Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And isn't it supposed to be on the 11th? I guess they got the day of the week right, but the wrong date.

Members don't see this ad.

And isn't it supposed to be on the 11th? I guess they got the day of the week right, but the wrong date.

I was under the impression it was the 11th, which is what it says somewhere on the website. I think someone just mixed up the 5th because I would guess that that day is being thrown around a lot. I wonder if this means that people's family will be showing up at 3:00 during the orientation.

Question. For those who are doing PIL, how long did it take to hear back after submitting the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi! i just got accepted a few days ago. it's crunch time to look for housing. any females lookin for a roommate?

hi! i just got accepted a few days ago. it's crunch time to look for housing. any females lookin for a roommate?

Kee, better late than never- right? Congratulations!
If you're looking for female roomates I would try checking out the facebook group page for DUCoM 2012. There's a few females on there still looking for roomates.
Congrats to you again and happy 4th to everyone!:D

I was wondering if anyone knows when the orientation schedule is going to be available. I looked at last years. Definitely curious about ours.

Last edited:
Hey all,

2nd year here. Anyone still looking for a roommate? I have a room available right across the queen lane campus, $480/month. Email me at [email protected] or PM.

Also, I can answer any questions one may have about first year.

I was told the scrubs pretty big so perhaps a size lower. I am not sure if they are the same company but you can try on a pair at the book store

2 guys have a room available ~3 blocks from school. The room has a private bathroom, walk-in closet, and lots of parking with security.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Alright, so I believe everyone here received the email for white coat of the 5 people limit. However, I still have family that I would prefer not to exclude. So, if anyone is willing to allow me to purchase your unused tickets from you I would be very thankful. I would give $5-10 extra for your trouble b/c I know it's a bit of a hassle. If anyone is willing send me a PM and I'll give you cash for it. Thanks a bunch classmates!

As far as the scrubs go, they do run big and loose so a size smaller may be your best bet. I like mediums even though I'm an athletic guy. My two cents.

WOOT just got accepted (pulled from the special program applicants waitlist)

:D:D:D:D:D

I imagine the next few weeks are going to be one hell of a whirlwind considering I just got a phone call today and orientation starts August 5.

Anyone who can maybe give me a heads up with regard to anything (dates, times, events, anything really) would be much loved as I can only imagine the amount of mail and forms and everything else I have to do to catch up with all of you.

Also, I have been in center city phila for the last two years so if anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask.

I can't freaking believe that I am in. :hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody else having trouble with the business cards?

Is anybody else having trouble with the business cards?

Yeah. sheet says order them now, page says can't order them yet. I'm leaving for vacation until after the 19th (deadline?), so I hope I can do it when I get back. Meant to look into it.

Also, the link to the background check needs an extra w to be added to the www.

Alright, so I believe everyone here received the email for white coat of the 5 people limit. However, I still have family that I would prefer not to exclude. So, if anyone is willing to allow me to purchase your unused tickets from you I would be very thankful. I would give $5-10 extra for your trouble b/c I know it's a bit of a hassle. If anyone is willing send me a PM and I'll give you cash for it. Thanks a bunch classmates!

As far as the scrubs go, they do run big and loose so a size smaller may be your best bet. I like mediums even though I'm an athletic guy. My two cents.

how can you do that? i thought the invite specifically said unused tickets cannot go towards other students?

A few questions since I also recently got accepted.. these may have been answered somewhere but I can't seem to find where they were addressed.. I've tried calling the financial aid office but no one picks up and their e-mail responses have just been giving me the run around..

-- How exactly does the bill payment work? I got an e-mail that my bill for 22,000 is due on 8/7.. but I don't think I'll have my loan by then.. :confused:
-- Does anyones Drexelone account say that they haven't fulfilled their Perkins MPN even though they have?
-- Anyone have any idea what books we should have or where to look for suggested books?
-- I went to the bookstore to get fitted for my lab coat and the lady said that one of the professors has already given reading assignments for the summer.. anyone know what we should be reading?

A few questions since I also recently got accepted.. these may have been answered somewhere but I can't seem to find where they were addressed.. I've tried calling the financial aid office but no one picks up and their e-mail responses have just been giving me the run around..

-- How exactly does the bill payment work? I got an e-mail that my bill for 22,000 is due on 8/7.. but I don't think I'll have my loan by then.. :confused:
-- Does anyones Drexelone account say that they haven't fulfilled their Perkins MPN even though they have?
-- Anyone have any idea what books we should have or where to look for suggested books?
-- I went to the bookstore to get fitted for my lab coat and the lady said that one of the professors has already given reading assignments for the summer.. anyone know what we should be reading?

congrats on the acceptance!

call the financial aid office for that info (im not really sure)

but this link: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2012/

should have the answers to everything youre looking for. the reading assignment is in the letter from the microanatomy professor (right hand column)...its the first three chapters of the histology textbook, youll have enough time prolly to tackle that during orientation.

