the medical school requirement ?

Or, I have to take this course ?

2215 sounds more difficult than 2713 and my major does not require a calculus course other than college algebra.

2215 is a little more involved, but trust me it's much easier than it sounds. A lot of calculus is just plugging in numbers, which is the easy part. If you are fairly strong in algebra and trig, you will have no trouble in calculus.

don't listen to us (me included ;) Call the schools you're interested in and see if it will count. A few schools said the applied calc course I wanted to take was ok. It really depends on each school. Mathematical modeling is more fun anyway and you might be able to use it in the lab

Not all med schools require calculus either.

Are you saying that some medical schools don't take applied calculus ?

a similar question: OU pharm school says they will accept either one of those courses to fulfill a pre-req, but they won't accept both. since i want to try to get in to pharm school in three years instead of four (without a degree), should i take 2215 to make my app look better? i would prefer to take the easier course if i could though, since math isn't my favorite subject. how much difference will that make to the adcoms?

and thanks for posting the question tennis :D

a similar question: OU pharm school says they will accept either one of those courses to fulfill a pre-req, but they won't accept both. since i want to try to get in to pharm school in three years instead of four (without a degree), should i take 2215 to make my app look better? i would prefer to take the easier course if i could though, since math isn't my favorite subject. how much difference will that make to the adcoms?

Many pharmacy colleges in the U.S require a bachelor degree prior to matriculation. If you don't get into the OU pharm program, you should always have a bachelor degree in order to apply to other pharmacy programs. Math 2215 is a required course to graduate as the chemistry major at Cameron. I would suggest you to take the 2215 if you are planning to major in Chemistry. :)

Personally, I would do the tougher one so you are more flexible. If you change your mind you don't want to have to go back and do another math, which you hate. Calculus really isn't too bad as long as you put in the time. It's up to you though.

Sometimes the Calc w/ Geo is required to get into the physics you may need, so that's something else to look at. I also couldn't take my schools version of that to graduate, so, you should check with that too.

But, as others have said, if you really want to know, call the schools you're interested in and ask. Chances are the question can be answered within 5 minutes.