Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clarify, PIL small group is three days a week (MWF), 9-12PM. In 2nd year, it is two days per week (Tuesday/Thursday) at the same time. Group is mandatory. The rest of the stuff, like IFM, is all videotaped/audiotaped so you could watch from home. There are some mandatory labs and clinical skills sessions, etc. However, although a lot of students watch everything from home, I feel those students are less connected to the class.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify, PIL small group is three days a week (MWF), 9-12PM. In 2nd year, it is two days per week (Tuesday/Thursday) at the same time. Group is mandatory. The rest of the stuff, like IFM, is all videotaped/audiotaped so you could watch from home. There are some mandatory labs and clinical skills sessions, etc. However, although a lot of students watch everything from home, I feel those students are less connected to the class.

So with the resource sessions (I'm trying to figure this out from the PIL calender online) what's the typical length of a day of classes for PIL?

RS = Resource Session = LECTURE. Resource sessions are the exact same things as lectures.

So, in PIL, you vary pretty much every day, as you can probably tell from our online calendar. You will never start before 9AM (if you're in IFM, they do have some 8AM classes). You can be guaranteed for first year that you will start 9AM on MWF. You will generally be out of class around 3PMish. Some days its later, some days its earlier... You also have some days you will start at 10 (rare, but it happens).

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/pil... click on any of the blocks for first year and click calendar. It should give you a good idea of our variation!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just recently got accepted and considering going to Drexel. How much is housing for a one bedroom apartment around Manayunk/Lower Roxborough, East Falls, and Center city, respectively? Thanks.

Just recently got accepted and considering going to Drexel. How much is housing for a one bedroom apartment around Manayunk/Lower Roxborough, East Falls, and Center city, respectively? Thanks.

There is a previous post in this thread about housing. I highly encourage you to read it. I don't recommend living alone... rent will be more and having a roommate won't make you feel so lonely.

I didn't realize the previous post didn't have prices. I would say, in general, a 1BR apartment will run you:

Manayunk/Roxborough - 700-800
East Falls - 600-700
Center City - 800+ (more on the plus side)

Search on craigslist and you can get a good idea

There is a previous post in this thread about housing. I highly encourage you to read it. I don't recommend living alone... rent will be more and having a roommate won't make you feel so lonely.

I didn't realize the previous post didn't have prices. I would say, in general, a 1BR apartment will run you:

Manayunk/Roxborough - 700-800
East Falls - 600-700
Center City - 800+ (more on the plus side)

Search on craigslist and you can get a good idea

I locked my place up in east falls and its $1000/month for a nice 1 bedroom apartment

Thanks guys. I have two dogs and so I don't know if anyone would want to room with me.

for the first year ifm curriculum, how often would i actually need to be on campus? im thinking of living in center city (or olde city), and driving to east falls for all the required classes and activities. is it a hassle or is it doable living in downtown?

Just make sure you take into account the parking situation in center city. I'm a first year looking into moving into the city next year and will be driving or taking the shuttle every day. I realized a couple things while looking around. Places will either have parking included in rent, an additional monthly fee, or no parking at all. So just make sure you have that in mind when looking. Most of my friends that live in the city don't have cars at all.

Hey, I have a few questions... and am incredibly happy to be able to post on this thread now! When do people usually sign leases for the next academic year? Do people usually get one bedroom places or find roomates? Are we going to have a second look weekend this year?

Hey, I have a few questions... and am incredibly happy to be able to post on this thread now! When do people usually sign leases for the next academic year? Do people usually get one bedroom places or find roomates? Are we going to have a second look weekend this year?

Yes, there is an accepted students weekend. People sign leases up until the day of orientation, although I would recommend doing it earlier rather than later or you might end up with less options. Most people do have roommates... the rent isn't very expensive, but cable, high speed internet, and electric/gas can add up to quite a bit if you're paying it alone.

Also, join the facebook group:
http://drexel.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6490206910

After weeks of waiting for my final decision envelope, I finally got an acceptance today!! Couldn't be happier! Congrats to all of you as well!

hey meem congrats on the acceptance! If drexelmed is your final choice see you in august as well!

Ive just been accepted to Drexel which is pretty cool but the thought if living so far away from my girlfriend for so many years is not.

With the internet classes is it possible to commute to school? I remember on the interview a student mentioned spending a semester at home.

Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you should rethink your priorities. if she loves you, shell understand what you have to do.

maybe you should rethink your priorities. if she loves you, shell understand what you have to do.

I know she does I just dont want to live away longer than I have to if its possible.

I know she does I just dont want to live away longer than I have to if its possible.

Hi, I don't know where home is for you, but as an IFMer, I can vouch for the fact that if you chose the IFM curriculum, you would have more flexibility in arranging your schedule. However, in general, most labs (micro and gross) are mandatory. Even if they aren't required, you would really be missing out by not going. Some of the small group conferences are mandatory (Biochem, Genetics I think?), and others are "highly encouraged," and some even offer extra incentives to show up. Either way, attending conference is a biggie. So, while I'd say you can opt not to show up to lecture, and watch them online at another point, I don't recommend skipping labs. All of the things I said just now are for IFM. PIL is a different ballgame in that you are required to attend the small group sessions, which I believe meet more frequently than IFM's conferences and labs.

Now that I've sounded sufficiently discouraging, the flip side is you can definitely make long weekends in IFM (perhaps the same is true in PIL, though I am not sure). If you have a Friday or a Monday that has only lectures, then you can just hop on a plane to California, if you want. I have some friends now who do that. They watch their lectures on the plane, and are all caught up when they come back to class.

Also, a caveat--don't choose your curriculum based on flexibility alone-- i.e. don't choose IFM because you can disappear more often. :)

Hope that helps!

Hi, I don't know where home is for you, but as an IFMer, I can vouch for the fact that if you chose the IFM curriculum, you would have more flexibility in arranging your schedule. However, in general, most labs (micro and gross) are mandatory. Even if they aren't required, you would really be missing out by not going. Some of the small group conferences are mandatory (Biochem, Genetics I think?), and others are "highly encouraged," and some even offer extra incentives to show up. Either way, attending conference is a biggie. So, while I'd say you can opt not to show up to lecture, and watch them online at another point, I don't recommend skipping labs. All of the things I said just now are for IFM. PIL is a different ballgame in that you are required to attend the small group sessions, which I believe meet more frequently than IFM's conferences and labs.

Now that I've sounded sufficiently discouraging, the flip side is you can definitely make long weekends in IFM (perhaps the same is true in PIL, though I am not sure). If you have a Friday or a Monday that has only lectures, then you can just hop on a plane to California, if you want. I have some friends now who do that. They watch their lectures on the plane, and are all caught up when they come back to class.

Also, a caveat--don't choose your curriculum based on flexibility alone-- i.e. don't choose IFM because you can disappear more often. :)

Hope that helps!

I figured IFM would be more flexible with schedule than PIL.

I distinctly remember a student mentioning how she was able to go back home for a semester and live in Arizona. Are there any semesters when there are no labs or gross anatomy (obviously Id have to be there for that) like this student described?

Or maybe I misunderstood...

hi everyone! can't wait to meet you all. just got accepted today after a long wait !

I figured IFM would be more flexible with schedule than PIL.

I distinctly remember a student mentioning how she was able to go back home for a semester and live in Arizona. Are there any semesters when there are no labs or gross anatomy (obviously Id have to be there for that) like this student described?

Or maybe I misunderstood...

Haha, I don't think you misunderstood. DUCOM doesn't operate on a semester calendar, so the way I think of it is that the courses meet "as needed." So, for example, Micro runs from August through mid-March. I think Gross runs from October through mid-May. I'm not sure who this person is who was able to go live in Arizona for a semester, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I guess if you arranged it with your lab partners that you wouldn't go to certain labs, then you could have even more flexibility. But at some point though, you gotta go to school... lol

Haha, I don't think you misunderstood. DUCOM doesn't operate on a semester calendar, so the way I think of it is that the courses meet "as needed." So, for example, Micro runs from August through mid-March. I think Gross runs from October through mid-May. I'm not sure who this person is who was able to go live in Arizona for a semester, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I guess if you arranged it with your lab partners that you wouldn't go to certain labs, then you could have even more flexibility. But at some point though, you gotta go to school... lol

It sounds like you are referring to the PIL Primary Care Practicum. For this, the student can go anywhere in the country with a practicing, licensed primary care physician. This happens from April-June only for PIL students...so for this, yes, you can go to Arizona for the entire time period.

It sounds like you are referring to the PIL Primary Care Practicum. For this, the student can go anywhere in the country with a practicing, licensed primary care physician. This happens from April-June only for PIL students...so for this, yes, you can go to Arizona for the entire time period.

Can it be a DO or MDs only?

Can it be a DO or MDs only?

I'm pretty sure it can be a DO as well. As long as they are primary care (e.g. pediatrics, internal medicine, family medicine). Emergency Medicine can only be done upon approval of the practicum director.

Lookin forward to meetin everyone..

When is a good time to start lookin at apartments and stuff? I'm lookin at apartmentratings.com and Park Heights is recommended by 72% of ppl while Alden Park is recommended by 40%..any suggestions between the two or any other areas?

Lookin forward to meetin everyone..

When is a good time to start lookin at apartments and stuff? I'm lookin at apartmentratings.com and Park Heights is recommended by 72% of ppl while Alden Park is recommended by 40%..any suggestions between the two or any other areas?

Well, my first question to you is will you have a car your first 2 years?

Yep..I was plannin on bringin the car

Then there's really not a *great* reason to live in the East Falls area. Manayunk/Roxborough is a ton nicer and there are lots of things to do around there. I would look at places like Summit and Woodmere (a lot of students live in those places) or just renting an apartment from a private landlord in the Rox/Manayunk area. There isn't much in the East Falls area in terms of restaurants, shops, etc. Plus, you will be less than 10 minutes from school, which is just as much time you'd be walking to school from Alden or Park Heights if you walk...other advantage: you don't wake up and see the med school.

Just my 2 cents.

Then there's really not a *great* reason to live in the East Falls area. Manayunk/Roxborough is a ton nicer and there are lots of things to do around there. I would look at places like Summit and Woodmere (a lot of students live in those places) or just renting an apartment from a private landlord in the Rox/Manayunk area. There isn't much in the East Falls area in terms of restaurants, shops, etc. Plus, you will be less than 10 minutes from school, which is just as much time you'd be walking to school from Alden or Park Heights if you walk...other advantage: you don't wake up and see the med school.

Just my 2 cents.

You can also look in Mt. Airy (safer in west mt. airy) and Chestnut hill. Both nice areas and easy to drive from. Manayunk's fun but parking can be a bear. I might just keep my apartment in Chestnut Hill although the areas a little pricey. Craigslist seems to be the best source of apartment listings in the area.

How long after the interview did you all find out? It's been about a month here. :confused:

I haven't posted in awhile... but congrats to all those who have heard back from DUCoM on acceptances. For those that haven't, it can take some time... they don't want a repetition of the previous year with over-accepting. For some ~13 weeks was the longest I knew of personally.

Looking forward to seeing you all... perhaps april, if not, for sure August :)

Hi All--for those of you contemplating living in Center City, I am leaving my apartment this summer:

3 story, 2 bedrm, 900+ sq trinity house for rent. Shared outdoor courtyard space for bikes, bbq, etc.

$1550/month
Move-in Mid-May/June 1st

For those familiar with Philly, the house is near 20th and South St. in Center City. Great, safe, centrally-located neighborhood close to Rittenhouse Sq:

The house is about a 25 minute walk to Hanehmann Hospital (Drexel's teaching hospital) where they also have a free shuttle to the East Falls campus

If you have a car, there is reasonable street parking in the neighborhood. The East Falls campus is about a 15 min drive away.

I am starting at Drexel in August and I would definitely stay here if I had a car.

If you are interested, please PM me for more details. Pics below in my CL posting:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/601354056.html

So who is all going to accepted students day? What do you do for the 10 hours that youre there?

haha I'm wondering the same thing. it says they'll send the detailed schedule at a later date, but wow, there must be a lot planned for that day! i have a feeling we'll all be pretty exhausted by the end. still, i'm really excited! :)

I'll be there.. looking forward to meeting everyone

okay, so I am definitely living in center city, and I was wondering if anyone here was interested in possibly sharing a 2-bedroom apt with me? I am looking in the rittenhouse area (very safe/affluent,if you would like/convenient/"residential" hub of downtown). I am 24-yr old male.

If anyone is even remotely interested, please PM me.

hi everyone,
i'll be entering the med school in august, and i have some questions:

how many students are in the PIL program versus the IFM program?

So far, I've gathered that the main advantage of IFM are that you have a more flexible schedule. What other advantages/disadvantages are there in both programs?

Thanks a lot!

hi everyone,
i'll be entering the med school in august, and i have some questions:

how many students are in the PIL program versus the IFM program?

So far, I've gathered that the main advantage of IFM are that you have a more flexible schedule. What other advantages/disadvantages are there in both programs?

Thanks a lot!

PIL - 70 students
IFM - 200 students

(The current first year class was over-enrolled... it won't happen to your class)

First off, don't make your decision as to what curriculum you choose based on how many other people choose each. You need to choose the curriculum that is best for you... you will meet great people in both curricula.

Some advantages/disadvantages to each:

PIL

Advantages - small groups which lead to the PIL students knowing each other a lot better than IFM students, interactive lectures, closer faculty interaction, more clinical skills your first year (you do history AND physical exam), a 7-week clinical practicum at the end of the year (classes end mid-April) with any licensed primary care physician of your choice in the country, PIL room (free printing + copying + PIL library of textbooks)

Disadvantages - required attendance at group (MSI - 3 days/wk, MSII 2 days/wk), the students are a bit more cliquey, feels very disorganized when you first start until you get the hang of it, there are some topics you do not go into as much depth as the IFM students (does not affect board scores), end mid-June (due to practicum, so no actual classes)

IFM

Advantages - Wednesday afternoons (you either have a community educational experience or a free afternoon), there are very few things that are mandatory, much less cliquey, traditional curriculum and all notes in advance, traditional lectures (unless you want to feel free to ask questions at any time in lecture), a bit more integrative as IFM learns by body region rather than by subject, all multiple choice question exams (PIL has essays, so this can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on you), you are done at the end of May!

Disadvantages - a bigger class, many people choose not to attend class so you really won't ever know everyone and there is a bit less interaction, do not learn physical exam first year, quizzes/exams every week, the months of February/March it is not uncommon to have multiple exams per week (including some course final exams) - known as their hell months, small groups are 15-20 people instead of 7 in PIL and meet much less frequently (they meet as case conferences)

IN GENERAL, AT THE END OF TWO YEARS YOU WILL KNOW THE EXACT SAME THING! Board scores do not differ between curricula. Some MS3 and MS4 students will tell you PIL students seem to be better prepared initially at MS3 because they are using to working an entire patient case, but that is just INITIALLY. PIL and IFM students do interact somewhat but you have to make an effort to do that, as during the year your schedules are completely different, including spring break!

Hope that clears some things up.

I have a few financial aid question. First, when should we expect our aid packages to come in? For the kids that have no estimated contribution, does Drexel usually find a way to cover everything, and is that money all loans? Also, with the drexel scholarship app, is there any way to find out what each of the scholarships is looking for and how much it is? As a financially needy woman I qualify for a ton of them and don't know how to pick five. Finally, When can we expect to get our financial aid money? I need to get a computer, but lenovo is infamous for taking a long time to get their computers shipped and I want to make sure that I have it in time for classes, and I also need to put down a security deposit on a future apartment. Phew, that was a lot, any help would be appreciated.

I have a few financial aid question. First, when should we expect our aid packages to come in? For the kids that have no estimated contribution, does Drexel usually find a way to cover everything, and is that money all loans? Also, with the drexel scholarship app, is there any way to find out what each of the scholarships is looking for and how much it is? As a financially needy woman I qualify for a ton of them and don't know how to pick five. Finally, When can we expect to get our financial aid money? I need to get a computer, but lenovo is infamous for taking a long time to get their computers shipped and I want to make sure that I have it in time for classes, and I also need to put down a security deposit on a future apartment. Phew, that was a lot, any help would be appreciated.

Where did you get that information from? And where is the scholarship application?

I called the financial aid office about some of these questions. They told me that you will get your award letter in May, and that all scholarships/grants are determined by the admissions committee for entering students.

Somewhere I read on this site that ~20% of students receive some sort of free money (take that with a grain of salt)

Also you're allowed to take out student loans up to the amount that they have designated on their web site. You can find that here http://www.drexelmed.edu/Admissions/MDProgram/FinancialAid/tabid/2321/Default.aspx

If you have problems with the aid money arriving after you need to order your laptop, is there any way you can put it on a credit card and pay it all off as soon as your money comes in? If you buy it and pay it off in less than a month you won't have to pay any interest on it.

its on the financial aid part on apply for drexel scholarships, but keep it quiet :p (jk)

Here are a few answers for ya:

1) Financial aid packages will arrive mid-summer.
***GET YOUR FAFSA FILLED OUT NOW!!!***

2) Fill out your FAFSA now. If you haven't gathered that, it's important. The sooner you fill it out, the more you will qualify for (Perkins, etc.) without having to resort to higher interest rate Grad PLUS loans.

3) That scholarship selection list is just that. A list. Choose any 5 you feel best meet your description (from the sentence or phrase beside it) and you will automatically be in the running for ALL of the scholarships. They are need-based, and no matter which 5 your indicate interest for, Reo in the financial aid office will make sure you are put in the running for ANY you qualify for. He's great at finding cash.

4) That being said, the scholarships are usually not for a great deal of money. Typically they are anywhere from $500-$3000.

5) This is probably the most important bit of info; your financial aid will be sent to you AFTER Drexel takes out tuition...this means you will get your money AFTER SCHOOL STARTS. Most 1st years got their money within the first two weeks this year, however there were a few mix-ups and some people had to wait until September at the latest to get their money. Yeah, it sucks, but that's the fact. Private loans are different, so I can't comment on those, but Stafford, Perkins and Grad PLUS are delivered to the school first.

Here is how it works for Stafford, Perkins and Grad PLUS loans: the government (by way of your loan company) sends Drexel the full amount of your award, let's say $30,000 per term since you have accounted for living expenses in your loan request. Drexel will take out what you owe them for tuition ($24,000-ish per term) and then send you a check for the remainder either by mail or by direct deposit, whichever you elect to have done.
*****If you want your refund sent directly to your bank account, which is MUCH FASTER THAN THE MAIL, be sure to fill out the direct deposit bit mentioned in your financial aid packet. Also, make sure your mailing address and personal information are up-to-date with the Financial Aid office, otherwise your check might go to your permanent address instead of being delivered directly to you.

Financial aid can be one of the most annoying parts about school, but it doesn't have to be. Your life will be much easier if you stop by and talk to someone in Financial Aid the first week of school, even if it's just to make sure all your information is correct and that you are up-to-date on all your paperwork. Our financial aid guys are on their game and can get things done... you just have to take the initiative to go in or call them.

Hope that answers a few questions...if you have more give a holler.

so you just have to eat your housing deposit and computer money until a few weeks into school? Damn

its on the financial aid part on apply for drexel scholarships, but keep it quiet :p (jk)

Hey, how did you log-in to fill out the scholarship form? Am I on the wrong site or have people been sent their log-in info, but not me? Thanks!

Ok so I just got my financial aid award from drexel

...prepare to have your breathe taken away :laugh:

seriously though, they calculate $71,734 in expenses for the first year!!!!

and to make it worse i didnt even have my tuition + fees covered by my offered financial aid :scared:

seriously though, they calculate $71,734 in expenses for the first year!!!!:

They tend to over-estimate that. Use the little worksheet that comes in the packet to calculate your living expenses...they will end up a lot lower. I believe they also factor in $2,500 for a laptop, so unless you're getting a fully-loaded Macbook Pro with every piece of software offered, it's a lot cheaper.