Effect of a JAMA publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

done12812

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it actually counts for a lot at some schools...check out the threads below from LizzyM who is a well known adcom on SDN. But agreed that it is not going to make up for a poor GPA / MCAT. In the end, those two numbers have to be up to par or you won't get past the screen.

"Having a publication accepted for publication or published is a +4 at one top tier school. Having been funded for a project is a +3, having done a summer program or a couple of semesters is a +2, and having been a research assistant is a +1. (You get categorized into one of these groups or 0 for "no research").

Impact factor is not taken into account. Position in the list of authors (particularly second rather than first) is not taken into account.

A case report (asked earlier) might not be counted because it is not related to a research endeavor. Basically, a research publication is used as a measure that the research came to its intended end which is to advance the field through the development or contribution of new knowledge. However, a case report does contrbute to new clinical knowledge so maybe some would give you brownie points for a case report. It couldn't hurt. "

"Adcoms for medical school may be interested in whether or not an applicant has had some research experience as they believe that it is a predictor of participation in research in medical school/residency/career (in academic medicine). Basically, we ask, "Have they had a taste & do they like it?"

Any publication puts the applicant in the top 10% of the applicants I see with regard to research experience. We really don't need to distringuish among the applicants within that top 10%; it isn't worth the effort for what we are trying to assess. "

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...ication&page=2

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...izzym+research

I think it actually counts for a lot at some schools...check out the threads below from LizzyM who is a well known adcom on SDN. But agreed that it is not going to make up for a poor GPA / MCAT. In the end, those two numbers have to be up to par or you won't get past the screen.

"Having a publication accepted for publication or published is a +4 at one top tier school. Having been funded for a project is a +3, having done a summer program or a couple of semesters is a +2, and having been a research assistant is a +1. (You get categorized into one of these groups or 0 for "no research").

Impact factor is not taken into account. Position in the list of authors (particularly second rather than first) is not taken into account.

A case report (asked earlier) might not be counted because it is not related to a research endeavor. Basically, a research publication is used as a measure that the research came to its intended end which is to advance the field through the development or contribution of new knowledge. However, a case report does contrbute to new clinical knowledge so maybe some would give you brownie points for a case report. It couldn't hurt. "

"Adcoms for medical school may be interested in whether or not an applicant has had some research experience as they believe that it is a predictor of participation in research in medical school/residency/career (in academic medicine). Basically, we ask, "Have they had a taste & do they like it?"

Any publication puts the applicant in the top 10% of the applicants I see with regard to research experience. We really don't need to distringuish among the applicants within that top 10%; it isn't worth the effort for what we are trying to assess. "

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...ication&page=2

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...izzym+research

Not sure about this. I would say that top schools that are weighing the odds against a couple of students for a spot would take that into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
publication in JAMA would be worth 2 LizzyM points in my book which brings you to 70 which isn't enough for the top 20 schools, but that might be enough for some a little lower on the list.

My dream school UTSW has a LizzyM of 71. At least it brings me to a within striking distance. I know I have no real shot at schools ranked 1-20, but maybe schools ranked 20-31, such as Baylor, Emory, Dartmouth, Case, UVA, UTSW, NYU, Brown?

Does authorship rank matter? I don't think the article will be published in text by the time I submit my AMCAS app, because it has just been accepted for publication.

My dream school UTSW has a LizzyM of 71. At least it brings me to a within striking distance. I know I have no real shot at schools ranked 1-20, but maybe schools ranked 20-31, such as Baylor, Emory, Dartmouth, Case, UVA, UTSW, NYU, Brown?

Does authorship rank matter? I don't think the article will be published in text by the time I submit my AMCAS app, because it has just been accepted for publication.

It is hard to quantify.... More like would the medical school admissions committee be more impressed that you were an Olympic team member, that you were a bronze medalist or you were a silver medalist. It is so unusual to have anyone be published that it is impressive. Being a bit more impressive for being second author or third author or first author is icing on the cake but not always going to tip the balance. I saw a guy this year who had 2 solo author articles in a high impact journal and he ended up waitlisted. I wept.

It is hard to quantify.... More like would the medical school admissions committee be more impressed that you were an Olympic team member, that you were a bronze medalist or you were a silver medalist. It is so unusual to have anyone be published that it is impressive. Being a bit more impressive for being second author or third author or first author is icing on the cake but not always going to tip the balance. I saw a guy this year who had 2 solo author articles in a high impact journal and he ended up waitlisted. I wept.
BTW, this publication has been accepted by JAMA but not yet published. Would this matter to schools? I don't know if it will be published in text by the time I submit my AMCAS. I don't mind having my research mentor (Captain in the USPHSCC) email all the schools I applied to confirming that the publication has been accepted by JAMA.

Thanks for all the help LizzyM. This publication gives me hope for my dream school, UTSW.

I am considering retaking the MCAT this summer in early July after I have submitted my application. To have come so far, but to get screwed because of the MCAT. My diagnostic mcat score with no studying was a 26. I don't know where I went wrong, and why I only improved 4 points after months of studying. I have seen kids improve 9-10 points with studying, why am I stuck with only a 4-5 point improvement. I guess this question can be better answered by the MCAT discussion forum, lol.

Last edited:

LizzyM, would the number of first-author publications matter? Does the number no longer matter after having one?

Should we put the publications in preparation on our AMCAS or no? Thank you!!

being a tx resident will likely give you some consideration off the bat-i'd just make sure that you emphasize what you've done outside of the gpa/mcat sphere. Good, solid reflections from being a medical assistant, volunteer work, and even what you learned from research is all gravy.

I had an MCAT a little higher than yours, but emphasizing what i did outside of school definitely got me interviews and acceptances i never expected.

And finally, no matter what happens, you're gonna apply to your dream school no matter what, shoe-in, qualified, unqualified, or "why bother." (Why call it a dream school if you don't even try to apply?) I think another person here tailored his app for UWashington, but they rejected him. I also thought I was going to be a good fit for their program, but so far things have been going otherwise. As LizzyM said, people she said that were outstanding still got cut for whatever reasons unknown. It's impossible to really "quantify" anything-because then you think with a xyz LizzyM score that you "deserve" an interview there and etc. I think it just fosters an unhealthy mindset. just do the best you can do so you have no regret from your end when you apply.

(For example, great! Congrats-you're going to get published in JAMA! But if it wasn't going to be high impact, would it stop you from putting it on your AMCAS? probably not. Could you change what journal it is? Probably not. So there's really nothing to worry about. It is what it is. Good work.)

There is a point of diminishing returns. The exception to the rule would be MD/PhD program applicants.
Hey LizzyM,

I am applying for MD/PhD programs for entrance in 2013. So, regarding the pubs, I have one first author, one second author, and another first author currently in revision. All in mid-tier journals (IF:~3) I also have 3 abstracts.

Would that be considered competitive as far as pubs are concerned in MD/PhD applications? Thank you sooo much!

Hey LizzyM,

I am applying for MD/PhD programs for entrance in 2013. So, regarding the pubs, I have one first author, one second author, and another first author currently in revision. All in mid-tier journals (IF:~3) I also have 3 abstracts.

Would that be considered competitive as far as pubs are concerned in MD/PhD applications? Thank you sooo much!

I don't have any responsibility for selection of MD/PhD applicants at my school so I'm not certain if your application is competitive or merely average.:oops:

Hey LizzyM,

IF 3 is not mid tier... :laugh:

but IF doesn't matter too much for MD/PhD applications.