"easier" programs to match into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigerstang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so there's a list of what people consider the top 10. are there any programs that would be considered "easier" to match into (of course, assuming the baseline of hard as hell for radonc to begin with)

Members don't see this ad.

You're right, there are no "easy" programs to get into. I think most would agree that the "easiest" program to get into is your home program. I would cuddle up with your PD and express strong interest as early as possible. Get involved in research and try to publish something.

Other "easier" programs to get into, in my opinion, are programs that you rotate through as a visiting student. This is a double-edged sword b/c if you suck it up you shot your chance to hell. But my feeling on this matter was, I went to places that I may not have had a very good shot of getting into anyway, so I only had everything to gain. I think that if you rotate through mid-lower tier schools and impress the hell out of them, you'll have a decent shot at their program. This doesn't necessarily apply to top-tier places though.

I know you're probably looking for a list of easy programs to get into..but I doubt anyone will give you one since it is so subjective and different programs look for different qualities. But you can increase your chances most by publishing, expressing strong interest at home, and networking as much as possible. Good luck!

ok, so there's a list of what people consider the top 10. are there any programs that would be considered "easier" to match into (of course, assuming the baseline of hard as hell for radonc to begin with)

I agree with ND, there is no easy program to match into. With most programs taking only 2 people per year even the less competitive programs are very competitive. Your best chances are at your home program and programs you did away rotations at.

I would just apply to a lot of programs. Its hard to tell how good of an applicant you are until you apply. Odds are if you go on 10 interviews you will match.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the op realizes that nothing here is easy. but perhaps folks could post what they feel are relatively speaking, less competitive programs.

Of the 9 california programs, I notice that only stanford and ucsf are regarded as "upper tier" programs. Are all the other ones markedly "less competitive?"

The problem with easier programs is they tend to be smaller, hence they aren't that easy as you are now vying for those 1 or 2 spots. That being said, if you can get an inside track early, ie rotating there early, expressing tons of interest you probably do have a better shot.

As far as actual programs, I'm not really sure, but I'd look at places that don't historically take from their own med students (unless you are at that program of course :) )

i heard that getting into mskcc and mdacc was pretty easy...can anyone verify this?

There may be a slightly "easier" track getting into programs that take paper apps vs. participating in ERAS. They tend to get lower number of applicants. The "easy" program in rad-onc would be considered "competitive" in most other specialties, however.

I figured there probably wouldn't be an easy one per se - but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm only an MS1 so I'm not that worried about it, but my dismal academic performance (great job picking a school with grades as opposed to P/F, you *****) makes me question how strong a candidate I'll be in a few years. Of course I'll do research, rotate away, and study my butt off for the boards, but I wanted to try to do whatever I can to mitigate my poor academic performance - including finding "easier" programs to rotate through during 4th year. Thanks for the help folks.

There may be a slightly "easier" track getting into programs that take paper apps vs. participating in ERAS. They tend to get lower number of applicants. The "easy" program in rad-onc would be considered "competitive" in most other specialties, however.

Wait a minute now... paper apps you say? What is this all about? I thought every program was through ERAS. Which ones are paper only?

U Wash (Seattle) as well as U Ky (Lexington) come to mind

Where do you all find your info? For instance I read on the board that the Oklahoma program is opening back up, but it is not listed under FREIDA

Thanks

My program (Methodist Hospital, NY) takes paper apps only. Of course our next openings will be for 2009:rolleyes: We probably would be considered an easier program.

i heard that getting into mskcc and mdacc was pretty easy...can anyone verify this?

I can by virtue of the fact that they didn't interview me...apparently they thought I was just too good for their program. :p

/delusion