Continue taking calculus or drop it?

Dr.Optic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So currently as the semester wraps up I am not worried about any classes except for calc. I am not the best at math, but I've worked really hard and got an A in pre-calc and my teacher suggested I take calc. Currently I have a B- in calc honors and honestly, I am not sure if I should continue taking it. I am top 10% in my graduating class, but this calc final may keep me there or not. I have been told all placements for the top 10% are final by a friend but I don't know if that's true. I know most medical schools don't require calc, but I took it to be competitive. Should I drop calc next semester or keep grinding through this course? I am not taking it for dual credit, but if I need it for my pre-med courses then at least I have some base knowledge. What are your guy's thoughts? I am not a person who will quit, I usually like to finish what I started, but right now I am having some second thoughts. Any advice would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I guess it really depends how much time you have left in the course to raise it to a grade you would be satisfied with in the end. If you feel it is going to become worse then you could consider looking into other options. However, if you maintained a solid B, that wouldn't be a bad scenario. @Dr.Optic

I guess it really depends how much time you have left in the course to raise it to a grade you would be satisfied with in the end. If you feel it is going to become worse then you could consider looking into other options. However, if you maintained a solid B, that wouldn't be a bad scenario. @Dr.Optic
I feel like it might get worse and I can usually get help, but I am not enjoying the course at all. Should I still take it even though I'm not enjoying it? I want to be as competitive as possible for medical school.

Well if you can stick it through and get a better grade (even if you don't love the course), you mine as well finish out strong. However, if you're going to continue to do worse and can't recover then consider withdrawing, but that'll be up to you in the end.