Drexel MSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my interview 2.5 weeks ago and have not heard anything. I received my acceptance from BU nearly 2 weeks ago and have to reply soon so I am very anxious to hear back from Drexel, as MSP is my first choice and I do not want to pay the deposit for BU if not absolutely needed. Did you get an email or did you receive mail the very next week? I wonder if calling them would help or if they just send rejections after acceptances... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the selection process #s from full pool to those chosen for interviews and then % of those people offered admissions? Also, is Drexel known for extending the process long into summer? Getting worried :scared:

hopestobe said:
I had my interview 2.5 weeks ago and have not heard anything. I received my acceptance from BU nearly 2 weeks ago and have to reply soon so I am very anxious to hear back from Drexel, as MSP is my first choice and I do not want to pay the deposit for BU if not absolutely needed. Did you get an email or did you receive mail the very next week? I wonder if calling them would help or if they just send rejections after acceptances... :(

I received the letter in the mail the following friday. It was actually dated May 22, 2006. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
precious124 said:
I got into the MSP program!!Yay!! For your information, I had my interview on May 18, 2006 and heard from them a week later.

What was our overall and science gpa to get into the MSP program...? any other things that may have increased your chances?

I am going on vacation so I called them this week to check on the status of my app but have not received a call back so not sure if that is a bad sign or if theyre just annoyed that I called. Does anyone know how the admission process for MSP works? I applied to BU and NJ less than 2 months ago and received my acceptances from both 3 weeks ago so I thought perhaps Drexel has some kind of complicated system or send their rejections later on...

precious124 said:
I got into the MSP program!!Yay!! For your information, I had my interview on May 18, 2006 and heard from them a week later.

Congrats. I was wondering about the types of questions on the interview. Could you help me out?
Thanks,
NKS

Kinds of questions:

What are your career goals?
What made you want to become a doctor?
How would the program benefit you?
What organizations and volunteer services have you done? How do you feel the organizations have helped you in deciding your career goal?
What are your hobbies?

I actually received the letter of acceptance twice and when I called them, they said that there was a little confusion last week. So for those who haven't heard, maybe it's just because they're trying to figure out and clarify some stuff.

Can anyone who has been accepted recently post or PM me about their overall GPA, GRE, or MCAT score needed for this program. I just took my GRE and waiting for the score to apply next spring or fall. Thank You!

syke said:
Can anyone who has been accepted recently post or PM me about their overall GPA, GRE, or MCAT score needed for this program. I just took my GRE and waiting for the score to apply next spring or fall. Thank You!

I am a former MSP/IMS student and typically the admissions people look for 3.0ish MATH/SCIENCE and a 20-26 MCAT (above a 26 they send you to IMS). GRE I hear they like the 70th percentile or higher in the sections. Of course all these things are variable and the earlier you apply the lower the numbers they'll consider. Personally I was a 2.98 math/sci and 720 Quant. and 550 Verb.

I am a former MSP/IMSer and I had a 3.48 GPA and a 23 MCAT when I was accepted in 2001.

Demonstrate your enthusiasm during the interview and be determined to get accepted to med school no matter what!

Good Luck,
WISC-ite

I was wondering what you guys thought about sending them (drexel msp) a letter of interest. I had my interview last friday and it seemed to go pretty well (I only have my interpretation of the interview and since it was a phone interview and you can't see the other person's facial reactions or body language, who knows how it really went :confused: )

I saw PegasisGMS and WISC-ite post their stats and I don't have 3.0 science gpa, or even 3.0 overall gpa. I'm beginning to wonder now if I even have a chance, I mean I know that they wouldn't have interviewed me if they didn't see something they liked in my application (I have some pretty solid EC's) but because I applied and interviewed so late, I think I am pretty far down thier list of people to accept. Also, since WISC-ite mentioned that we should demonstrate enthusiam and interest in the program, I thought that sending a letter of interest might let them know how much I really really want to get into the program (not sure if I expressed that enough in the interview???). I think because I am from California and the fact that I demonstrate willingness to relocate across the country and be away from my family (and endure harsh environments :p --cold weather here is 60 deg F) will show them how serious I really am.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering....for the first semester for the msp program, what courses will be taken?
thanks

precious124 said:
I was wondering....for the first semester for the msp program, what courses will be taken?
thanks

If you go to this website:

http://www.drexel.edu/catalog/certificates/msp.htm#

It takes you to the course catalog and it shows you the courses for the msp program for fall and spring semesters.:)

It even tells you how many credits students in the program will be taking each semester :)

I just got into the IMS program. My GPA is not stellar but MCAT is 30. Verbal is 13, BIO and phy are 8 & 9. I am concerned as to why they put me in IMS. Isn't MSP better for me? The IMS seems much more intense. Please advice.

sfgirl said:
I just got into the IMS program. My GPA is not stellar but MCAT is 30. Verbal is 13, BIO and phy are 8 & 9. I am concerned as to why they put me in IMS. Isn't MSP better for me? The IMS seems much more intense. Please advice.
MSP is for people with low MCATs, you have stellar scores. and I guess your 8 and 9 is good enough, at least in drexels IMS eyes, to be good enough to get into med school, and that you would benefit more with the IMS program.

Thanks-
I am truly concerned with the level difficulty of IMS. 6 Classes in one semester??? That seems insane.

sfgirl said:
Thanks-
I am truly concerned with the level difficulty of IMS. 6 Classes in one semester??? That seems insane.

MSP is for people with MCAT's below a 27. It is designed to enhance your gpa and MCAT. Those 6 classes in IMS do not start at the same time. Some finish when others start and one of those is a "soft" class. It's a tough program to get all A's and B's in. It is not very tough to pass your classea.

SGMD1 said:
Got the letter today...I'm on "hold" status :(

ME TOO !! :(

I sent them a letter of interest, ironically they will receive it tomorrow ( I received the "hold" letter today). I haven't taken any classes since I graduated, mostly due to financial reasons so I'm wondering if I even have a chance :( :(

Does anyone know the chances of being removed from "hold" status and into "accepted" status?

PlAnEjaNe said:
ME TOO !! :(

I sent them a letter of interest, ironically they will receive it tomorrow ( I received the "hold" letter today). I haven't taken any classes since I graduated, mostly due to financial reasons so I'm wondering if I even have a chance :( :(

Does anyone know the chances of being removed from "hold" status and into "accepted" status?

I also recived a "application on hold" letter last week. Although I am thankful that I did not get a rejection letter I don’t think the chances of acceptance are that great. From what I understand they only accept 35-40 people a year. I decided to send in a response letter and since I have not taken any classes since graduation, I decided to stress my interest in the program and highlight my strengths as a student and future physician.

What does it mean to be on hold? Is it the same as a waiting list? I still have not heard back from them so Im thinking that I will probably get the same news very soon. I only had 1 sci class my last sem so I did not bother to send them those grades since they never asked, I just assumed that they would ask if they wanted them, I guess that was my mistake. Is there any hope? I got into BU MAMS but Im almost positive that I cannot afford it without financial aid which they are not really offering, leaving MSP as my last option

hopestobe said:
What does it mean to be on hold? Is it the same as a waiting list? I still have not heard back from them so Im thinking that I will probably get the same news very soon. I only had 1 sci class my last sem so I did not bother to send them those grades since they never asked, I just assumed that they would ask if they wanted them, I guess that was my mistake. Is there any hope? I got into BU MAMS but Im almost positive that I cannot afford it without financial aid which they are not really offering, leaving MSP as my last option

Well it does not hurt to send in your new grades, call Drexel or even better to send in a letter of interest.

Does anyone know if the class is already full then or are they waiting until after that July app deadline to make things final?

when i called last week i was told that all finals decisions will we made the 1st week of July. (I'm guessing right after the application deadlines) :oops:

Does anyone know if it matters when you applied? :confused:

My application was only complete about a week ago (they were waiting on MCAT scores). I haven't been asked for a phone interview yet and if theyre making final decisions by the end of the first week of July do I even have a chance?

shetalweapon

I called them this morning and they told me my app has also been put on hold. However the guy who answered said that they would def go back and look at it so Im not sure if he is really not up to date on admisssions and is just telling me what he thinks or if this is really true. He also told me that my sci gpa was the main concern so now Im a bit confused b/c it is not a waiting list but its also not a rejection making me think they did not reject anyone and just put them on hold so that they would have a reserve of potential students in the case that they dont have enough students which is most likely not going to be the case considernig the #s

Following the post about sending in new grades, they also said that it couldnt hurt but not positive what a huge diff it would make, I had 2 B-s, and an A
my last spring sem, which is pretty much the same as my past semesters, would it be wise to send these grades in since there was no improvement? Im afraid that it actually could hurt my app if they were to look again

hopestobe said:
I called them this morning and they told me my app has also been put on hold. However the guy who answered said that they would def go back and look at it so Im not sure if he is really not up to date on admisssions and is just telling me what he thinks or if this is really true. He also told me that my sci gpa was the main concern so now Im a bit confused b/c it is not a waiting list but its also not a rejection making me think they did not reject anyone and just put them on hold so that they would have a reserve of potential students in the case that they dont have enough students which is most likely not going to be the case considernig the #s

I think you are right, i don't think anyone has been denied a spot. Most have been put on hold. Like you said yourself, everyone might be a potential student, the question really is how many will they take. :confused:
In regards to your classes i would submit them if they significantly improve your GPA, it would look better once they take that second look at your application. ;)

hopestobe said:

I also spoke to them on Tuesday and the guy told me that I was put on hold due to my science gpa as well. He did say that they have rejected people "Oh, well we definitely have been handing out rejections to people, the commitee was just a little indecisive about you, their main concern was with your science gpa, typically we like to see people with your mcat score (mid to upper 20s) with a science gpa of around 3.0" They gave me a little comfort to know that they had out-right rejected some people letting me know they weren't just putting everyone on hold. He said there were about 10-15 people in my situation (on hold). I don't think the hold list is very long and I think it is not rolling admissions on the hold list but rather who they think is best fit for the program. He did say that they would continue to accept people on the hold list if people declined their acceptance, although I am not so sure about people declining acceptances to the msp program, the chances that they would have been accepted to med school is slim, after-all, you have to have scored less than a 27 on the mcat to be considered for msp. I am just praying that they will either accept me or continue to place me on hold where I can then be accepted when others decline (hopefully!)

