Duke vs WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perhapsdocsoon

Reaction score
Hi all! The deadline to choose a school is coming up and I would love to hear some other perspectives!

Duke (Total COA: ~22k/year)
Pros
  • Went to Duke for undergrad and had an amazing time
  • 1 year preclinical and 3rd year research year - potential to do research abroad for a year!!! super exciting
  • True P/F including P/F clinicals
  • Students seem super relaxed & happy
  • Name recognition both in and out of medicine
  • Duke explicitly admits they value their own med students for residency, could be an advantage
  • MSPE letter has no hidden rankings
  • My partner really wants to buy a house in Durham (rent/food are paid for, heh)
Cons
  • Higher COA :(

WashU (Total COA: ~$0/year)
Pros
  • Really enjoyed SLW
  • Full ride, basically getting a living stipend
  • True P/F but you can get distinctions, no AOA
  • Exams are spread out first year, super chill
  • Students seem happy and relaxed
  • Name recognition in medicine
Cons
  • St Louis :/
  • Midwest
  • Midwest again
  • Distinctions?
  • Not a huge sports school (I love a good basketball game!!! super irrelevant i know)
I guess right now the issue is boiling down to take the money and live in a place I'd never want to live in otherwise, or eat some debt and live in a place I know and love. Any advice is appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attend WashU for free and easily match Duke for residency due to your Duke Ugrad connection.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to Duke. Yes, WashU is cheaper. But it isn't much cheaper, and it is abundantly obvious that you absolutely hate St. Louis. You are clearly looking for reasons to not go to WashU. You'll be about $100k or so in debt by the time it's all said and done, but that's half as low as the average med school graduate. Get a house, settle down there, try to stay for residency. This is where you want to be, no need to go somewhere you'll likely be unhappy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to WashU, buy a Duke-UNC game ticket with the extra money you saved and still have some to spare.

I didn't go to WashU, but my brother did, so I'll say this:
  • Have you explored St. Louis? I love Durham as well, but the area around WashU is actually much nicer than most people think.
  • The distinctions at WashU are nothing to worry about. They're not in the clerkships themselves, and a huge percentage of people end up with honors in them anyway.

Go to Duke. Yes, WashU is cheaper. But it isn't much cheaper, and it is abundantly obvious that you absolutely hate St. Louis. You are clearly looking for reasons to not go to WashU. You'll be about $100k or so in debt by the time it's all said and done, but that's half as low as the average med school graduate. Get a house, settle down there, try to stay for residency. This is where you want to be, no need to go somewhere you'll likely be unhappy.
I’m with this poster. Not much beats free, and WashU’s an incredible school BUT $80k is still a steal especially if those non-school factors like your SO are more valuable to you. If I were OP I’d take the small amount of debt to go to Duke and be happier there. But you really can’t go wrong. STL isn’t as bad as people think.

Reactions: 1 user