Should I take calculus?

Dr.Optic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so currently I am in pre calc and I am doing just fine (93%) in case anyone was curious of what fine meant. So I am confused about whether or not I should take calculus. My teacher mentioned it takes a lot of time and effort. I already have good study habits so that's the least of my worries. So now the ready question is should I take calculus or not? I want to be a PCSM but I am not sure if calculus is necessary. Please give me some guidance. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are talking about AP Calculus, then you have 2 drastically different options in AB or BC. AB is 1 semester of college (calc I) spread over an entire year of high school. BC is 2 semesters of college (calc I and II) over the same time period. If you are doing well in pre calc (honors?) then I would suggest taking BC. BC is much more difficult, but it is manageable and if you have good study habits- just memorize the equations and how they fit into practice problems in class then you will get A's and a 5. That's pretty much all math is at this level. If you want to take it easy for your senior year (?) then take AB, compared to BC, AB is a joke and the pace is insanely slow. The first semester should be essentially review of pre calc and you will do fine. If you are in grades 8-10 currently, then you should take BC so that you don't waste 2 years on calc I and II and you can move higher in math. Hope this helps :) // I took BC junior year and am now in calc III with some freshmen in high school lol

I think taking calc whether AB or BC it's valuable and it's good to have exposure to it in case you want to pursue something that needs a calc credit. Since you have good study habits, I don't think you should worry too much. Good luck with whatever you choose!