So, briefly. Is anyone bringing s/os to any of the orientation events? I was debating the moshulu ($60:eek:) and the welcome back party. Any comments?

The business card page is up and running

Anyone apply for Discover to be their lender? According to Discover, they are an approved lender for Drexel but I called Drexel and she said no.. Anyone else try to use Discover?

Anyone apply for Discover to be their lender? According to Discover, they are an approved lender for Drexel but I called Drexel and she said no.. Anyone else try to use Discover?

Discover may not be on Drexel's preferred lender list, but so long as they are willing to give you student loans, they should be fine. don't hold me to it, but that's my 2cents.

I just had a quick question, I'll be renting a room from a lady who lives in East Falls and she doesn't have internet so I have to set that all up on my own so I wanted to know if anyone knew how difficult it was to set that up, how costly it would be, and who I would need to call to make arrangements? Thanks

I just had a quick question, I'll be renting a room from a lady who lives in East Falls and she doesn't have internet so I have to set that all up on my own so I wanted to know if anyone knew how difficult it was to set that up, how costly it would be, and who I would need to call to make arrangements? Thanks

First, do you know what service you're getting? DSL or cable for internet? If it's DSL I believe verizon is the primary choice in most areas. You can check out their website to see if DSL is available in the area where you'll be at. If cable, then pretty much if there's a cable at your place you know it's available (usually comcast). For setup, it doesn't take that much. They send you the hardware and a CD for either type of internet, and the CD pretty much self loads itself and directs you how to proceed (along with some basic illustrated steps on how to get connected).
Viola, you're done.

You'll have to check out the websites and specials the providers carry to determine prices. I would suggest not getting more than you need. I use my cell for everything and don't bother with a local phone #- but that's just me.

See you really soon everyone!!!

Comcast is probably the way to go. DSL is slow. I have every cable channel plus HBO, Showtime, Starz with all the on demands, and high speed internet and my bill is $110 a month ($80 for the cable and $30 for the internet).

Hey guys,

I'm a former student from Drexel COM and my friend is looking for someone to take over the lease on her apartment. Its an amazing FULLY furnished apartment, all you would need to do is bring yourself, your clothes, and (if you want) a roommate to split the rent($1309). Her lease goes until next February and at that point if you wanted to renew the lease you could do so. It is only a few blocks away from Drexel's New College Building (where all of the IMS, MSP, DPMS, and PMED classes are taken) and there is a free shuttle that goes from the apartment to the New College Building/Hahnemann Hospital and Drexel COM every half hour, but it's close enough to walk if you would rather walk instead. A lot of people have been interested in her place, but she said she will give it to whoever passes the credit check and puts a deposit down first. If you are interested contact Katty, [email protected] for more details! Give it a shot and see what happens :)

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted today and while excited, (jumping off the walls excited,) I have no idea where I am going to live. Soooo, if anyone needs a female roommate please let me know. Also, does anyone know where the best places to live are, I want to live in a nice area but close to either a shuttle or a subway so I can get to classes easily. Thanks!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:confused:

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted today and while excited, (jumping off the walls excited,) I have no idea where I am going to live. Soooo, if anyone needs a female roommate please let me know. Also, does anyone know where the best places to live are, I want to live in a nice area but close to either a shuttle or a subway so I can get to classes easily. Thanks!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:confused:

Congrats and welcome to the class! Most people seem to live in East Falls (where Drexel Med is located) or Manayunk/Roxborough. Some also live in Center City and drive/take the train up. There are also plenty of apartments off of City Ave. across the Schuylkill from East Falls (towards PCOM). Each location has their pluses and minuses.

If you can't find a roommate with a place, these would be good spots to check out.

Read my post by scrolling up if you want a place to live. If you get a roommate it would not be expensive at all. Med students live in that building as well.

Hi Tennispro, your name caught my attention. I already have a place in manayunk and was wondering about your tennis. Do you play often.

Katie

Hello,

I will be a third year medical student at Drexel coming up in July. If anyone is looking for room, starting in August, I have an brand new apartment near Manayunk. It is about 10 minutes from school so you would need a car. Pictures along with ameneties can be found on http://theglenapartments.net/shawmont/features_amenities.htm Some amenities are plenty of free parking, stainless steel appliances, dishwasher, washer/dryer in unit, fitness facility, private bathroom, and fully furnished kitchen, dining, and living room. Rent is $750 and the lease is for a year. PM if your interested or would like more information

hey all,

just got accepted last week (boy, was that waitlist a killer!)... i'm trying to get as much stuff done as quickly as possible. question for you -- i'm having trouble signing up online for the health insurance drexel offers. when i put my drexel ID number in, it says that it doesn't recognize that number. i tried my amcas id, my ssn, and still nothing. any ideas?

me again. sorry if i'm being a pain, but i'm getting such a late start!

question - i got fitted for the white coat in the bookstore, and i gave them my phone number, but i never got the information as to when/how we can pick up the coats. i'm assuming they will call us when it's ready? the invitation says that we should wear the white coats to the ceremony, so we'd have to get it before hand, right?

