Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahaha, no interview invite yet!

... :shifty:

... you think she does?

Haha, I don't have any idea. Anyway, I would love to hear from them. Everyday I think "today is the day" but so far, nada.

Members don't see this ad.

No more crickets..Interview invites have started! In form of a phone call..Good luck everyone

Hey fellow SDNers, I was accepted to VCOM-VA, I just heard back from them yesterday evening!! My interview was on tuesday, we were the first group that interviewed after early decision applicants. I am not very active in the discussions, but I would be more than happy to answer any questions about the interview or VCOM-VA in general! Good luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellow SDNers, I was accepted to VCOM-VA, I just heard back from them yesterday evening!! My interview was on tuesday, we were the first group that interviewed after early decision applicants. I am not very active in the discussions, but I would be more than happy to answer any questions about the interview or VCOM-VA in general! Good luck to everyone!!

General impression? Anything you'd like to talk about would be cool. I'm stuck waiting until december for a secondary but I think VT is definitely worth a look and would love to hear your impression.

General impression? Anything you'd like to talk about would be cool. I'm stuck waiting until december for a secondary but I think VT is definitely worth a look and would love to hear your impression.

I really liked it. The students seemed to be really happy. I have a few friends that are students there now. They had posted their residency placements this year and it looked good, almost every specialty was represented--a lot of surgery. The campus is nice because it is really close to tech, and VCOM students are allowed to have access to all the same stuff as VT students. Feel free to PM me for any other questions.

No more crickets..Interview invites have started! In form of a phone call..Good luck everyone

No phone call for me, bummer! Congrats everyone getting invites or
are accepted:) There's no feeling like it

hello, new at SDN, I am applying late in the game and was advised to ask on here if anyone would be willing to share what questions and or essays were required to fill out the secondary so I can go ahead and start filling them out. If anyone would be willing to share this information, I would be overly thankful. Please PM me the details if at all possible or just reply on here :) :xf:

Received a phone call today (09/21/2012) for an interview on 10/03/2012.

Received secondary application: 08/01/2012
Sent in secondary application: 09/03/2012
Completion: approximately 1 week after

GPA: 3.60
MCAT: 25N

Good luck to everyone! Hope you guys hear back soon!
VCOM was the first school I heard back from and can't wait for the interview! :)

Received a phone call today (09/21/2012) for an interview on 10/03/2012.

Received secondary application: 08/01/2012
Sent in secondary application: 09/03/2012
Completion: approximately 1 week after

GPA: 3.60
MCAT: 25N

Good luck to everyone! Hope you guys hear back soon!
VCOM was the first school I heard back from and can't wait for the interview! :)

Are you in-state? I have similar stats but I am OOS and have zero ties to VA.

I am in-state, and went to Virginia Tech for my undergrad years, so I have ties with Virginia Tech. I talked to admissions at their Open House, and asked if having ties with Virginia Tech helped. They said it doesn't necessarily help but it doesn't hurt. I'm sure you'll hear back soon! I haven't heard back from any of my out-of-state schools yet.

Hey guys I would really appreciate your input on my situation...i have multiple mcats with 26 10,9,7 being my highest but I retook it and got a 24 888. Im a former Divisoin one footbalI player have a 4.0 with an extremely stong service background including 2 years as a service missionary in Africa. I also lived in Alexandria Va for 2 years and this is probably my top schools I'm applying to. Just wondering do they take the latest or highest mcat, and does having ties to VA or do u have to be a resident? Finaly AACOMAS just released my app to them on 9/20...how long did it take for everyone else to get thier secondary and II on average?

THanks again I would apprecaite any input that anyone has for me!!

Last edited:
Hey guys I would really appreciate your input on my situation...i have multiple mcats with 26 10,9,7 being my highest but I retook it and got a 24 888. Im a former Divisoin one footbalI player have a 4.0 with an extremely stong service background including 2 years as a service missionary in Africa. I also lived in Alexandria Va for 2 years and this is probably my top schools I'm applying to. Just wondering do they take the latest or highest mcat, and does having ties to VA or do u have to be a resident? Finaly AACOMAS just released my app to them on 9/20...how long did it take for everyone else to get thier secondary and II on average?

