out of state public schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lg123

Reaction score
what are some good out of state public medical schools to apply to? my mcat is 510, cGPA 3.73, sGPA3.71 and i'm white and from new york.

i'm looking at michigan state, wright state, hawaii, university of washington, medical college of wisconsin, west virginia, missouri-kansas city and eastern virginia

Members don't see this ad.

what are some good out of state public medical schools to apply to? my mcat is 510, cGPA 3.73, sGPA3.71 and i'm white and from new york.

i'm looking at michigan state, wright state, hawaii, university of washington, medical college of wisconsin, west virginia, missouri-kansas city and eastern virginia
Nope.

U VM
VCU
EVMS
U CO (maybe)

MCW is private.

U WV if you have service to rural communities.

Most state schools favor the home ream, and as such, one needs to be > avg.

Nope.

U VM
VCU
EVMS
U CO (maybe)

MCW is private.

U WV if you have service to rural communities.

Most state schools favor the home ream, and as such, one needs to be > avg.
could you suggest clarify what you mean by "nope" and the abbreviations please and like whre you think i should apply

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope=not a good list of OOS schools. Several on your list accept very few OOS students if they even accept any!

UVM=University of Vermont
VCU=Virginia Commonwealth
EVSM= EASTERN VIRGINIA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
UCO= UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
MCW=MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN(Private)
UWV=UNIVERSITY OF WEST VIRGINIA

Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and use it to figure out what OOS schools are open to non residents! It’s always smart to apply to private schools. They really have no instate bias. And I used Google to find out the names of the schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nope=not a good list of OOS schools. Several on your list accept very few OOS students if they even accept any!

UVM=University of Vermont
VCU=Virginia Commonwealth
EVSM= EASTERN VIRGINIA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
UCO= UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
MCW=MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN(Private)
UWV=UNIVERSITY OF WEST VIRGINIA

Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and use it to figure out what OOS schools are open to non residents! It’s always smart to apply to private schools. They really have no instate bias. And I used Google to find out the names of the schools.
i do have MSAR so i've been trying to figure it out, those schools are lenient toward OOS?

i do have MSAR so i've been trying to figure it out, those schools are lenient toward OOS?
Please allow me to make it more clear for you. Your original question asked for a good list of OOS public schools for a White person from NY with average to slightly below average stats. The simple answer is that there is no such thing.

EVERY public school favors its own residents. You are lucky because you have 4 public schools to choose from in NY. Some states have none, or only one. You are unlucky because you are not low SES (are you?) and not otherwise eligible for an admissions preference.

OOS public schools are not the answer you are looking for, They will tend to be around as expensive for you as a private school, because you will not receive IS tuition. They will be more difficult for you to be admitted to than many private schools, because you will not receive an IS admission preference.

Why are you focused on public schools? With your stats and profile, you should be looking at mid tier and below private schools, in addition to the NY public schools, as well as DO schools. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Please allow me to make it more clear for you. Your original question asked for a good list of OOS public schools for a White person from NY with average to slightly below average stats. The simple answer is that there is no such thing.

EVERY public school favors its own residents. You are lucky because you have 4 public schools to choose from in NY. Some states have none, or only one. You are unlucky because you are not low SES (are you?) and not otherwise eligible for an admissions preference.

OOS public schools are not the answer you are looking for, They will tend to be around as expensive for you as a private school, because you will not receive IS tuition. They will be more difficult for you to be admitted to than many private schools, because you will not receive an IS admission preference.

Why are you focused on public schools? With your stats and profile, you should be looking at mid tier and below private schools, in addition to the NY public schools, as well as DO schools. Good luck!!!
you're absolutely right im just more curious than anything. I have a list of like 22 NY , private schools and DO schools. was just wondering if there was a public school or two I could add to the list to get to 25. I'm going to apply to vermont though because they take a lot of OOS kids

you're absolutely right im just more curious than anything. I have a list of like 22 NY , private schools and DO schools. was just wondering if there was a public school or two I could add to the list to get to 25. I'm going to apply to vermont though because they take a lot of OOS kids
Okay, so you know what you're doing! Never mind!! :cool:

You can add any school you want. You know what you're dealing with and what you're up against. Taking a lot of OOS people is all relative. Your odds at any public school as an OOS applicant will be significantly worse than at any comparable IS or private school. You are aware of that, so take your shot. You have nothing to lose except time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so you know what you're doing! Never mind!! :cool:

You can add any school you want. You know what you're dealing with and what you're up against. Taking a lot of OOS people is all relative. Your odds at any public school as an OOS applicant will be significantly worse than at any comparable IS or private school. You are aware of that, so take your shot. You have nothing to lose except time and money.
ok thank you!

Upon double checking, here are the schools that I think that you have your best shot at. Bold are OOS publics.

Rochester (maybe)
U ILL (maybe)
U WI
U VM
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
U CO

Tufts
Pitt (maybe)
Nova MD
Emory
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
All SUNYs
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.