Dukes Anonymous :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tropicana100

Pure Juice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so envious of all of you with Duke invites. I was waitlisted last year. Hopefully I get another chance to interview.

(This thread was inspired by FemalesCANTDriv, the biggest Duke addict SDN has ever seen.)

Members don't see this ad.

I really hope I can get into Duke I loved visiting there when I interviewed. Tropicana do you know what Duke stats are after all the interviews ( how many people they accept, waitlist, re-ject post interview)?

I didnt apply to DUke (and really dont have the stats for it)....but I heard there program is unique? how so? what does it mean to go to duke for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so envious of all of you with Duke invites. I was waitlisted last year. Hopefully I get another chance to interview.

(This thread was inspired by FemalesCANTDriv, the biggest Duke addict SDN has ever seen.)

Wait, were you not accepted at other schools? I would think your application is pretty strong to get a duke waitlist. haha, sorry if it sounds like i'm prying. i have friends who got waitlisted at top 5 schools and decided not to go anywhere because they didn't get into said top 5 schools so I was just wondering if that was the case.

I didnt apply to DUke (and really dont have the stats for it)....but I heard there program is unique? how so? what does it mean to go to duke for med school?

At Duke they condense the traditional two years of basic sciences into one, so that in your third year you can spend the entire time doing research or pursuing a second degree. This threw me off at first, but it sounds like they do incredibly well on the boards and it lets you do in four years what would take five years at any other school.

Wait, were you not accepted at other schools? I would think your application is pretty strong to get a duke waitlist. haha, sorry if it sounds like i'm prying. i have friends who got waitlisted at top 5 schools and decided not to go anywhere because they didn't get into said top 5 schools so I was just wondering if that was the case.

I was not accepted anywhere last year. I even interviewed at JHop - pretty frightening, huh? Fortunately, I've been accepted have some great choices so far as a reapplicant. Now I can just hope to get an interview at Duke and let them know how much I still care :)

I really hope I can get into Duke I loved visiting there when I interviewed. Tropicana do you know what Duke stats are after all the interviews ( how many people they accept, waitlist, re-ject post interview)?

Last year, Director of Admissions Brenda Armstrong said in an email to me and my advisor: "Of the almost 6000 applicants, we only interviewed 700 and made initial offers to 170." From SDN, I estimated 100 people were on the waitlist and there was very little waitlist movement at all (less than 10 people got off the waitlist).

how are decisions made after the interview.. i.e. do they accept you based on your interview performance? or are your stats still super important at that stage? like if someone with a 3.7 overall GPA but great xtracurrics/research got an interview that went great, will they still be waitlisted if someone else with a 3.8 has a great interview too and similar non-academic stuff..??

how are decisions made after the interview.. i.e. do they accept you based on your interview performance? or are your stats still super important at that stage? like if someone with a 3.7 overall GPA but great xtracurrics/research got an interview that went great, will they still be waitlisted if someone else with a 3.8 has a great interview too and similar non-academic stuff..??

Duke meticulously builds a class made of people from a wide variety of different backgrounds, activities, etc. I believe that when someone withdraws, they will try to pull someone from the waitlist who is similar in background/experiences to the person who withdrew. Of course, Duke matriculant numbers are very high. That's because they simply get to pick the most unique individuals among those with stellar stats. :)

I was not accepted anywhere last year. I even interviewed at JHop - pretty frightening, huh? Fortunately, I've been accepted have some great choices so far as a reapplicant. Now I can just hope to get an interview at Duke and let them know how much I still care :)

Huh... I'm not sure how you didn't get in last cycle, you seem like a superstar candidate... 6 acceptances by 11/15 :bow:

Huh... I'm not sure how you didn't get in last cycle, you seem like a superstar candidate... 6 acceptances by 11/15 :bow:

thanks drizz :) nice smiley, too. congrats on UWisc - i know someone who met you when you interviewed on the first date.

sorry to re-post this question.. but does the interview count for 100% at the end? so they consider your grades etc before they invite you, and then the interview is the make or break? or does it count for 50% (and grades and extracurrics are the other 50%?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, Director of Admissions Brenda Armstrong said in an email to me and my advisor: "Of the almost 6000 applicants, we only interviewed 700 and made initial offers to 170." From SDN, I estimated 100 people were on the waitlist and there was very little waitlist movement at all (less than 10 people got off the waitlist).
Sorry I did not read the rest of this thread to see if someone corrected this. I was at Duke today and was told there were 18 people taken off the WL. Still, that's very little movement and Duke has an excellent yield. They initially accepted 174 for ~105 spots.