First of all, saqrfaraj thanks for your advice. :) I am still having trouble finding a place and if anyone needs a roommate just email me at [email protected].

sassieefrass

hey all,

just got accepted last week (boy, was that waitlist a killer!)... i'm trying to get as much stuff done as quickly as possible. question for you -- i'm having trouble signing up online for the health insurance drexel offers. when i put my drexel ID number in, it says that it doesn't recognize that number. i tried my amcas id, my ssn, and still nothing. any ideas?

I was having trouble signing up for health insurance as well. I called Student Affairs and Eric Soto told me that they may not have inputted the first-year's ID numbers yet. So don't worry about it.

EDIT: I tried the health insurance thing this morning and it works now.

me again. sorry if i'm being a pain, but i'm getting such a late start!

question - i got fitted for the white coat in the bookstore, and i gave them my phone number, but i never got the information as to when/how we can pick up the coats. i'm assuming they will call us when it's ready? the invitation says that we should wear the white coats to the ceremony, so we'd have to get it before hand, right?

You'll get your white coat sometime during orientation, and the White Coat Ceremony isn't until the 11th (first day of classes for IFM).

I was having trouble signing up for health insurance as well. I called Student Affairs and Eric Soto told me that they may not have inputted the first-year's ID numbers yet. So don't worry about it.

EDIT: I tried the health insurance thing this morning and it works now.

You'll get your white coat sometime during orientation, and the White Coat Ceremony isn't until the 11th (first day of classes for IFM).

cool, thanks saqrfaraj!

Hey, I don't know if its been pointed out, but you can actually access the survival guide if you go to the orientation page for 2011, its the same one as the link that doesn't work on our page. Just change the year in the url and you're golden.

More on the health insurance, has anyone actually received a card yet. I'm scheduled to start 8/1, got a confirmation email, and it's on my tuition bill, but that's it. At this point I'm wondering whether I should be patient or follow up.

Hey, if anybody has an extra ticket to go see the phillies game let me know, my friend just decided to come for the weekend to see the white coat ceremony and I don't want to leave her at home.

More on the health insurance, has anyone actually received a card yet. I'm scheduled to start 8/1, got a confirmation email, and it's on my tuition bill, but that's it. At this point I'm wondering whether I should be patient or follow up.

The card will come from The Chickering Group. I would be patient, but if you want to call, their number is 1-877-409-7361.

Hey, if anybody has an extra ticket to go see the phillies game let me know, my friend just decided to come for the weekend to see the white coat ceremony and I don't want to leave her at home.

Get in touch with Adam Gitlin for an extra ticket. We got an email saying there were extras, so he should be able to hook you up. You can reach him at the student affairs number or via Shay Myers.

Hey, whats up guys? Does anyone know if we can park on campus Tuesday without the pass? I don't have time to go in before Tuesday and get my parking pass. Thanks!

Hey, whats up guys? Does anyone know if we can park on campus Tuesday without the pass? I don't have time to go in before Tuesday and get my parking pass. Thanks!

That's a good question. I was up at Drexel on Monday hoping to snag a parking pass but was told it was too early and that they wouldn't have them available until next week.

That's a good question. I was up at Drexel on Monday hoping to snag a parking pass but was told it was too early and that they wouldn't have them available until next week.

I am doing PIL and this was in the e-mail they sent me regarding orientation:

We have arranged parking for you. Please come to the Main Entrance of the Queen Lane Campus. Look for the Security Officer and identify yourself as attending the PIL Orientation. You will then be given access to the parking
lot. The gate will automatically raise when departing. You will have parking access
each morning of the Orientation.

dunno if it is PIL specific or what.

When do they give us a list of textbooks that we should get?

i think i uncovered the following list of textbooks for PIL gross anatomy (can't say i was directed here, just sort of stumbled upon it...). it seems that it's the 06-07 list:

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/grossanatomy/PIL06/Anatomy Texts for PIL.htm

for IFM, i was only able to find this link, but it's broken down by different course, and actually for the 2007-08 year:

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/ifm/courses.asp

although, from what i gathered by talking with MS2's and other people, many of the textbooks are superfluous, in that you don't really need to buy most of them. the board review books, however, i was told are really helpful. i'm going to probably make a judgment call when orientation starts and after talking to other students. what is the general consensus here?

I am guessing we just bring a bookbag or something with us since I would assume we re going to be given alot of information.

Last edited: