duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing in MA here either. maybe it takes a while to reach our area?

Or our letters were in the last batch on Thursday/Friday, which can't be good...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not basing my selection solely on the best selection process, I'm just saying that bad impressions can have an impact on decisions. I understand that this is not an official representation of the entire medical school, faculty, students and staff. Perhaps I spoke a little too harshly, and this doesn't mean I'm no longer interested in attending Duke. It's just pretty tough not to be even a little frustrated considering I live a short drive away from NC, was told that absolutely all letters were mailed out on Wednesday, but still haven't heard anything; even one day after a letter should have reached me. I'm not saying that this means Duke is a crappy medical school, rather it's one of the best in the world. I'm just saying that this process, while it may send a good message to those who are initially accepted, does not send as positive of a message to potential waitlisted applicants and other fee-paying applicants who dedicated countless hours to the supplemental application and interviews.

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

So I've been thinking that if I'm lucky enough to get a waitlist spot, calling to confirm that they received your card is a good excuse to call. As is an update, or change of address, etc. You obviously want to have contact to express your desire to get off the waitlist, but it is going to get old for them if you call and say:

"Uh, hi....this is ryandote......yeah, it's me again. Well, I just wanted to call again to say I still want to go to Duke.... okay, thanks, goodbye."

If you actually have a semi-valid reason for calling you probably won't be as irritating. - Obviously, since I haven't gotten in off a waitlist, this is just my $.02

the waitlist letter did not come with a card.

Members don't see this ad :)
the waitlist letter did not come with a card.

Hmm, ok it did last year. Is there anything saying to reply to confirm your spot? Maybe they just got annoyed with all the little cards last year.

Hmm, ok it did last year. Is there anything saying to reply to confirm your spot? Maybe they just got annoyed with all the little cards last year.

In the waitlist letter, they put down a phone number you can call if you want to be taken off the waitlist and have your application withdrawn.

To stay on the waitlist, you can either call that number anyway and confirm your desire to remain on the waitlist. Or you can do nothing and you'll stay on the waitlist anyway. A little confusing :laugh:

got the waitlist letter today :(

I got the 2nd look weekend e-mail, so I guess that means I'm in.

I haven't gotten a chance to confirm that I've received the hard copy of the acceptance, as I'm out of town.

Waitlist. :( :( :(
Think of this as a positive thing. Being put on the waitlist means the next few months gives you a chance to show Duke just how much you want to go there. That is honestly how I felt when I got my waitlist letter, and I would recommend all you waitlistees out there to think of it that way.

That being said, I'm really sorry because I was definitely pulling for you! But seriously, think positively!

No letter in the mail today... arg! No phone call or second look email either, so I'm assuming waitlist/rejection (and praying for the former). :scared:

Anyone who got in not get a second look email?

*starts brainstorming ways to express my infatuation with Duke...*

Waitlist. :( :( :(

Damnit!! I was really pulling for you! Dude, you gotta let them know how bad you want to go to Duke. I know all schools probably say this, but it really means at lot at Duke [or at least I get that vibe].

Think of this as a positive thing. Being put on the waitlist means the next few months gives you a chance to show Duke just how much you want to go there. That is honestly how I felt when I got my waitlist letter, and I would recommend all you waitlistees out there to think of it that way.

That being said, I'm really sorry because I was definitely pulling for you! But seriously, think positively!

Damnit!! I was really pulling for you! Dude, you gotta let them know how bad you want to go to Duke. I know all schools probably say this, but it really means at lot at Duke [or at least I get that vibe].

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It especially sucks just cuz my parents were like pointing out all of he flaws of my application after I got the waitlist letter this afternoon. It's nice to see I can at least have support somewhere from people who actually have a clue how tough the process is. My parents act like it is soooo easy getting into a top 10 med school. Like they are just handing away acceptances to anyone with good MCAT and GPA. It is mostly outrageous cuz my dad is a dean at the undergrad I go to. Unfortunately, I have to stop myself short everytime I just want to scream at him and say "This university is a tier 3 piece of **** and is the reason no one takes my ridonkulous GPA seriously. It is also why my research is in worthless journals and why I have had no chance for good medical experiences. This university is **** and you MADE me come here!!!!!!!! ****!"

