Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also i was able to activate my email account and stuff

try http://accounts.drexel.edu and click the "new to drexel" link to see if you can activate yours

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I will be a third year medical student at Drexel coming up in July. If anyone is looking for room, starting in August, I have an brand new apartment near Manayunk. It is about 10 minutes from school so you would need a car. Pictures along with ameneties can be found on http://theglenapartments.net/shawmont/features_amenities.htm Some amenities are plenty of free parking, stainless steel appliances, dishwasher, washer/dryer in unit, fitness facility, private bathroom, and fully furnished kitchen, dining, and living room. Rent is $750 and the lease is for a year. PM if your interested or would like more information

Maybe this was addressed before, but are other people bringing people to the accepted students day. I'm trying to decide whether or not my girlfriend would enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just have a curiosity if you think going to Drexal university itself and applying to the medical school has a much higher chance then the person that did not attend the university. I have been researching this for awhile and I am trying to find real statistics of the schools applications they receive all in all and out of them how many applied from the university and were accepted and not accepted. The same with Temple or any other medical school assuming you did everything like hit the MCAT they wanted and GPA and all other activity stuff you have...Does anyone really know??

I suggest leaving significant others at home for accepted students day. It's a great chance to meet other classmates and get to know one another,
and if you bring your SO you might feel obligated to stay with them instead of mixing around a bit. Just my opinion though.

That, and I know you'll be stuck with me in a PIL session for 50 minutes which, if you're not interested in medicine, is going to be rather uninteresting (I had a friend come to small group once and they were bored out of their mind). But, for all you accepted students it is going to be freakin' awesome! Hope you've been studying...bwahahaha! Just kidding. Don't study. Seriously. Save that for August.

I can't make it to accepted students day, so I'm hoping that those of you attending will fill those of us who can't, in on the highlights :)

Have fun!

I got in!!! Can't wait to start :)

Where do I get info about the accepted students day?? I can't seem to find anything about it.

congrats dranonymous on the acceptance. there will be plenty of events during orientation to get to know everyone so look forward to seeing you there and everyone else.

What did everyone's financial aide package look like? I got mine yesterday and didn't receive anything beyond the 8500 stafford + 40K unsubsidized fed stuff. I think i will be withdrawing later this week. I did like drexel, but KU is so much closer to home for me.

Hey everyone. I was just accepted and was wonderign if anyone could tell me when orientation starts?

has anyone received any info (ie. orientation info) from Drexel yet? I was recently accepted and was wondering if anyone else has received anything from Drexel besides the papers that came with the acceptance. Also, any UC Davis alums coming to Drexel next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received any info (ie. orientation info) from Drexel yet? I was recently accepted and was wondering if anyone else has received anything from Drexel besides the papers that came with the acceptance. Also, any UC Davis alums coming to Drexel next year?

Hi, congrats on the acceptance!! I'm not sure when Orientation will start for you guys, but I believe it will be during the first week in August. You will be getting tons of information over the summer about it, so just sit back and relax! Congrats again!

hey guys so this drexelmed publication lists the following as dates for our class:
august 5-orientation
august 11-white coat ceremony and start of classes

heres to enjoying the next couple of months and congrats on everyone who has joined the class. looking forward to meeting all of you!!!!!!:D

So. For anyone that just heard of their acceptances don't forget to do your scholarship application. It's a bit on the late notice, but the last day to complete it online is April 30th!

So. For anyone that just heard of their acceptances don't forget to do your scholarship application. It's a bit on the late notice, but the last day to complete it online is April 30th!

haha ive been struggling like crazy over this essay

generic essay topics are IMPOSSIBLE

how long was your essay?

Hi everyone!

I'll definitely be attending Drexel this August, and I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing a 2-3br apartment? I like the idea of a bigger place so that we could have a gathering place for friends versus a lonely 1br place.

I'm a 23 y.o. female and I think it would be awesome/cheaper to live with one or two other girls from our class. I'm interested in living either in East Falls (but not so sure about within sight of the school...) or Manayunk. Craigslist seems to have some good places, and I'd like to figure this housing stuff out soon!

Nancy - p.m. me if you'd be interested in finding/ sharing a place with me

I'm almost positive I'm going to Drexel next fall, and thought it was about time to look for housing. I would rather live with someone than by myself. I was wondering if Drexel had a housing message board or if SDN is my best option? Anyways, I'm a 22 old male looking for a one or more roommates, if you are interested just send me a message.

I'm almost positive I'm going to Drexel next fall, and thought it was about time to look for housing. I would rather live with someone than by myself. I was wondering if Drexel had a housing message board or if SDN is my best option? Anyways, I'm a 22 old male looking for a one or more roommates, if you are interested just send me a message.

There is a housing database with a list of apartment complexes in the area and also a roommate list of people looking for roommates. Here is the link:

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/Housing/

I looked online and it says a decision will be mailed to me for Drexel. Did anyone receive their acceptance via snail mail, or is this a rejection?

I still have nothing. I called today and they're still putting paperwork together. Is this a good sign?

I'm in the same boat got my notification of a decision after last week's meeting. It takes some time for them to get the letters printed, signed and mailed. I think sometimes that Drexel is code for "experiment in admissions sadism". Good luck.

I got them to fax it to me. Im officially waitlisted :( Hopefully things change in the next few weeks.

so I withdrew like a week ago via email,and I haven't received any type of response...think I should call to make sure?

Has anyone had any success looking for additional funding? I received my financial aid stuff from Drexel and did the scholarship app but haven't started searching for any additional funding to cover the costs of living, travel, etc..

Any idea where to start?

Has anyone had any success looking for additional funding? I received my financial aid stuff from Drexel and did the scholarship app but haven't started searching for any additional funding to cover the costs of living, travel, etc..

Any idea where to start?

Depends what state you're from. NJ has a special thing out there for loans for example, yours might have different special programs

Hey guys, I'm looking to open a new bank account (hopefully something national) when I get to school, does anybody now what banks have branches in the east falls area?

Hey guys, I'm looking to open a new bank account (hopefully something national) when I get to school, does anybody now what banks have branches in the east falls area?

If you have a car, there's a Citibank about 1.5 miles from school. I think there is a Wachovia nearby, along with a couple of other banks. You'll be getting a lot of information about preparing for stuff like this in a few weeks. In the meantime, you can look at last year's "Survival Guide" at http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2011/StudentSurvivalGuide.htm

It's not 100% accurate, but it will be updated this year.

Also, Drexel University has their own bank. A weird system, but they have an ATM on-campus.

As for banks, I had Wachovia all this year and finally got sick of them. The only branches that stay open past 3pm are all in Center City, meaning if you are trying to cash a check larger than $600 (for rent and utilities from roommates or anything) you can't do it at the ATM. Oh, and they're not open on the weekend...unless you're in Center City.

Check out Commerce Bank, they have a location about 2 miles from school near Target, Chipotle, Pot Belly Subs, California Pizza Kitchen, and Pei Wei (shopping center). They're open until 7 or 8 every day of the week. And no, I don't get anything for sending you there.

As for banks, I had Wachovia all this year and finally got sick of them. The only branches that stay open past 3pm are all in Center City, meaning if you are trying to cash a check larger than $600 (for rent and utilities from roommates or anything) you can't do it at the ATM. Oh, and they're not open on the weekend...unless you're in Center City.

Check out Commerce Bank, they have a location about 2 miles from school near Target, Chipotle, Pot Belly Subs, California Pizza Kitchen, and Pei Wei (shopping center). They're open until 7 or 8 every day of the week. And no, I don't get anything for sending you there.

I wasn't sure if there was a Commerce near the school, but since there is I would say go for that. They are flat-out amazing, and if you find someone with an account to refer you you both will get like $10 or $20! (woohoo)

And soon with commerce you'll have access to TD Banknorth banks with no charge as well since they just bought Commerce

if you find someone with an account to refer you you both will get like $10 or $20! (woohoo)

Look no further. If anyone wants to open an account at Commerce just let me know. Free trip to Chipotle? Yes please.

Just wondering if anyone is searching for a place in East Falls. I will be a first year in the fall and I have found one other first year to live with, but we were finding nicer/cheaper place for three people than for two. If you are interested just send me a message.

I would actually recommend PNC. They have a branch that has late hours and Saturday/Sunday hours in the Chipotle/Target center on City Ave. Their coverage area is much, much more extensive and there are ATMs near almost all clinical sites.

hey everyone...just wanted to throw out an offer on a place in East Falls. It's a house on the corner of Ainsley and Vaux, if anyone wants to google it. There's a bedroom left and rent would be $400 at most plus utilities. It's really close to the med school if that's what you want, in one of the nicest and quietest parts of East Falls, and you can't beat the rent. Let me know if anyone is interested and see you all in August. Speaking of which, did anyone receive any paperwork about orientation yet? I called last week and they said they were going to be sending out something "really soon."

I would actually recommend PNC. They have a branch that has late hours and Saturday/Sunday hours in the Chipotle/Target center on City Ave. Their coverage area is much, much more extensive and there are ATMs near almost all clinical sites.

I went from PNC to Commerce and have been happy with the switch. PNC is just fine though. I really didn't want to pay for new checks so I switched. I also tried Sovereign which sucked. You'll be alright with PNC or commerce. WaWa (more or less the best convenience store in the world) has free ATMs for almost all banks (maybe not Wachovia?). Wawa also has good sandwiches but they've gotten a little expensive.

I went from PNC to Commerce and have been happy with the switch. PNC is just fine though. I really didn't want to pay for new checks so I switched. I also tried Sovereign which sucked. You'll be alright with PNC or commerce. WaWa (more or less the best convenience store in the world) has free ATMs for almost all banks (maybe not Wachovia?). Wawa also has good sandwiches but they've gotten a little expensive.

I think Wawa's sandwiches are both generic and overpriced. You only get their hoagies if its like 2AM and nothing else is open

Their chili is really good, though

I think Wawa's sandwiches are both generic and overpriced. You only get their hoagies if its like 2AM and nothing else is open

Their chili is really good, though

Never tried the chili, I'll have to. I agree on the overpriced for the sandwiches, and also only get them when there aren't better options. But I still think they're great for what they are. It's not a boutique sandwich shop, it's a convenience store, and I don't see anything comparable coming out of 711. I have heard that 711 has some amazing new slurpee flavors though. I do choose Wawa over Subway for sandwiches, but given the option will go Primos over both without a thought. There is a Primos in Roxborough on Ridge Ave. It's also near a Citizens bank (there, the discussion comes full circle).

So all of my loans have been uploaded into the award history in drexel one. Does anyone's shows that they received scholarships?

Looks like I got no love.

So all of my loans have been uploaded into the award history in drexel one. Does anyone's shows that they received scholarships?

Looks like I got no love.

Yeah I got an email yesterday from reo and checked on drexelone. It listed the scholarships I received under the financial awards tab. I think they are still giving them out because I know someone that received an email today and had been given a scholarship. Good luck!

I am interested in getting a 4 BR house to rent. I have two other roommates
however we need one more. If you are interested please let me know.

I just called and confirmed that Orientation will be from August 5th-8th (Mandatory). Classes will begin August 11th along with the White Coat Ceremony that same Monday afternoon.

If you're taking Grad Plus loans you have to submit a Grad Plus Request form(Attached)

Hope that info helps my future comrades, see you in August

Attachments

• Plus Request Form0809.doc
    37 KB · Views: 157
I just called and confirmed that Orientation will be from August 5th-8th (Mandatory). Classes will begin August 11th along with the White Coat Ceremony that same Monday afternoon.

If you're taking Grad Plus loans you have to submit a Grad Plus Request form(Attached)

Hope that info helps my future comrades, see you in August

The calendar is up:

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/calendar/

they're still working on the schedules for the IFM and PIL curricula, though

Also for those wondering about scholarships: if you're not over $20,000 in debt or if your parents make more than $400,000 per year combined you are not eligible for receiving a scholarship

The 20k thing is kind of crap: I chose my undergrad pretty much on scholarship/price so that I wouldn't have debt when I came out of undergrad so that disqualifies me?

Hey guys!!! Did anyone get the information packet from Drexel yet??

Hey this may be a dumb question but if I am not mistaken the white ceremony is kind of momentous so don't peoples family members usually attend? Also if this is the case and it is the first dayof the IFM curriculum, how do they work the schedule? Thanks for any help someone can give