THanks again I would apprecaite any input that anyone has for me!!

I believe VCOM looks at both MCAT scores for the applicant. They probably will look at the breakdown of each test. I think being a resident is obviously favored, but I am sure that as long as you have some ties to VA that will help your application. For me it took 1 month before I was complete but that was because they were busy with their incoming class and orientation. Now they are moving much faster. It should be 1-2 weeks. It took me about 2 weeks before I was invited for an interview. This was my experience, but I think it may be different for each person depending on when you apply. I think you have a good chance, best of luck to you!

Hey guys, anyone hearing back for acceptances? I had my interview last Monday and just wanted to hear if anyone got accepted yet? I am crazy nervous still, even after a week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, anyone hearing back for acceptances? I had my interview last Monday and just wanted to hear if anyone got accepted yet? I am crazy nervous still, even after a week!

Hey I think we interviewed together. I received an acceptance this past week. I'm pretty sure they said that they will be sending letters and calling next week as well. Hang in there!

Hey I think we interviewed together. I received an acceptance this past week. I'm pretty sure they said that they will be sending letters and calling next week as well. Hang in there!

Can you explain what happened? Like was it a letter that you got first? I am just trying to figure how I will be notified of my status. I am Nathan by the way if you remember.

Can you explain what happened? Like was it a letter that you got first? I am just trying to figure how I will be notified of my status. I am Nathan by the way if you remember.

I received a phone call on thursday, but she said they will also be sending e-mails and letters next week. I asked during the interview how we would be informed, and they didn't mention phone calls, so I was surprised to get a phone call. I do remember you actually, good luck :)

Well see exactly! And if they notified you and not me, I don't like that at all. It doesn't make much sense to be honest if they only notified a couple people and not me. Not a happy camper over here.

Are you the woman who wasn't early acceptance? That might explain it. I want to know if everyone else got some form of notification.

I believe VCOM looks at both MCAT scores for the applicant. They probably will look at the breakdown of each test. I think being a resident is obviously favored, but I am sure that as long as you have some ties to VA that will help your application. For me it took 1 month before I was complete but that was because they were busy with their incoming class and orientation. Now they are moving much faster. It should be 1-2 weeks. It took me about 2 weeks before I was invited for an interview. This was my experience, but I think it may be different for each person depending on when you apply. I think you have a good chance, best of luck to you!

I actually lived in Alexandria VA for 2 years so im hoping those ties will help out and obviously having a 4.0 helps but I am just stressing out because of my late app and lower mcat 22, 26, 24...one thing that actually attracts me to this school is its focus on undeserved populations..i actually spent 2 years in ghana as a service missionary...anyways I just would absolutely love to come back to VA and go to this school but well see

Are you the woman who wasn't early acceptance? That might explain it. I want to know if everyone else got some form of notification.

No, that would actually be me. :) Just to add to the context of the situation, I heard from VCOM on Thursday as well with an acceptance.

Not sure why he hasn't heard back yet - but definitely don't think it would hurt to give them a call.

Also--did you guys receive an email after your call? Was told I would be getting one but haven't seen it yet.

Were you two early acceptance? And when did you interview? This situation is making me very mad now that I have not heard a single word. I emailed Whitney so we shall see what is going on.

No, that would actually be me. :) Just to add to the context of the situation, I heard from VCOM on Thursday as well with an acceptance.

Not sure why he hasn't heard back yet - but definitely don't think it would hurt to give them a call.

Also--did you guys receive an email after your call? Was told I would be getting one but haven't seen it yet.

I was regular admission. I didn't receive the e-mail yet. I was told we would be getting a letter in the mail as well as an e-mail. Perhaps sometime later in the week?

I was regular admission. I didn't receive the e-mail yet. I was told we would be getting a letter in the mail as well as an e-mail. Perhaps sometime later in the week?

Wait, you said you interviewed tuesday? I interviewed Monday the 17th, so I am wondering if I did interview with you. I am really confused now about this... VCOM TELL ME MY STATUS SINCE I AM EARLY ACCEPTANCE!

