methodist vs baylor houston vs uth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone comment on methodist houston program and baylor houston and how they compare to each other. I am only relying on the iv day and felt good at both of them. I think they have a different flavor but given methodists own program is new its hard to get much information about it. I know baylor has a bigger name but it seems like the program has lost quite a bit in the past few years. it is definitely more academic but im not too interested in academic medicine. any input also how ut houston compares

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Baylor is more academic and research oriented. Methodist is more clinically oriented. Probably would do with Methodist if private practice is what you want. My 2 cents

I would say Methodist is a very strong program for both academics / private practice. You get excellent clinical training and tons of research opportunities.

There are an unbelievable number of clinical trials, investigator initiated studies, bench research through the HMRI (http://www.houstonmethodist.org/research), and seed grants available (even to fellows). Methodist is usually the leads enrollment in most trials in which it participates and the Methodist faculty are typically on the writing group / steering committee.

Most of the faculty here at Methodist are the former Baylor faculty before the split ... they didn't just stop doing research / academics or being leaders in Cardiology because they are now associated with Weill Cornell.

Yes the clinical training here is really strong and you will certainly leave being able to succeed in private practice, but if you want to do academics this is also a great place to start a career. Further, the fellowship program is set up to allow flexibility for either (program director will work hard to make sure you get levels you need for your career (ie most will leave general fellowship level 2 nuc/ct, level 2 echo, level 2 cath but you can also get level 3 echo if you want).

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say Methodist is a very strong program for both academics / private practice. You get excellent clinical training and tons of research opportunities.

There are an unbelievable number of clinical trials, investigator initiated studies, bench research through the HMRI (http://www.houstonmethodist.org/research), and seed grants available (even to fellows). Methodist is usually the leads enrollment in most trials in which it participates and the Methodist faculty are typically on the writing group / steering committee.

Most of the faculty here at Methodist are the former Baylor faculty before the split ... they didn't just stop doing research / academics or being leaders in Cardiology because they are now associated with Weill Cornell.

Yes the clinical training here is really strong and you will certainly leave being able to succeed in private practice, but if you want to do academics this is also a great place to start a career. Further, the fellowship program is set up to allow flexibility for either (program director will work hard to make sure you get levels you need for your career (ie most will leave general fellowship level 2 nuc/ct, level 2 echo, level 2 cath but you can also get level 3 echo if you want).

Good luck.

your user name is unfortunate, particularly for those in the field of heart failure.

p diddy

I would have to say that it is difficult to accurately compare the two at this point as the Methodist Fellowship program is still developing.

However, the Baylor-Houston program is apparently undergoing an expansion, with the new addition of a Heart Failure program/ group (made up of former Baylor Faculty and those who have switched allegiance to BCM from THI with the recent CHI-Baylor- St. Lukes merger).

- It seems that both programs are seeking new (or to renew) horizons.