duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aerodivya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know when duke makes their decision?

Members don't see this ad.

think it's early march when they send out letters

Letters go out March 1st but I think they might also possibly call those people that are accepted in addition to sending a letter. Does anyone know for certain about Duke calling to give notice of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be later than March 1. They used to call, but they did not call last year. I am not sure if they will call this year. The letter for the past few years has been a big envelope addressed to [The Future] Dr. So-and-So. Last year the letters went out mid-March, but it is possible that it will be later this year.

It will be later than March 1. They used to call, but they did not call last year. I am not sure if they will call this year. The letter for the past few years has been a big envelope addressed to [The Future] Dr. So-and-So. Last year the letters went out mid-March, but it is possible that it will be later this year.

Dr. Armstrong did say March 1st on interview day for letters of acceptance being mailed out but maybe she just meant march...do you think it will be later since the application cycle was extended due to the technical difficulties this year?

Dr. Armstrong did say March 1st on interview day for letters of acceptance being mailed out but maybe she just meant march...do you think it will be later since the application cycle was extended due to the technical difficulties this year?

I also recall the March 1st date (I remembered because I'll be out of the country). I don't think that the date got pushed back, because it seemed like they were getting things on track as of November, so I doubt they'd say one thing at one point. Off topic, but does anyone remember when Penn will be notifying for MD (not MD/PhD). I thought it was March 5th, but was hearing March 19th?

I stand corrected on the date if the adm. office told you guys that it would be March 1. I was just going off last year.

I also recall the March 1st date (I remembered because I'll be out of the country). I don't think that the date got pushed back, because it seemed like they were getting things on track as of November, so I doubt they'd say one thing at one point. Off topic, but does anyone remember when Penn will be notifying for MD (not MD/PhD). I thought it was March 5th, but was hearing March 19th?

Penn's status page says "all admissions decisions will be announced during the week of March 19th". I seem to remember hearing it would be via a page update.

I also was told the March 1st date during my Duke interview. I'd be surprised if that was to imply "sometime in the month of March".

I had an interview few weeks ago, but my online account still shows the "Interview Scheduled" page that you get after scheduling the interview. Is everyone else getting the same thing? My online account had some problems early on, so I just want to check if this is another system error.

Thanks.

On the Duke Personal Account site, they state:

To insure your privacy and to protect the integrity of the admission process, no decisions will be transmitted over the telephone or through e-mail at any time or under any circumstances.

Guess we shouldn't expect any calls....

On the Duke Personal Account site, they state:

To insure your privacy and to protect the integrity of the admission process, no decisions will be transmitted over the telephone or through e-mail at any time or under any circumstances.

Guess we shouldn't expect any calls....

Good to know about the phone call! just to get more of a consensus, do you also remember the ADCOM telling you that decision letters would go out on March 1st on your interview day with Duke?

On another note, here is a link to an interview with Dr. Brenda Armstrong that is a few years old but she provides some insight into duke's admissions process and how your medical school choice can factor into your residency placement. Dr. Armstrong was the most amazing admissions director I have met so far, did others get a similar great impression of her?

http://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_page=3&ch_id=619&article_id=27691073&cat_id=3232

Hi

I just scheduled an interview with Duke couple days ago. The last interview date on the calendar was March 2nd. If the decision goes out on March 1st, does that mean people who interview on that last date are on wait list?

:confused:

Hi

I just scheduled an interview with Duke couple days ago. The last interview date on the calendar was March 2nd. If the decision goes out on March 1st, does that mean people who interview on that last date are on wait list?

Probably. There's a reason why people try to apply and interview early...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I actually highly doubt it. Duke is non-rolling. Like dookter said, last year the letters went out a little late, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happens this year too. I could be wrong, but if you guys really want to know, maybe you should call the admissions office. It is likely that they will go out in early March though - everyone's application is ranked after they interview, so when interviews are over they just have to send out acceptances to the applicants that have the highest scores.

I agree with the previous post. Duke is non-rolling and each candidate is given equal consideration no matter when you interview. The admissions director did say march 1st on my particular interview day but if the last interview day is march 2nd then the letters probably go out a few days later. The march 1st thing is by no means absolute and it is not printed anywhere that I can find. Good luck with the interview!

We were told the letters would go out sometime between the 4th and the 9th, I believe.

Probably. There's a reason why people try to apply and interview early...

