Dumb High School Doc Wannabe Chick Bragging on Facebook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On one of my rotations all nursing students wore white coats. The overseeing nurse threatened any medical student she would make sure they would be failed if she saw them wearing white coats "because you shouldnt confuse patients". We knew several upper classmen who have been failed at this place for wearing white coats and theyre now in FM.

LOL "you shouldn't confuse patients" ...

"Hi, I'm Dr Nurse. Note my long white coat. Clearly, I'm a real doctor. Don't let these medical students fool you into thinking they know what they are doing. They will all grow up to be evil, money-grubbing, ******, who don't spend any time with their patients."

Nurse, DNP

Members don't see this ad.

On one of my rotations all nursing students wore white coats. The overseeing nurse threatened any medical student she would make sure they would be failed if she saw them wearing white coats "because you shouldnt confuse patients". We knew several upper classmen who have been failed at this place for wearing white coats and theyre now in FM.

sadly, it's the revenge of the nurses....:thumbdown:

nurses of any form shouldn't be allowed to ruin resident lives. even regular nurses have been seen to ruin a resident's career, due to the allowance of 360 degree supervision. a nurse shouldn't be allowed to do that. i do respect they have knowledge but that is ridiculous. it actually happened to me too...the nurses were so mean, pushy and vengeful and wanted to report the smallest insignificant things that i felt i had to leave or else the rest of my career will be over. and hence i can't get back in residency and having a really hard time doing so.

on the other hand, why would a med student wear a long white coat though. they can wear short white coats at least from my experience. i once wore a longish white coat by accident in my first rotation in med school, because i didn't know any better. thats unfair if they didn't know any better. sometimes no one even tells the med students that small important factoid.

Last edited:
Umm wow...it's spreading....i just saw this ad that popped up on SDN..DNP for CRNAs..complete it in 2 years...but i thought that CRNA's already had quite a bit of clout and make quite a bit of $...this just adds another step to them practicing independently.
Possibly these 'schools' are money making schemes...not to mention it is online. i dont have a problem of online schooling, but then again if you're going to be "like a doctor" or even comparable to a doctor, i dunno if it's okay...soon enough in a laissez faire country, im sure med school is going to be online, or even beat out by NP's online schools, and the whole US will be running on Noctors....

http://nurseanesthetist.une.edu/lp-...ntdoctor.net&gclid=CNfS1Z-ikaICFQrKsgodslQbjg

Last edited:
Facebook Link???

-pod

Her profile just happens to be completely public. She always loved being the center of attention. However, as tempting as it would be to expose this fraud for all she is, I would immediately out myself in the process.

UPDATE: May 26, 2010: "Ugh... That pharm test wuz major killer. Alpha this and Beta that and tryin to remember all those side effects!!! I am going to be a NP not a friggin pharmassist.:scared: Me hopes I passed! Anyone else feel the same?"

I immediately stopped scrolling back further at this point for fear that my body would go into violent relentless convulsions. For the sake of the healthcare of the people from my hometown, "Me hopes" she flunks out!

One of the arguments that I have not seen advanced sufficiently is the importance of intelligence to medical decision making.There are many nurses out there with superb medical knowledge, and I am sure that the average nurse is on the right side of the IQ bell curve, but the average doctor is probably in the top 10%. I am not saying that the average nurse is dumb. Some nurses could have gone to medical school but may have chosen not to due to family or other circumstances, but the average nurse would not have been accepted to medical school had he applied, at least in my opinion. Think about the people you knew in high school who went on to become doctors versus those who went on to become nurses and I think you will agree. Given the same facts and same level of medical knowledge, I'd take the person who I thought could better process the facts of the case and generate the best plan of action. A medical license indicates, at least the vast majority of the time, that the doctor not only has the medical knowledge necessary to pass the USMLE, but also the intelligence to do so. There is no such guarantee with a DNP. It may be politically incorrect to say it, but intelligence matters.

Her profile just happens to be completely public. She always loved being the center of attention. However, as tempting as it would be to expose this fraud for all she is, I would immediately out myself in the process.

UPDATE: May 26, 2010: "Ugh... That pharm test wuz major killer. Alpha this and Beta that and tryin to remember all those side effects!!! I am going to be a NP not a friggin pharmassist.:scared: Me hopes I passed! Anyone else feel the same?"