Jessie, as to your question I do not know. I DO know that if you don't break an interview cutoff, then they won't even consider the rest of your app. In another Duke thread this was mentioned by someone currently at the school, maybe they could shed some light on this?

I also am in love with Duke: -1 year science, +1 year research/2nd degree is pretty incredible.

Sorry I did not read the rest of this thread to see if someone corrected this. I was at Duke today and was told there were 18 people taken off the WL. Still, that's very little movement and Duke has an excellent yield. They initially accepted 174 for ~105 spots.

Jessie, as to your question I do not know. I DO know that if you don't break an interview cutoff, then they won't even consider the rest of your app. In another Duke thread this was mentioned by someone currently at the school, maybe they could shed some light on this?

I also am in love with Duke: -1 year science, +1 year research/2nd degree is pretty incredible.

Yeah, pretty insane. Slightly more than 50% of initial acceptance offers were accepted. That's partly thanks to the sweet scholarships that Duke offers.

After your interview, they give you a score from 0-5. I'm pretty sure it's based on your entire app - there are definitely people in my class who I doubt could have gotten in if they were judged solely on their interview skills...

Anyway, if you get a 5 you're in. Then they accept the 4.9's, and on down the line, until they've extended all the offers they need to. Sorry I don't have a much clearer picture, this is what our dean told us one day at dean's lunch.

After your interview, they give you a score from 0-5. I'm pretty sure it's based on your entire app - there are definitely people in my class who I doubt could have gotten in if they were judged solely on their interview skills...

Anyway, if you get a 5 you're in. Then they accept the 4.9's, and on down the line, until they've extended all the offers they need to. Sorry I don't have a much clearer picture, this is what our dean told us one day at dean's lunch.
Wow, thanks. Very helpful. Doesn't seem like LOI's or anything would have much effect then?

And really those 2 people we interviewed with have the final vote? Seems strange. Most schools say a committee of 10-20 will vote on each applicant. I'm definitely glad I didn't know that going in though, haha, that would have exponentially increased my own stress level.

Wow, thanks. Very helpful. Doesn't seem like LOI's or anything would have much effect then?

And really those 2 people we interviewed with have the final vote? Seems strange. Most schools say a committee of 10-20 will vote on each applicant. I'm definitely glad I didn't know that going in though, haha, that would have exponentially increased my own stress level.

I think if you're going to get rejected, a LOI won't help you. But if you're kind of in that gray area between accept and waitlist, an LOI will help (and certainly couldn't hurt). I sent an LOI a couple of weeks before decisions were made, got waitlisted, sent a note to the dean after I got the waitlist just saying I was still interested, and then sent another update/LOI at the end of April, before the waitlists started moving, and got in the first day the waitlist opened. I know other ppl in my class who got in after sending an LOI, and people who got in off the waitlist who did nothing. Basically, if Duke is your top choice, I'd let them know that.

I think if you're going to get rejected, a LOI won't help you. But if you're kind of in that gray area between accept and waitlist, an LOI will help (and certainly couldn't hurt). I sent an LOI a couple of weeks before decisions were made, got waitlisted, sent a note to the dean after I got the waitlist just saying I was still interested, and then sent another update/LOI at the end of April, before the waitlists started moving, and got in the first day the waitlist opened. I know other ppl in my class who got in after sending an LOI, and people who got in off the waitlist who did nothing. Basically, if Duke is your top choice, I'd let them know that.

After being waitlisted, I wrote an LOI and asked a professor to write to Dr. Armstrong. Still no good. In retrospect, however, I did sound a bit desperate. I plan to write Duke in a month if I don't get an interview. I plan write a better letter and convert that desperation into infatuation - that's the only way our relationship will work out.:love:

After being waitlisted, I wrote an LOI and asked a professor to write to Dr. Armstrong. Still no good. In retrospect, however, I did sound a bit desperate. I plan to write Duke in a month if I don't get an interview. I plan write a better letter and convert that desperation into infatuation - that's the only way our relationship will work out.:love:

Yeah there were a lot more waitlist acceptances my year (I'm a second year) due to the lacrosse "scandal".

Yeah there were a lot more waitlist acceptances my year (I'm a second year) due to the lacrosse "scandal".

i actually drove by the lacrosse house when i interviewed last year. pretty sad story but i think the whole thing was blown out of proportion. i find it strange that something that has absolutely nothing to do with the med school would have a real impact on waitlist movement. weird...

Thanks for the info, sure would be nice to know my score...Do you have any idea how much weight the interview holds in that 0-5 scale?

Thanks for the info, sure would be nice to know my score...Do you have any idea how much weight the interview holds in that 0-5 scale?