I doubt this is true. I have never heard of Duke interviewing people only to put them on the waitlist.

i called. it should be around the second week of march.
duke is such a wonderful wonderful school; i don't know how i'm going to get through a whole month more of waiting

i called. it should be around the second week of march.
duke is such a wonderful wonderful school; i don't know how i'm going to get through a whole month more of waiting

DITTO... The wait is killing me! thanks for calling! one more month ughh...good luck!

Duke was LOVELY! I really loved the curriculum. Does anyone know what the odds are after the interview?? First year is probably the most intense out of all medical schools in the US (despite their denial), third-year thing is SOOOO awesome. So is this going to be the official duke thread? I am jealous of those Mayo people having their own thread.

I know it is my top choice by far! like you said the curriculum is unmatched as far as integrating research and dual degree opportunities. It is one of the very few research based medical schools that actually has a research based medical education..keep the thread alive throughout this month, it takes the sting off of waiting...good luck everyone!

I know it is my top choice by far! like you said the curriculum is unmatched as far as integrating research and dual degree opportunities. It is one of the very few research based medical schools that actually has a research based medical education..keep the thread alive throughout this month, it takes the sting off of waiting...good luck everyone!

heck yes!
:laugh: go blue devils and JJ Redick

First year is probably the most intense out of all medical schools in the US (despite their denial)

I am almost 100% positive that this isn't true. I've only attended one school [Duke], but I know people at other schools who seem to have it as bad or worse than we do. The first year is made less stressful by a few things: we cut material out and we lengthen the year. We also have H/P/F rather than A-F, which makes it a little less stressful. Seriously, more time to learn material just means they make you learn more material. There will be exceptions [I have heard year 1 at WashU is super chill since it is all P/F and I guess they don't really pile it on]. You'd think learning more material might be better, but sometimes I really question how valuable it is to memorize a bunch of useless factoids. Some things are important; others are not.

I'm not denying that Duke has an intense first year, but to say that it is the most intense first year possible is definitely stretching it. Maybe other Duke students would like to chime in with their opinions, but I have actually been relieved at how easy some things have been. My undergrad classes made me learn a LOT more at times. Medical school is hard no matter where you attend. Duke's curriculum is easily something you can handle and is definitely not something you should worry about.

I'm not denying that Duke has an intense first year, but to say that it is the most intense first year possible is definitely stretching it. Maybe other Duke students would like to chime in with their opinions, but I have actually been relieved at how easy some things have been.
I'll be the first to agree...and disagree. Block 2 was hell to me. One test every week for most of the block definitely burned me out and made me so sick of not having any true days off. But besides block 2, I would agree with what Dookter said. I actually slack off more than I should during the week, so my weekends typically are pretty study-filled but the week itself is relatively chill (except the week before the actual test...then I actually have to study a few hours everyday). But I would definitely agree with the fact that we cut out a lot of the useless stuff that you'll either never have to know or you'll have to relearn for the boards anyway. Duke is awesome...everyone should come here :)

ok ill come :D

byong soo... i think u have a good idea with the official duke thread being here... we can talk about how much we love duke and how its soooooo much cooler than mayo and then we can all celebrate together if we get admitted... please adcom let me in :D

i love you....

really i do.....

adcom???? are u listening....?

I'll just chime in to keep the thread going. I too am nervously waiting to hear back from Duke!!! Hmmm... what if I propose the following to the admissions people: If you let me in, I'll name my first born "Duke"!!! Ha. Good luck everyone!

byong soo... i think u have a good idea with the official duke thread being here... we can talk about how much we love duke and how its soooooo much cooler than mayo and then we can all celebrate together if we get admitted... please adcom let me in :D

i love you....

really i do.....

I hate to break it to you, but NO ONE in North Carolina can drive. Especially when it snows.

I hate to break it to you, but NO ONE in North Carolina can drive. Especially when it snows.

LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

... i hope we can become classmates at duke and talk about freakin dumb ppl who cant drive :smuggrin:

oh okay. yea i completely forgot the fact that Duke cuts out many materials to condense it. So I guess the first year probably isn't as intense as I imagined it out to be- whew. okay i guess everything is perfect then. yay.

take me please!

i love you....

really i do.....

yes!! i don't want to start a war but I would like to believe that Duke is way cooler than Mayo. :D

There are many excellent research-based medical schools, but I think Duke's curriculum is the one that accomodates research training the most. It's more flexible than any other schools (in terms of having a year basically to study whatever you want).

FemalesCANTDriv, when was your interview??
And I alrdy asked this before, but does anyone know how many interviewed and accepted?

I think they interview ~800-1000 and accept close to 200 to fill up a class of 100.

"yes!! i don't want to start a war but I would like to believe that Duke is way cooler than Mayo."