I immediately stopped scrolling back further at this point for fear that my body would go into violent relentless convulsions. For the sake of the healthcare of the people from my hometown, "Me hopes" she flunks out!

haha... that status cracks me up...

What would make it even better is if she really thinks pharmacist is spelled that way

Judging by your attending status and the fact that you went to school with her, I can't believe a 30+ year old (or close to it) talks like that.

One of the arguments that I have not seen advanced sufficiently is the importance of intelligence to medical decision making.There are many nurses out there with superb medical knowledge, and I am sure that the average nurse is on the right side of the IQ bell curve, but the average doctor is probably in the top 10%. I am not saying that the average nurse is dumb. Some nurses could have gone to medical school but may have chosen not to due to family or other circumstances, but the average nurse would not have been accepted to medical school had he applied, at least in my opinion. Think about the people you knew in high school who went on to become doctors versus those who went on to become nurses and I think you will agree. Given the same facts and same level of medical knowledge, I'd take the person who I thought could better process the facts of the case and generate the best plan of action. A medical license indicates, at least the vast majority of the time, that the doctor not only has the medical knowledge necessary to pass the USMLE, but also the intelligence to do so. There is no such guarantee with a DNP. It may be politically incorrect to say it, but intelligence matters.

I hate to say it, and I realize it doesn't seem this way from a pre-med perspective, but intelligence in medicine really doesn't add a ton. Not being stupid does, sure, but a lot of good medical decision making is a result of experience and training, and being able to think in AND out of teh algorithmic box. Doctors generally are better at medical management and diagnosis overall because of more intensive training and overall clinical time. Except maybe in neurology when those extra neurons may be quite useful ;).

Wow ... I can't wait until she can legally advertise herself as a "doctor" and see patients independently. I seriously don't know how you haven't verbally ripped her apart via facebook.

I hate to say it, and I realize it doesn't seem this way from a pre-med perspective, but intelligence in medicine really doesn't add a ton. Not being stupid does, sure, but a lot of good medical decision making is a result of experience and training, and being able to think in AND out of teh algorithmic box. Doctors generally are better at medical management and diagnosis overall because of more intensive training and overall clinical time. Except maybe in neurology when those extra neurons may be quite useful ;).

What I meant to say in my original post but did not in the interest of brevity is that beyond some level of intelligence then the marginal gain from additional IQ points becomes less noticeable. For example (just throwing out IQ numbers, not that I put too much stock in them), a jump from say 130 to 140 makes a less noticeable difference than a jump from 100 to 110. If we remove the outliers from a typical med school class, then I don't think there is much of a difference between the guy at the 25th percentile and the guy at the 75th in terms of competence and clinical decision making. I do think that the average nurse doesn't cross my imaginary threshold. I certainly didn't mean to downplay the importance of experience. I will start residency in about a year and then I will really begin to learn something!

OMG, that is hilarious. She can't even spell and talks like she's from the hood. Seriously though, it's scary that she might be taking care of patients "independently." For all her potential future patients, let's hope she failed.

i have been a lurker on SDN since pre-med, im now a 4th year and the plain BS of this situation has made me get off my lazy ***** and register. anyways i felt the need to post that link..HOW INSANE

http://www.aacn.nche.edu/dnp/dnpprogramlist.htm

My suggestion; we all need to start student organizations at our schools against this movement or at least, inform the rest of our colleagues of what is going on,

Start writing to politicians telling them the downside of this.
Most politicians dont have a real clue of how the healthcare system works, we cant expect them to magically know, so it is our job to inform them.
(emphasise how mistakes will just raise the cost of health care)

I hope to go into surgery, so i urge those with an interest in pursuing family to really take the time to do this. Bring this up at the next Family medicine interest group meeting.
Protect your rights, and the rights of your patients.

Attendings, Practising physicians really don't have the same amount of time that nurses do, and someone has to get the ball rolling on this,

Obama is too stupid to figure out the real situation here someone has got to set him straight.

And i can just imagine what a TARDD that soon to be DNP is, even in my HS i remember clueless bimbos that just made alot of noise, and made no actual sense ,but back then i assumed they would be asking if i would like fries with that in the future, and wouldnt really have the oppertunity to hurt anyone, so it didnt matter.
NOW there are peoples lives at stake.