I'm not sure. It's really a "whole package" kind of deal though - most of my classmates are pretty unique in their own way. I think Duke is one of very few schools that will truly look past someone with great numbers and ok ECs in favor of someone with good numbers and great ECs.

thats good to know. maybe the waitlist moved because people were too afraid to go to Duke (thinking its unsafe etc..) after the scandal..

I'm not sure. It's really a "whole package" kind of deal though - most of my classmates are pretty unique in their own way. I think Duke is one of very few schools that will truly look past someone with great numbers and ok ECs in favor of someone with good numbers and great ECs.

Yeah I really got that feeling during my interview day, it was obvious that they were trying to get to know you as a person and look past just your numbers.

hey diosa, how are rotations so far?

So if you interviewees/applicants have questions about life as a first year student, I'll try to check back and answer soon. Regarding statistics you all were asking for, I can add I've heard the MCAT average for our class was scarily high, 37, (makes me feel dumb). I'd also heard the same story Diosa related about the interview scores being important. In terms of waitlist movement, I dunno what it really was (I was a lucky waitlister) - I had heard "it can be counted on one hand" and 5 or 10, though I suppose 18 sounds more reasonable as an earlier poster mentioned.

I also agree with Diosa that Duke seems to look past the numbers in their application process. My scores were not in the stratosphere, and I get the same impression from some of my classmates. I think there were a lot of people involved with service and student leadership in the past. My fellow MS1's are perhaps the most intense, varied people I have ever been around. It's really sort of cool/inspiring to be a part of the group because you go into CTL (central teaching lab) at 2 am the night before our gross exam this week and everyone's buckled down in crunch mode. At the same time, they are involved in a lot of other extracurricular activities while still constantly pumping out histology flow charts and ridiculously artistic/detailed study guides for the rest of the dass. In one word, intense - but intense in a good way. Go Duke!

haha wow 37? :eek: haha I should've retaken the MCAT again. Duke definitely has an intense first year, but on the bright side, when its done it's done. Then you get a full year reinforce basic sciences while doing clinical. how awesome is that? Come on Duke! interview me :luck::luck::luck:

I am living proof that Duke seems willing to look past grades/MCAT for very unique life experiences -- they are the only school so far to overlook my poor BCPM GPA and offer me an interview.

I only hope that my BCPM GPA (and to lesser extent my overall GPA) does not come back to haunt me post-interview. I'm pretty confident that I'll interview well.

Any thoughts? Advice?

I am living proof that Duke seems willing to look past grades/MCAT for very unique life experiences -- they are the only school so far to overlook my poor BCPM GPA and offer me an interview.

I only hope that my BCPM GPA (and to lesser extent my overall GPA) does not come back to haunt me post-interview. I'm pretty confident that I'll interview well.

Any thoughts? Advice?

congrats on the interview! very unique extracurrics :)

I got my invite Nov 20 last year. Now it's Nov 21. I think I'll give it a month before I write my letter of interest.

Any thoughts? Advice?

which other school offered you an interview nova? I am also wondering if the stats will haunt us post-interview... is it possible to get a "5" with a great interview but "ok" stats?

I got my invite Nov 20 last year. Now it's Nov 21. I think I'll give it a month before I write my letter of interest.
hey trop, I wouldn't wait a month to write your letter if they haven't interviewed you yet. The secondary due date is usually around December 1, and the last interviews usually go out within 3 weeks after that. So waiting a month might be too late.

I'm also a 2nd year and have the distinct honor of saying that I roomed with both diosa and the aforementioned FemalesCantDriv and lived to tell about it.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

hey trop, I wouldn't wait a month to write your letter if they haven't interviewed you yet. The secondary due date is usually around December 1, and the last interviews usually go out within 3 weeks after that. So waiting a month might be too late.

I'm also a 2nd year and have the distinct honor of saying that I roomed with both diosa and the aforementioned FemalesCantDriv and lived to tell about it.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks Mr. Burns!! I'm drafting my letter of intent now. Do you think I should mention my acceptances/interviews and say I would choose Duke over them if accepted?

Thanks Mr. Burns!! I'm drafting my letter of intent now. Do you think I should mention my acceptances/interviews and say I would choose Duke over them if accepted?
So you're writing a letter of intent rather than a letter of interest? I would consider writing a strong letter of interest rather than a letter of intent, since I think it could be considered sort of desperate to make the commitment to a school you haven't interviewed at yet (though I know you did last year). I would personally say that you were extremely impressed last year, and despite your success during this year's cycle, you still feel that Duke is the best fit for you. Then say how/what you would contribute to Duke.

Just my opinion! Best of luck. Feel free to send me your letter if you'd like another opinion on it.

So you're writing a letter of intent rather than a letter of interest? I would consider writing a strong letter of interest rather than a letter of intent, since I think it could be considered sort of desperate to make the commitment to a school you haven't interviewed at yet (though I know you did last year). I would personally say that you were extremely impressed last year, and despite your success during this year's cycle, you still feel that Duke is the best fit for you. Then say how/what you would contribute to Duke.

Just my opinion! Best of luck. Feel free to send me your letter if you'd like another opinion on it.

Thanks so much Mr Burns! I'll PM you my draft when I finish. You have a good point - I will write a letter of interest instead. I was very impressed by Duke last year, but if I write a letter of intent, it would not only sound desperate but it would be unfair to the schools I haven't even visited yet (UCSD, Cornell, Mount Sinai). Who knows? I might discover that Cornell totally rocks my socks and I might end up regretting my letter of intent to Duke. I'll structure my letter of interest like you suggested.

Mr. Burns, I just sent you my letter of interest by PM. Hope it went through. Thanks!!:luck::luck::luck:

Alright! Finished my letter of interest. Many thanks to Mr. Burns for reading my drafts. Sending it out snail mail on Saturday. :luck::luck::luck:

which other school offered you an interview nova? I am also wondering if the stats will haunt us post-interview... is it possible to get a "5" with a great interview but "ok" stats?

No other schools have offered me an interview yet. Just Duke. But I'm with you in wondering whether anyone has insight into how stats come into play post-interview....

hope this will be a good week. i still have a Duke sweatshirt i bought last year when i went to interview. i got jinxed when i wore it pre-acceptance. this time around it's hidden deep in my closet to avoid temptation. :luck::luck::luck:

No other schools have offered me an interview yet. Just Duke. But I'm with you in wondering whether anyone has insight into how stats come into play post-interview....

yup, any insight on this would be great..

Duke fans - introduce yourselves!! We're getting lonely.

I'm a Duke fan! Duke Med is one of my very top choices, though I am really eager to visit and see what impression I get because I worry that with the intense first year it could be a high stress environment?
I'm interviewing next month, but I'd be really interested to hear how current students feel about the average stress level among students (obviously people work hard but does it seem like the majority are burnt out/on edge/struggling to get through on a day to day basis?) and about the community, class unity, etc.
Also, I've heard the medical school is really good at advising and helping students to thrive-- does this seem true to current students?

Wow you guys are all so far ahead of me... I'm still struggling to work on Duke's secondary lol. It's soooo long!

I'm a Duke fan! Duke Med is one of my very top choices, though I am really eager to visit and see what impression I get because I worry that with the intense first year it could be a high stress environment?
I'm interviewing next month, but I'd be really interested to hear how current students feel about the average stress level among students (obviously people work hard but does it seem like the majority are burnt out/on edge/struggling to get through on a day to day basis?) and about the community, class unity, etc.
Also, I've heard the medical school is really good at advising and helping students to thrive-- does this seem true to current students?
I'll give your questions a shot. The biggest point that I would like to emphasize is that medical school is only as stressful as you make it. Obviously, any medical school is going to be stressful from time to time and Duke is no different. But I'd say a good 75% of it depends on how you are...if you tend to be of the type A neurotic faction who needs to get honors or you'll question your self-worth, then first year will be more stressful for you. If you decide to never study and slack off completely, first year will be stressful when you're not passing the tests. If you decide that you're going to do your best, but you're not going to worry about how you do (as long as you pass) or how your friends do, then you'll have a lot more relaxation and fun time. Now, there will be people in your class (or heck, it could be you) that don't have to study that much and still ace every test. They're annoying as hell and we want to punch them sometimes, but whether we like it or not, they exist. And, more often than not, we're even friends with them! It's crucial to never compare yourself to others (but very hard not to do) because all you're going to end up doing is making yourself feel bad. Believe me, I speak from experience. Do your best, go out with your friends the weekends you don't have a test (which my class did a lot of last year), and I promise you'll manage the stress just fine. October-November was the worst 6-7 week stretch in my opinion when you have a test almost every monday, but other than that it's not so bad.

Every class is different, but I'd say class unity in general is quite good. I even feel more unified with my class now that we're in rotations. I'm now getting to know some of the people I didn't know as well beforehand, which is kinda fun. Now granted rotations have made me become a tired, boring loser that would rather go to bed at 11pm than go out (a common complaint, so I hear), but that's besides the point. And I think advising is great and the mental support we get from advisory deans and faculty is amazing.

Anyway, moral of the story is don't sweat this stuff before you need to, and even then, don't sweat it too much :). good luck!

Wow you guys are all so far ahead of me... I'm still struggling to work on Duke's secondary lol. It's soooo long!

im in the same boat snopearl. isnt it due soon though?