Wait, you said you interviewed tuesday? I interviewed Monday the 17th, so I am wondering if I did interview with you. I am really confused now about this... VCOM TELL ME MY STATUS SINCE I AM EARLY ACCEPTANCE!

Yes, I interviewed on Tuesday, I was a regular admission applicant. Just call the school and ask them what's up. :thumbup:

I received a rejection email from VCOM Carolina the other day and does this also mean that you are rejected from the VCOM Virginia campus? I received complete emails for both but only the rejection from carolina.

HA finally got my phone call today! Only to find out that they needed more information about my DO experiences. So now I have to send Mrs. Mills, an email stating my prior history with DOs and current situation with DOs (I work for a radiology company that has a couple DOs). It is a sucky situation to be in right now as they also removed me from the Early Acceptance, but atleast they are allowing me a chance to explain myself. I am just mad that I am not early acceptance now as this is my first choice and I was hoping that I would get in because I showed I wanted to be there. Now I am scrambling to shadow another DO. What do you all think of this predictament? Its very new to me. :(

HA finally got my phone call today! Only to find out that they needed more information about my DO experiences. So now I have to send Mrs. Mills, an email stating my prior history with DOs and current situation with DOs (I work for a radiology company that has a couple DOs). It is a sucky situation to be in right now as they also removed me from the Early Acceptance, but atleast they are allowing me a chance to explain myself. I am just mad that I am not early acceptance now as this is my first choice and I was hoping that I would get in because I showed I wanted to be there. Now I am scrambling to shadow another DO. What do you all think of this predictament? Its very new to me. :(

Stay positive, man. Since you're no longer "Early Acceptance" you can now try your luck elsewhere, right? I never got off the waitlist last year and in August I was offered Early Acceptance for this coming year. At first I was frustrated that they couldn't just give me an automatic interview so I didn't have to withdraw all my applications from the other schools. Anyway, just be thankful for the opportunity they're giving you. Best of luck.

I am staying positive, but I thought early acceptance gives students a better opportunity at getting in. Now that I am not, I feel like my chances are worse. I interviewed, thought I did well, but we shall see. This lets me explain a bit more about myself. But if I don't get accepted now, this will suck!

Hey guys, quick question. I received an email staying that they received my primary and the application is under review in-order to get the secondary. How long does that process usually take? When should I anticipate the secondary?

Hey guys, quick question. I received an email staying that they received my primary and the application is under review in-order to get the secondary. How long does that process usually take? When should I anticipate the secondary?

I don't remember receiving that email from VCOM but I was verified on July 20 and then I received my secondary email Aug 7.

I just received this email as well. Very similar to CUSOMs.

Did anyone's email from VCOM state it could take up to three months for the committee to review their primary app to determine if they will send a secondary?

Hi everybody! I know I'm a lurker on SDN, but I just wanted to offer my help to anybody who was looking for some. I've loved this school and have been visiting it since I was just a junior in high school. I interviewed Sept. 17th as an early decision candidate and got an acceptance. If you have any questions at all about the application, the facilities, the interview, etc, I'd be more than happy to help! Just PM me and I'll answer your questions as well as I can.

Good luck to everybody applying to VCOM! :luck:

Sent in my secondary about a week ago and now i'm just waiting for an interview invite. I'm pretty sure i'll get one before I had done an early decisions track and was denied an early acceptance (b/c of ridiculously unfair reasons :/). But I have significantly improved my application.

Anyone going to the upcoming open house? VCOM is at the top of my list so I'd really like to go and make myself familiar to the admissions folks and faculty, but I live pretty far away. Has anyone gone to previous open houses? Are they worth going to? What sort of face time do you get with the people in admissions?

Anyone going to the upcoming open house? VCOM is at the top of my list so I'd really like to go and make myself familiar to the admissions folks and faculty, but I live pretty far away. Has anyone gone to previous open houses? Are they worth going to? What sort of face time do you get with the people in admissions?
I went to the spring open house and found it extremely helpful. The staff and faculty were very accessible and the sessions were fairly laid back so you could ask questions. I had about a 30 minute interview where I talked an admissions person. They stay there until everyone who wants an interview has had one. The open house really helped make VCOM my top choice. I asked the admissions rep handling my file if she thought it would be helpful to come again for their fall open house and she highly recommended I come. Just a warning that the VA campus' is falling over Tech's parent's weekend so you will probably have to stay closer to Roanoke as all the hotels in Blacksburg and Christiansburg are sold out (as I found out last weekend when I tried to make a reservation).