Whoa sorry... I just kind of went off there. Ya well I already made a list of professors that I can have send strong additional letters of rec for me. I was also thinking of just copy and pasting all 20+ pages of this thread and sending it to the admissions office and being like I'm Females. Please let me in. I can start the first ever DukeMed pep/school spirit squad. Man... WL sux.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

Valid point.

Got the waitlist as well. My advice to everyone....keep on keepin' on.

This thread has over 1,000 posts... they're going to close it soon.

Anyone know if Waitlists can attend second look? No email on the subject or indication in the letter.

Wait listed in Cincinnati...

does anyone get the feeling that this year is more competitive than ever?

No one's posted a rejection yet... (and mdapps doesn't let you search for rejections). I'm wondering if the rejections were actually sent after the waitlists? (Or maybe the waitlist is huge?)

My freak-out fest continues...

No one's posted a rejection yet... (and mdapps doesn't let you search for rejections). I'm wondering if the rejections were actually sent after the waitlists? (Or maybe the waitlist is huge?)

My freak-out fest continues...

Someone posted a couple of pages back that they had received a rejection. And if you go to mdapps and click on "select school" you can look at "interviewed, not accepted". There are a couple in there that have rejections listed.

Someone posted a couple of pages back that they had received a rejection. And if you go to mdapps and click on "select school" you can look at "interviewed, not accepted". There are a couple in there that have rejections listed.

I stand corrected!

Good tip re mdapps--I found at least 2 folks rejected post-interview.

Also, I don't want to give anyone false hope since I am not involved in admissions and have no idea what's going on, BUT my guess is that the last batch of letters to go out was a waitlist batch, not a rejection batch. Why? Because they probably already knew who they were going to accept for sure and reject for sure - those probably went out first. The final decisions probably came down to the students that interviewed in the last couple of weeks and the students that were close to being accepted. Therefore, those would be the last letters that went out, because those would be the final decisions that were made.

Again, this is just speculation...

Has anyone received NOTHING still? I live in MA and still haven't received anything from Duke. I hate waiting for a rejection or waitlist. Not fun.

:(

Has anyone received NOTHING still? I live in MA and still haven't received anything from Duke. I hate waiting for a rejection or waitlist. Not fun.

I haven't recieved anything either, and I am in MA as well. I think there were a couple of other people from MA who said they haven't heard anything either.

I have yet to hear anying in Maine....

I don't know if this makes a differnce to anyone, but I finally got my acceptance letter today (after finding out from the 2nd look email) and it was in a plain, white normal sized envelope...

Nothing here -- changed my PAS address from TX to MA in midstream, but nothing in either place so far.

Of course, our mail didn't come at all yesterday, and neither did our neighbor's, so for all I know it's lost in the bottom of a mail truck somewhere.

I've been reading this thread for a long time now, so I thought I'd finally post...but I'm in the same boat...nothing in Seattle :(

Duke Stats for Class of 2011

Acceptances: 19 (AnEyeLikeMars, sister of kmpedro, urmd2007, JohnMadden, new_doc, BetterNBest, HumbleMD, thebeast, Natytilly, EmbellisMaVie, Grace2002, Stolenspatulas, yummysushi, WitchDoctor, dreamersmelody, CaramelDlie, yomama'sdoctor, gopherthegold, Big XII Fanatic)

Waitlists: many

SDN Member in charge of Duke Admissions: RWallace :cool:

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey I have a question for all of yall. I know I will be staying on this thread until I start med school next year (whether I get into Duke or not cuz I'll be hopelessly waiting to get off the waitlist). Do yall who are also staying on this thread want you names put on the waitlist so that we can start adding them to acceptances come May or how do yall want to do it. We can have just a number. Or a number with names. Whatever is cool with me. If you want to be included, let me know and I can do it... or you can do it. Either way, let's decide. The journey to Durham continues... :luck: :love: :luck:

I would imagine a bunch will go out together shortly after May 15th (for those who declined their acceptances) and then they'll trickle out thereafter (for acceptance-holding people who get in off other waitlists and for waitlisted people who decline the spots they're offered).