What about when the DNP misses appendicitis? bc she thinks " its just food poisioning or a tummy ache"

Ive heard some of the most stupidest things in the last year of my clerkships come out of an NP's mouth.

(not all of them are degenerates, some are smart those who know they are nurses and the roll they play. Which is an important roll, but if all the nurses are busy playing doctor, who is going to be playing the roll of the nurse?)

ive had a nurse tell me we all wont have jobs in the future because of jihad :eek:....the worst part is im pretty sure she didnt even know what that actually ment and was just quoteing Nancy Grace ( but thats a topic for another day)

Thats my spheel on this.

And i have a suggestion why dont they wear white coats with sponge bob square pants patterns on them or teddy bears...isnt that more their MO:laugh:

sorry i had to say it.

AND i dont think anyone who says " ME hopes i passed " or talks in a baby voice or whatever that nonsensical garbage is should EVER be given a Doctorate of anything.

i hope someone starts a student organization against DNP's at their medical school...here's hopeing :xf:

I happen to know someone at Wilkes University (not a student). He spoke with someone on the Board of Trustees who happens to be an MD. When the board member was informed of the fabulous DNP program with the wonderful 1 week residency he was horrified. Absolutely horrified.

I happen to know someone at Wilkes University (not a student). He spoke with someone on the Board of Trustees who happens to be an MD. When the board member was informed of the fabulous DNP program with the wonderful 1 week residency he was horrified. Absolutely horrified.

Do you know if s/he is going to do anything about it (letters, phone call, well-illustrated posters)? Just wondering...

This post stretches credulity.

They shouldn't be allowed to call it a residency. To me that is, hmmm...how can I say it tactfully? Oh well, lying.

i have been a lurker on SDN since pre-med, im now a 4th year and the plain BS of this situation has made me get off my lazy ***** and register. anyways i felt the need to post that link..HOW INSANE

http://www.aacn.nche.edu/dnp/dnpprogramlist.htm

My suggestion; we all need to start student organizations at our schools against this movement or at least, inform the rest of our colleagues of what is going on,

Start writing to politicians telling them the downside of this.
Most politicians dont have a real clue of how the healthcare system works, we cant expect them to magically know, so it is our job to inform them.
(emphasise how mistakes will just raise the cost of health care)

I hope to go into surgery, so i urge those with an interest in pursuing family to really take the time to do this. Bring this up at the next Family medicine interest group meeting.
Protect your rights, and the rights of your patients.

Attendings, Practising physicians really don't have the same amount of time that nurses do, and someone has to get the ball rolling on this,

Obama is too stupid to figure out the real situation here someone has got to set him straight.

And i can just imagine what a TARDD that soon to be DNP is, even in my HS i remember clueless bimbos that just made alot of noise, and made no actual sense ,but back then i assumed they would be asking if i would like fries with that in the future, and wouldnt really have the oppertunity to hurt anyone, so it didnt matter.
NOW there are peoples lives at stake.

What about when the DNP misses appendicitis? bc she thinks " its just food poisioning or a tummy ache"

Ive heard some of the most stupidest things in the last year of my clerkships come out of an NP's mouth.

(not all of them are degenerates, some are smart those who know they are nurses and the roll they play. Which is an important roll, but if all the nurses are busy playing doctor, who is going to be playing the roll of the nurse?)

ive had a nurse tell me we all wont have jobs in the future because of jihad :eek:....the worst part is im pretty sure she didnt even know what that actually ment and was just quoteing Nancy Grace ( but thats a topic for another day)

Thats my spheel on this.

And i have a suggestion why dont they wear white coats with sponge bob square pants patterns on them or teddy bears...isnt that more their MO:laugh:

sorry i had to say it.

AND i dont think anyone who says " ME hopes i passed " or talks in a baby voice or whatever that nonsensical garbage is should EVER be given a Doctorate of anything.

i hope someone starts a student organization against DNP's at their medical school...here's hopeing :xf:

If you're going to refer to NPs as *****s, then you should really take more care with how you post. You don't exactly look so swift, IYKWIM. :rolleyes:

I can't wait until I'm done with residency. Once I'm done, I will spend my free time speaking to different groups about the educational differences between physicians and NP's. I don't want to necessarily scale back their scope because I know that is a losing battle. What I would insist on is more clinical hours, more testing, etc. If DNP's want to be the equivalent of physicians and if laws will be changed to make that happen, then I want them to have equivalent training. Similar to how the DO training is similar to MD training. Raise the bar for DNP's wanting to practice independently as high as it is for physicians. Second, I will start to speak to legal and insurance groups and at their conferences. If DNP's want to have the same scope but inferior training, then they need to have higher insurance premiums and be a juicy target for lawyers. I hope that others will follow my lead.