Hey all, been a while since I've been on SDN. I'm currently a 1st year at VCOM, just about done with finals week of block 1. If you have any questions about anything, PM me and I'll try and get back to you in a timely fashion. Do know this - those of you that are already stressing out and worrying and all that junk - stop it. It's October 4th for heaven's sake.

Yea I'm stressing out a lot. I've been complete for at least 2 wks now.

Hey all, been a while since I've been on SDN. I'm currently a 1st year at VCOM, just about done with finals week of block 1. If you have any questions about anything, PM me and I'll try and get back to you in a timely fashion. Do know this - those of you that are already stressing out and worrying and all that junk - stop it. It's October 4th for heaven's sake.

Yea I'm stressing out a lot. I've been complete for at least 2 wks now.
Don't stress out..I interviewed this week and they said it was only their fourth day of interviews..so they pretty much just got started.

OK, so it seems like not many ii have been sent out yet....was about to comment on this thread that I'm FREAKING out that i haven't gotten one yet. So if I was complete on Sept 14, I shouldn't be freaking out??

I got a call this morning and was invited for an interview!!

Funny story: Whitney called me right before class at 10 and said that I was offered an interview. I told her I was in class and she said I can call back at 11. I told my friend on facebook that I was offered an interview. 5 minutes later he tells me they called him and that he got the only slot left for October 16th -.-.

Oh well, I'll be interviewing on October 24th.

I got a call this morning and was invited for an interview!!

Funny story: Whitney called me right before class at 10 and said that I was offered an interview. I told her I was in class and she said I can call back at 11. I told my friend on facebook that I was offered an interview. 5 minutes later he tells me they called him and that he got the only slot left for October 16th -.-.

Oh well, I'll be interviewing on October 24th.

When were you complete?

Idk, they don't send out emails when you're complete or at least I didn't get one. I was verified Sept. 3rd, primary release Sept 6th. MCAT received Aug 28th. I finished the secondary and submitted it, it seems on 9/24... I definitely thought I submitted it way earlier than that. Weird. That's the date I put down on the secondary.

When were you complete?

They must really not like me in the adcom office. I submitted my secondary on 8/17 and was complete on 8/31. I have not heard a peep from this school. I really liked the community service aspect that this school shows. I will admit, I am from the west coast, not from the service area for the school.

Oh well. I am on to other things now...

dsoz

Hey everyone,

Just received my updated MCAT score and got a 26Q. I haven't submitted my secondary yet because I was waiting for my score but I was wondering what you guys think, if I am too late especially since I am OOS. I have stats in my MDapps profile. Thanks for your input

Hey everyone,

Just received my updated MCAT score and got a 26Q. I haven't submitted my secondary yet because I was waiting for my score but I was wondering what you guys think, if I am too late especially since I am OOS. I have stats in my MDapps profile. Thanks for your input

VCOM has strong regional bias, and favors high GPA over MCAT (they mention it on their site and they told me this in the interview), although I don't think that you are by any means not a good applicant. I think you are a strong applicant and you should still apply, but definitely apply to other DO schools as well, specifically the ones without regional bias and in MI. Good luck :)

VCOM has strong regional bias, and favors high GPA over MCAT (they mention it on their site and they told me this in the interview), although I don't think that you are by any means not a good applicant. I think you are a strong applicant and you should still apply, but definitely apply to other DO schools as well, specifically the ones without regional bias and in MI. Good luck :)

Thank you so much for your reply. I was just nervous that I was way too late to be a good applicant for VCOM.

When was your application marked as complete for VCOM-VA? Just wondering what the time-frame is in regards to your application being complete and you being offered an interview invite!

When was your application marked as complete for VCOM-VA? Just wondering what the time-frame is in regards to your application being complete and you being offered an interview invite!

Complete October 12th (Friday). Invite 15th (Monday)