Acceptances: 19 (AnEyeLikeMars, sister of kmpedro, urmd2007, JohnMadden, new_doc, BetterNBest, HumbleMD, thebeast, Natytilly, EmbellisMaVie, Grace2002, Stolenspatulas, yummysushi, WitchDoctor, dreamersmelody, CaramelDlie, yomama'sdoctor, gopherthegold, Big XII Fanatic)

Waitlists: many

Hey I have a question for all of yall. I know I will be staying on this thread until I start med school next year (whether I get into Duke or not cuz I'll be hopelessly waiting to get off the waitlist). Do yall who are also staying on this thread want you names put on the waitlist so that we can start adding them to acceptances come May or how do yall want to do it. We can have just a number. Or a number with names. Whatever is cool with me. If you want to be included, let me know and I can do it... or you can do it. Either way, let's decide. The journey to Durham continues... :luck: :love: :luck:

Hey, just wanted to make sure yall saw this part of the post. I can see how you might just skip over it or something.

Hey ppl,

Let's get some rousing Duke discussions going today cuz I have to leave for spring break tomorrow and I doubt I can be on sdn during that time. Holla!

Hey ppl,

Let's get some rousing Duke discussions going today cuz I have to leave for spring break tomorrow and I doubt I can be on sdn during that time. Holla!

Ha, I missed my letter arriving due to spring break and got back after the campus mailroom had closed for the weekend. Hooray for second look invite emails though!

Enjoy your vacation!

Hey everyone,
So this is mainly for current students but when do you usually see the first movements in the duke waitlist? is it not until may 15th or do you see some before then? Just wondering because i would think that some spots should free up once schools like Harvard, upenn, and stanford (etc) send out their acceptance notices...I am prepared to wait until after may 15th but that would rock if the waitlist starts rolling before then.

Ha, I missed my letter arriving due to spring break and got back after the campus mailroom had closed for the weekend. Hooray for second look invite emails though!

Enjoy your vacation!

Congrats! I guess that frisbee was highly auspicious... what's going to happen to it now?

Hey everyone,
So this is mainly for current students but when do you usually see the first movements in the duke waitlist? is it not until may 15th or do you see some before then? Just wondering because i would think that some spots should free up once schools like Harvard, upenn, and stanford (etc) send out their acceptance notices...I am prepared to wait until after may 15th but that would rock if the waitlist starts rolling before then.
There is one kid from my class who got taken off the waitlist a little before May 16th...I want to say it was like May 8th or so. But this is the only instance of this I know of. So I would expect to wait until mid-May for waitlist movement to begin.

No letter in the mail today... arg! No phone call or second look email either, so I'm assuming waitlist/rejection (and praying for the former). :scared:

Same here for me. Though I've been out of town this weekend without checking my email until late last night. My email is down so I can't confirm that I didn't get the email.

Acceptances: 20 (AnEyeLikeMars, sister of kmpedro, urmd2007, JohnMadden, new_doc, BetterNBest, HumbleMD, thebeast, Natytilly, EmbellisMaVie, Grace2002, Stolenspatulas, yummysushi, WitchDoctor, dreamersmelody, CaramelDlie, yomama'sdoctor, gopherthegold, Big XII Fanatic, Dr Durden)

People who want to desperately come off the WAITLIST: FemalesCANTDriv

My email's back and I didn't get the email. Time to assume waitlist/rejection....

People who vehemently want to come off the WAITLIST: FemalesCANTDriv, husky0684

Desperate is such an ugly word...:cool:

here's to a few more months of counting down...no need to keep an actual countdown this time around..

I received the manila packet yesterday, but still haven't heard anything (via e-mail or o/w) about 2nd Look. So hopefully there's still a chance for those yet to hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.