- haha I don't want to start a war either but....I agree! haha not so much necessarily "better" than Mayo, but I feel like Duke Med is often not given the credit it deserves. It consistently ranks as one of the top 10 medical schools in the country in both primary care and research, it has research funding up there with harvard and hopkins and a newly awarded global health research fund that is unmatched, along with the most dual degree programs offered by any medical school, and Duke ranks as one of the best hospital systems in the country in an array of categories. Duke seems to get looked over for places like Yale and Cornell which are great schools as well, but Duke deserves its spot in the top 10 as much as any northern/west coast school. Ok enough cheerleading for duke haha

oh gosh its nice to hear there are other people as excited. ever since interviewing, i can't get duke out of my mind. i was pleasantly surprised by durham. i had heard bad things but after actually visiting, i thought it was really beautiful. additionally, the class seems to be pretty tight which is awesome.
in terms of the high stress thing, i agree that the HPF system will make things much better.
in terms of mayo... no contest!

ya i would have to agree whole heartedly with everything that has been said on here... duke rules and that's all there is to it. i was really annoyed on my interview day by ppl who were talking about how they didnt like duke really or the curriculum as if coming to the interview was some chore for them... "well i have had interviews at harvard, columbia, washu, blah, blah, blah... i dont know if i like duke's curriculum that much."

im thinking "wtf are you here for jacka$$! and those ppl better not get accepted over me cuz thats some BS!"

anyway... BYONG SOO, i interviewed on 11/30.... when was ures? anyone else interview on 11/30... i know that humblemd and pemberley did.

"yes!! i don't want to start a war but I would like to believe that Duke is way cooler than Mayo."

- haha I don't want to start a war either but....I agree! haha not so much necessarily "better" than Mayo, but I feel like Duke Med is often not given the credit it deserves. It consistently ranks as one of the top 10 medical schools in the country in both primary care and research, it has research funding up there with harvard and hopkins and a newly awarded global health research fund that is unmatched, along with the most dual degree programs offered by any medical school, and Duke ranks as one of the best hospital systems in the country in an array of categories. Duke seems to get looked over for places like Yale and Cornell which are great schools as well, but Duke deserves its spot in the top 10 as much as any northern/west coast school. Ok enough cheerleading for duke haha

It's funny, I did not realize that Duke did get overlooked by anyone. The school is one of the best, the research is some of the best, the hospital system is one of the best, etc etc etc. And money is oozing out of the walls when it comes to research, etc. I will say, however, that people seem to write Duke off for other reasons:

1. It's in Durham, NC--Seriously, most people that end up at Duke have to move here from other places. Many of these really successful kids are coming from places like California or the NE [Ivy]. The thought of moving to Durham doesn't appeal to everyone. I personally love it here for many reasons, but someone from New York might not feel the same way. I'm actually glad about this b/c it means I have a better chance of staying in my beloved warm weather for residency.

2. The secondary application is long-- Duke is obviously not the only good school out there. However, Duke does have one of the most extensive secondary applications. In the heat of application season while many of the applicants are also in school, volunteering, saving third world countries from malaria, etc., a super long secondary essay is not appealing.

3. Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF-- Being one of the top schools, Duke will invariably accept some [possibly many, who knows?] of the same students as Harvard, Hopkins, and UCSF. People from the West coast will choose UCSF 99% of the time probably. Most people will go to Harvard + Hopkins over Duke simply b/c they are Harvard/Hopkins and are located in the cold NE where for some reason smart people like to live [although obviously some people do turn these schools down for other schools like Duke for curriculum reasons, etc.].

So basically Duke gets the respect it deserves in the most important areas, but some people aren't crazy about some of the other aspects...

I really liked Duke as well. It seems like the 3rd year free is an awesome opportunity that you don't get at any other school.

hey FemalesCANTDriv, I interviewed on Jan 19. And I had a great time there too. Yea, I know- I totally understand what you mean about those arrogant arses. Oh well, I guess you can't avoid them. I sure hope they don't take up our acceptances.

hey guys,

I am so excited that someone started this thread. I was accepted to Duke last year but decided to defer for a year. So given my financial package is all set, i will be starting at Duke this fall (fingers crossed). As far as I recall, i think Duke had one of the most organized interview days among all the schools i interviewed at and I was very impressed by everything i saw. I sincerely hope all of you who really want to go to Duke get accepted and chose to go to Duke so that we can all be classmates:) I can't wait to start school again and am really excited. would love to get to know you all over the next one month. All the best to you all. Don't give up on the wait. It's all worth it at the end:)

hey guys,

I am so excited that someone started this thread. I was accepted to Duke last year but decided to defer for a year. So given my financial package is all set, i will be starting at Duke this fall (fingers crossed). As far as I recall, i think Duke had one of the most organized interview days among all the schools i interviewed at and I was very impressed by everything i saw. I sincerely hope all of you who really want to go to Duke get accepted and chose to go to Duke so that we can all be classmates:) I can't wait to start school again and am really excited. would love to get to know you all over the next one month. All the best to you all. Don't give up on the wait. It's all worth it at the end:)