Good Luck :thumbup:

drummondii said:
Congratulations Planejane!! :thumbup:

Actually, I was just trying to bump the post because there hadn't been any replies in a while. :) Sorry :oops:

Edit: Has anyone that was put on hold heard anything yet??

PlAnEjaNe said:
Actually, I was just trying to bump the post because there hadn't been any replies in a while. :) Sorry :oops:

Edit: Has anyone that was put on hold heard anything yet??

yup, i heard the class is almost full :confused: :scared: :(

thelittlemole said:
yup, i heard the class is almost full :confused: :scared: :(

I guess this means we should abandon all hope.....? :( :confused:

PlAnEjaNe said:
I guess this means we should abandon all hope.....? :( :confused:

Don't abandon all hope, but have a backup plan

Hey guys I'm also waiting for a response from Drexel and so i called today asking for my app status...the guy told me that the class is almost full and that most people in the class thus far have mid 20s on the MCAT and around 3.3-3.4 GPA. He also said that I should be hearing from them sometime next week...just thought i update you guys. Goodluck!

shetalweapon said:
My application was only complete about a week ago (they were waiting on MCAT scores). I haven't been asked for a phone interview yet and if theyre making final decisions by the end of the first week of July do I even have a chance?

shetalweapon

My app was completed just a few weeks ago too due to a wait on my MCAT scores and I got a call today to schedule a phone interview. So there is def some hope for people who applied late or are on the waiting list.

My application had also been put on hold, and I called drexel today and they said that the just recently sent some "stuff" to me. I don't live too far from philly, so I should get it tomorrow. So for those of you who are still waiting , depending on how far away you live you may get something tomorrow

swimmj said:
My application had also been put on hold, and I called drexel today and they said that the just recently sent some "stuff" to me. I don't live too far from philly, so I should get it tomorrow. So for those of you who are still waiting , depending on how far away you live you may get something tomorrow

can you post here whenever you get the 'stuff'?
I got the same response this morning and I have no idea what they mean.. :confused:
(I'm in California so it may still be bit for me to get it..)

I called back and they also said that they have accepted some people from the hold list too this week. So I'll know something tomorrow I'm pretty sure. I'll post something tomorrow when i get it too.

I just had few a questions for people who have gone through this and can enlighten us "lost" MSPers:
Background about myself: I just had my interview for the MSP program about a week ago and I'm currently waiting for their response. If i do get accepted I will have less than a week to figure out these things. so please help!

1. What is the turn around time for when u have your interview and you get their decision? Being offered an interview, does that mean you're almost accepted or can you still expect things to not work out?
2. All attending MSPers that are taking out loans, what type of loans did you guys take out and how long did it take for things to finalize between yourself and the people you took out the loan from? (i ask this because if i'm offered a seat i want to know how much time i have to get things rolling in this matter)
3. Some places in Philly where one can look for housing? I know center city is where the classes are held but can one cummute from university city? Any other area where there is cheap/quality housing with only half hour of commute? (I'm thinking about getting a bike)
4. What are you doing to financially support yourself for the year? Job? Past MSPers are there any workstudy jobs available for graduate students on Drexel campus where you just have to sit there and can do school work?

thanks in advance!

everybody has been talking about their applications being put "on hold".. but I received a letter today that said that I was "waitlisted" for the MSP program. Is there a difference? Is being waitlisted even worse than being on hold? I figured I should just give up and finalize plans at other programs.. but if there's any inkling of hope.. I REALLY want to go to Drexel.. any ideas?

Did they offer you a spot in the fall 06 or fall 07 for the Master's program? I received a wait-list letter today but now i'm fearing the worst.

Still a great program... I am now applying for residency... in ortho.

Not bad for a guy who was told no by 30 some med schools... the first time around.

Good luck to all!
WISC-ite

If doing well in the IMS is supposed to help your med school app, why are you guys saying that you do the IMS during the lag year?

Also, why does it seem like entrance into the MSP is more competitive than the IMS?

Thanks guys,
Austin

I just mailed my application for the MSP prorgram yesterday for the upcoming Fall. Does anyone know if it helps to have sent the application in early? Or when they start looking at applications? I hope mine doesn't get lost in a file somewhere because I applied too early... Any advice would be appreciated. Can anyone accepted to last year's program offer any insights? Thanks in advance.