I am encouraged that others are beginning to see what I have seen for the past 5 years. The DNP is nothing more than a blatant attempt by the nurses to claim as much of medicine for themselves as possible without going through the rigorous training. When **** hits the fan, they want to hide behind you. That's why I say don't hire or train NP's. Keep them as far away from your license as possible.

I can't wait until I'm done with residency. Once I'm done, I will spend my free time speaking to different groups about the educational differences between physicians and NP's. I don't want to necessarily scale back their scope because I know that is a losing battle. What I would insist on is more clinical hours, more testing, etc. If DNP's want to be the equivalent of physicians and if laws will be changed to make that happen, then I want them to have equivalent training. Similar to how the DO training is similar to MD training. Raise the bar for DNP's wanting to practice independently as high as it is for physicians. Second, I will start to speak to legal and insurance groups and at their conferences. If DNP's want to have the same scope but inferior training, then they need to have higher insurance premiums and be a juicy target for lawyers. I hope that others will follow my lead.

I am encouraged that others are beginning to see what I have seen for the past 5 years. The DNP is nothing more than a blatant attempt by the nurses to claim as much of medicine for themselves as possible without going through the rigorous training. When **** hits the fan, they want to hide behind you. That's why I say don't hire or train NP's. Keep them as far away from your license as possible.

Awesome. Keep fighting the good fight!

Second, I will start to speak to legal and insurance groups and at their conferences. If DNP's want to have the same scope but inferior training, then they need to have higher insurance premiums and be a juicy target for lawyers.

The liability angle is what will eventually correct this whole mess. When the rather large downside to independent practice rears its head, that pasture won't look so green.

If you're going to refer to NPs as *****s, then you should really take more care with how you post. You don't exactly look so swift, IYKWIM. :rolleyes:

Ok
1. You are a Troll, i've read your posts before
2. This is a perfect example of how astute you must be

-in my above post i refered to that particular girl as a ****, and the fact that she is a soon to be DNP doesn't make all NP's *****. Lets me give you an example to make this easy for you. Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma city bomber) was a ******, for blowing up the federal building in down town Oklahoma. Now does that make every citizen of Oklahoma a ******. NO, only he is based on his actions.
I hope that was simple enough. This is exactly the type of attention to detail, and higher level thinking that is required to be able to pick up on simple nuances in both medicine and life.

3. It's real easy to sound swift- with one liners, ive read your posts that are composed of more than one sentence. :smack:
4. With that, that is the last time i will be feeding the TROLL

Moveing on..... Tarus, im right behind you. Once i finish residency i think ill join you on that battle. I actually have no problem with the idea of a DNP. I enjoy workin with PA's who are well trained. I've worked with some that are highly motivated and quite knowledgeable. It is the level of training, and experience of the current DNP program that i am concerned with.

Most of us got into this field, to make a positive difference or change the world for the better. Definetly not because they wanted to impersonate house MD, or have DR. in front of their name. Even if they did, im sure that concept lost all its glitter and sheen after the first pharm or path exam.

It is the huge fixation of having Dr. in front of the NP, without putting in the hours of work, that slightly worries me.

Last edited:
Way to work against us, this thread has a link from aafp about how this guy believes family medicine residency should be 4 yrs
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=736393#post9786856

I agree with him on the lack of knowledge about practice management.
But that can easily be fixed by offering Business management courses, or something along the lines of that

On another note, I think schools like Texas Tech are trying compensate for the DNP problem by creating Family Medicine Accelerated Track programs.
Which I see absolutely no problem with when you have programs like the DNP training program popping up all over.
http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/...nt-student-focus/20100408texas-tech-fmat.html

The liability angle is what will eventually correct this whole mess. When the rather large downside to independent practice rears its head, that pasture won't look so green.

The liability angle is what prevents NP's from having taken over all of medicine already. The liability angle is what stops an internist from doing brain surgery. If the states change their laws to allow NP's to have equal scope as physicians, what is to stop them from overreaching? The threat of a major lawsuit. You can't depend on them to know and respect their limits based on their educational training.

There are some very aggressive individuals in this world who have no respect for tradition. They will keep pushing the boundaries until the boundaries push back. We have to help the insurance companies and law firms push back.

Ok
1. You are a Troll, i've read your posts before
2. This is a perfect example of how astute you must be

-in my above post i refered to that particular girl as a ****, and the fact that she is a soon to be DNP doesn't make all NP's *****. Lets me give you an example to make this easy for you. Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma city bomber) was a ******, for blowing up the federal building in down town Oklahoma. Now does that make every citizen of Oklahoma a ******. NO, only he is based on his actions.
I hope that was simple enough. This is exactly the type of attention to detail, and higher level thinking that is required to be able to pick up on simple nuances in both medicine and life.

3. It's real easy to sound swift- with one liners, ive read your posts that are composed of more than one sentence. :smack:
4. With that, that is the last time i will be feeding the TROLL

Moveing on..... Tarus, im right behind you. Once i finish residency i think ill join you on that battle. I actually have no problem with the idea of a DNP. I enjoy workin with PA's who are well trained. I've worked with some that are highly motivated and quite knowledgeable. It is the level of training, and experience of the current DNP program that i am concerned with.

Most of us got into this field, to make a positive difference or change the world for the better. Definetly not because they wanted to impersonate house MD, or have DR. in front of their name. Even if they did, im sure that concept lost all its glitter and sheen after the first pharm or path exam.

It is the huge fixation of having Dr. in front of the NP, without putting in the hours of work, that slightly worries me.

Actually, I don't think fab4fan is even close to a troll. If you really did read all his/her posts you'd see that he/she's more on our side than not.

Actually, I don't think fab4fan is even close to a troll. If you really did read all his/her posts you'd see that he/she's more on our side than not.

Agreed.

fab4fan is far from a troll and has been a welcome member of SDN for quite some time. She supports physicians when she sees her colleagues doing things that don't make sense, are dangerous, etc.

"a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."-wikipedia

I wasn't commenting about what side the poster was taking. That's not a troll, that is just having an opinion. I was pointing out how they were going about antagonizing other posters. Specifically referring to the prior "nurses masquerading as md's thread". I dont care enough to read all her posts, but I do not appreciate being antagonized.

"a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."-wikipedia

I wasn't commenting about what side the poster was taking. That's not a troll, that is just having an opinion. I was pointing out how they were going about antagonizing other posters. Specifically referring to the prior "nurses masquerading as md's thread". I dont care enough to read all her posts, but I do not appreciate being antagonized.

She pointed out, and generally rightly so, that calling others names makes you look bad. This is nothing new.

I don't mean to make light of this, but, as a soon to be resident (and still a clinical medical student), you're going to get antagonized. Best to just not let it get to you.

Please provide the post in which fab4fan is "going about antagonizing other posters", or being inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic. As I recall, she had some difference of opinion with another nurse in that thread (one who was eventually banned), an opinion that was shared by most of the MDs/DOs in the thread.

Last edited:
I am about to start nursing school in the fall, and I don't know why there are even DNP programs. IMO, there needs to be a distinct separation and understanding between the education of doctors and nurses. If you want to be a doctor, be a doctor. If you want to be a nurse, be a nurse. It's that simple. PA's and NP simply could not and do not have the superior knowledge that doctors do. How could they? It's as simple as the difference in formal education!

I go to a military hospital, and I NEVER get to see a doctor. They have normally 1 or 2 doctors in the clinic and a bunch of PAs. I don't think that's fair, but who am I to complain? You get what you get.

I'm basically saying that the lines are starting to blur a little bit between who is providing primary care, and laypersons aren't noticing. They don't know anything about the alphabet soup behind someone's name, and honestly, they probably don't care but they should.

I am in no way bashing my future profession of being a nurse, because that is what a will be---a nurse! Not a doctor wannabe!

Thank you, I think that's all we are really asking for. I actually appreciate nurses, Id say many times they have to deal with more BS from the patient directly than we do.

I am about to start nursing school in the fall, and I don't know why there are even DNP programs. IMO, there needs to be a distinct separation and understanding between the education of doctors and nurses. If you want to be a doctor, be a doctor. If you want to be a nurse, be a nurse. It's that simple. PA's and NP simply could not and do not have the superior knowledge that doctors do. How could they? It's as simple as the difference in formal education!

I go to a military hospital, and I NEVER get to see a doctor. They have normally 1 or 2 doctors in the clinic and a bunch of PAs. I don't think that's fair, but who am I to complain? You get what you get.

I'm basically saying that the lines are starting to blur a little bit between who is providing primary care, and laypersons aren't noticing. They don't know anything about the alphabet soup behind someone's name, and honestly, they probably don't care but they should.

I am in no way bashing my future profession of being a nurse, because that is what a will be---a nurse! Not a doctor wannabe!

I have visited family practices where in fact the RNs refer to PA's as doctors! :eek:

hospital i worked at had hospital baseball of DOCTORS vs OTHERS

there were PAs on the DOCTORS team. i was like ummm you guys aren't doctors....

you gotta be kidding me, i would have complained to the school AND got an attorney involved. things work better that way

honestly, with the classes nurses take (especially in nurse practitioning) you compare that to any other health care degree you will see it is comparable.

look at pharmacy:

anatomy, pathophysiology, physiology, bio, chem, orgo, physics, calc, stats, biochem, microbio, pharmacology, med chem, physical chem, drug delivery, physical exam, therapeutics in all systems, etc etc

is there a reason pharmacy isn't working more with patients? obviously politically driven. from the way it sounds pharmacists could do PA work just add in radiology and a few other things to expand and it is covered. (New Mexico does this)

with that post about this girl not knowing the medications she is putting in a patient's body is scary. she will not get weeded out because schools are diploma mills these days.

everyone gets degrees just fork over the massive tuition.

Last edited:
I am ambivalent regarding the notion of physician extenders receiving the authority to practice independently and unsupervised. Anyone willing to assume the malpractice liability for outcomes in each patient encounter is welcome to it. A few well-publicized cases of DNPs being crucified for embarrassing misses will be enough to correct the market.

And, well, if they don't fail - then we need to get off our high horse and re-examine our medical training to see if it truly meets the existing needs.

I am ambivalent regarding the notion of physician extenders receiving the authority to practice independently and unsupervised. Anyone willing to assume the malpractice liability for outcomes in each patient encounter is welcome to it. A few well-publicized cases of DNPs being crucified for embarrassing misses will be enough to correct the market.

And, well, if they don't fail - then we need to get off our high horse and re-examine our medical training to see if it truly meets the existing needs.

What happens to patients in the meantime??? 99% of the time, I agree with you - if they want to take on the risks and try it, go for it and let the "market" decide, but it's not worth playing with patient lives.

What happens to patients in the meantime??? 99% of the time, I agree with you - if they want to take on the risks and try it, go for it and let the "market" decide, but it's not worth playing with patient lives.

i agree with you. look how physicians are being sued these days. even a minor error etc triggers law suits now. there is so much stress involved in care.

i don't think it is right to allow them to practice independently. i was very questionable about even practicing under supervision.

i have had HORRIBLE experiences with nurse practitioners.

TRUE STORY: I had a 100+ temp for a week. I went to student health clinic and was seen by a nurse practitioner. My throat looked like strep throat. she examined my mid-section and then talked about how nice my abs were (100% TRUE). She said you may have strep throat or mono, go get some rest. No rapid strep, no blood work. I came back a few days later and demanded only a physician. I even told the front desk how I was just sent away, the nurses and physicians couldn't believe it. It ended up being mono.

Other issues: NP during my teens misdiagnosed me with a few things here and there.

It is at the point, I only see physicians. I will not see a NP whatsoever. If given the option of waiting or seeing an NP, I'd rather wait. I will refuse care from any NP being sent my way.

Plain and simple, how do you approach patient care without going through the pathophysiology?

Don't get me wrong, they can do simple things. I have seen some NP just throwing meds at patients without the proper lab tests and putting a patient at risk.

TRUE STORY: I had a 100+ temp for a week. I went to student health clinic and was seen by a nurse practitioner. My throat looked like strep throat. she examined my mid-section and then talked about how nice my abs were (100% TRUE). She said you may have strep throat or mono, go get some rest. No rapid strep, no blood work. I came back a few days later and demanded only a physician. I even told the front desk how I was just sent away, the nurses and physicians couldn't believe it. It ended up being mono.

