Dumb question BCM vs. Baylor University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sileni

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Baylor College of Medicine and Baylor University Medical Center? Which is the "main" program. I've been searching and can't quite find an answer... :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that there was a thread about this not too long ago.....

BCM = large academic program in Houston
BUMC = community based program in Dallas

What's the difference between Baylor College of Medicine and Baylor University Medical Center? Which is the "main" program. I've been searching and can't quite find an answer... :(

The Dallas program shares the same name, but is completely unaffiliated in any way with the University program in Houston.

Back in the very old days (late 1800's/early 1900's maybe?) Baylor University had a medical school. The faculty got upset about something and moved to Dallas, where they started Baylor Hospital (now BUMC). Then in the 1940's-ish, some kind of falling out happened again, so part of the faculty left Dallas and moved to the new Texas Medical Center in Houston, where they formed the totally separate Baylor College of Medicine. So, Baylor University, BUMC, and BCM are totally separate at this point and have basically only historical ties to each other. Some of the details may be off but this is the basic chain of events.

Reactions: 1 user