:love: nice to meet you! you just made everyone on this thread uber jealous! what are you doing for the year? Was it difficult to get this year deferred? Congrats!!

ya i would have to agree whole heartedly with everything that has been said on here... duke rules and that's all there is to it. i was really annoyed on my interview day by ppl who were talking about how they didnt like duke really or the curriculum as if coming to the interview was some chore for them... "well i have had interviews at harvard, columbia, washu, blah, blah, blah... i dont know if i like duke's curriculum that much."

im thinking "wtf are you here for jacka$$! and those ppl better not get accepted over me cuz thats some BS!"

anyway... BYONG SOO, i interviewed on 11/30.... when was ures? anyone else interview on 11/30... i know that humblemd and pemberley did.

I was there 11/30 - loved the place. Definitely my top choice.

I have offday from work and spending my afternoon on SDN. Sad- I know.
But I am so excited that this thread is rolling!
Does anyone have a link to Duke's recent matchlist?

I was there 11/30 - loved the place. Definitely my top choice.

ryandote... we were there the same day huh??? who are u? what school do u go to? did you also hate the ppl who were talking isht bout duke?

hey guys,

cardiologist... um... do u realize you are taking one spot... LOL. hope to see you next year! :thumbup:

It would be better if it was actually "free" :laugh:

Many student get research funding, so third year could actually be free...just a thought for the future....

:love: nice to meet you! you just made everyone on this thread uber jealous! what are you doing for the year? Was it difficult to get this year deferred? Congrats!!

hey byong so...I am super happy to meet you all too. I can totally undersatnd what you guys r feeling. I was there just a few months back:) actually getting the deferral wasn't hard at all. Infact Duke was pretty accomodating given i had some financial reasons. I am currently working as a research tech in NY and trying to save as much as i can for med school;)Given i will miss living in the BIG apple, yet I can't wait to start school. It's funny how working for a yr full time made me realise how much i miss being at school. Hope you all r enjoying ur time before next fall.

I have offday from work and spending my afternoon on SDN. Sad- I know.
But I am so excited that this thread is rolling!
Does anyone have a link to Duke's recent matchlist?

I don't have a link to it, but it is posted upstairs outside our labs. Obviously, this doesn't do much for you, but it means that I did take a look at it. We had like 33 people match at Duke last year and at least 5 at Harvard. I do not remember much else. I only remember looking at the list and realizing there was basically not a single program on the list that I wouldn't be happy attending...

wow. 33 Duke and 5 Harvard... out of 100 people. That's pretty sick.

I know I shouldn't concern myself with this at this point, but I was wondering how the waitlist movement is for Duke. Dookter and Cadiologist, did you both get in to Duke straight or off the waitlist. If so, when? I am just wondering if I get on the waitlist, if there might be a hope to wait till June to get off the list. Thanks!!

hey Dookter,

Since u are currently at Duke, why don't you tell us more about ur experience so far...basic stuffs... like how ur classmates r like. Is it super competitive or r ppl usually nice to each other and helpful...also about the housing??? since Duke doesn't have first year dorms...do all the students have cars? is it easy to get around without one. and also how do you guys usually divide your studytime during the first year given the tight schedule .

I know some of these are basic questions that were covered during interviews, but i think i was so focused on the interview, i didn;t really take much time to think about these things. so would you mind giving us the inside scoop? pretty much things that you wish someone told you before you started. I am sure all of us wud benefit from it. Thanks in advance:)

wow. 33 Duke and 5 Harvard... out of 100 people. That's pretty sick.

I know I shouldn't concern myself with this at this point, but I was wondering how the waitlist movement is for Duke. Dookter and Cadiologist, did you both get in to Duke straight or off the waitlist. If so, when? I am just wondering if I get on the waitlist, if there might be a hope to wait till June to get off the list. Thanks!!

I got in in March [not off the waitlist]. I do know that a lot of people do get in off the waitlist.

Will answer questions in next post at some point soon....off to some store to look at Wedding invitations with fiance....

Status
Not open for further replies.