So the correct diagnosis was in her n=2 differential, and her treatment plan was rest, which is about the only thing one can do for mono. Sort of funny, in a messed up way.

So the correct diagnosis was in her n=2 differential, and her treatment plan was rest, which is about the only thing one can do for mono. Sort of funny, in a messed up way.

lol i know. if it is strep, at least let's treat it with a PCN, if it is mono, let's avoid the amoxicillin. you would figure a rapid strep or something. nothing at all....

Patient education, precautions and how to avoid spreading it to others should be just as important as diagnosing the correct disease....right?

i agree with you. look how physicians are being sued these days. even a minor error etc triggers law suits now. there is so much stress involved in care.

i don't think it is right to allow them to practice independently. i was very questionable about even practicing under supervision.

i have had HORRIBLE experiences with nurse practitioners.

Other issues: NP during my teens misdiagnosed me with a few things here and there.

It is at the point, I only see physicians. I will not see a NP whatsoever. If given the option of waiting or seeing an NP, I'd rather wait. I will refuse care from any NP being sent my way.

Plain and simple, how do you approach patient care without going through the pathophysiology?

Don't get me wrong, they can do simple things. I have seen some NP just throwing meds at patients without the proper lab tests and putting a patient at risk.

I know it's all anecdotal ... but I've had two horrible experiences as well:

During college, I had some sort of skin thing on my upper arm (small, about the size of a dime, but odd looking) ... go to the school clinic, the NP walks in, wearing a long white coat and sandals :)eek:), pokes around, scrapes it, comes back in and says she doesn't know what it is, go to the store and buy some completely unrelated over the counter cream. Did this, didn't work, etc. Try to make an appointment with my PCP when I went home on a school break, couldn't see him, ended up seeing a NP, completely missed it again, fumbled, looked something up on a computer half way through, did nothing. Saw my PCP for it FINALLY ... guy is a FP, looks at it for 2 seconds, says it's "X," writes me a script, clears up immediately.

Moral of the story ... I no longer see them either, and educate/encourage everyone I know to do the same.

lol i know. if it is strep, at least let's treat it with a PCN, if it is mono, let's avoid the amoxicillin. you would figure a rapid strep or something. nothing at all....

Actually, the literature seems to be heading towards not treating strep especially in adults.

Actually, the literature seems to be heading towards not treating strep especially in adults.

Treating strep is important in that it prevents rheumatic fever and post streptococcal glomeruneprhitis though...so it has it's benefits....

i dont see her predicting the future of infectious diseases a few yrs back.

actually i would disagree with that, it has its benefits.

Treating strep is important in that it prevents rheumatic fever and post streptococcal glomeruneprhitis though...so it has it's benefits....
I believe PCN Tx doesn't prevent the GN, just the RF.

"The general public knows to see a doctor for a sore throat, but the actual benefit of this visit is unclear. Rheumatic fever is a sequela of about 1% of group A streptococcal infections, and only about 10% of sore throats seen by physicians represent group A streptococcal infections. Post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis is usually a self- limiting illness and is not prevented with antibiotic treatment. Penicillin therapy does avoid acute rheumatic fever and may sometimes reduce symptoms or shorten the course of a sore throat. Antibiotics probably inhibit progress of the infection into tonsillitis, peritonsillar and retropharyngeal abscesses, adenitis, and pneumonia"

http://www.ncemi.org/cse/cse0312.htm

You realize who your audience is here, right? :idea:

Implied+Facepalm.jpg

UPDATE: She passed:eek:

"So happy I could scream! Just found out I passed my pharm final! Woohoo! Thanks to a 15 point curve! Yay! Any of my girls up for some celebrating in the city this weekend?"

Comments:
L.D.: "I knew you could do it! Congrats!"
G.S.: "Congratulations!!!"
R.S.: "Just find out I passed as well! That class was the hardest thing I ever took in my life. So glad I don't have to do it again!"
V.A: "Hey girl! It's been awhile. When are we going to hang again? So, how much longer before you start up your practice?"
Medicinesux: "Your ****t!ng us with this "doctor nurse" thing, right?"
D.R: OMG! Who is this troll?