Dress code for meeting with professor to potentially do research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDWannabe819

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am meeting a professor tomorrow to potentially do research with him. What should i wear? His email simply said "come see me tomorrow from 10 am to 3 pm if you have time"

I was thinking just black dress pants with a button up.

Members don't see this ad.

After working a few years in a corporate setting prior to med school, I think it's ALWAYS a good idea to over-dress when in doubt, especially with a potential mentor. That means at a minimum -- in my view -- shirt and tie for guys, and women's suit or blouse/slacks/skirt. Consider your first meeting or first formal meeting as a job interview, so dress the part.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree to overdress since it will never hurt (minimum of slacks, dress shoes, button up shirt). However, a lot of "formal" meetings with potential PI's are a lot more casual than a traditional interview. Most PI's will interview you in whatever their normal attire is. One PI I worked for, the first time I met with him, he was wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops :p. It definitely set the tone for the interview haha.

I agree to overdress since it will never hurt (minimum of slacks, dress shoes, button up shirt). However, a lot of "formal" meetings with potential PI's are a lot more casual than a traditional interview. Most PI's will interview you in whatever their normal attire is. One PI I worked for, the first time I met with him, he was wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops :p. It definitely set the tone for the interview haha.

This is very true and worth noting (so as to not be surprised when you walk into the room). But remember, they have earned the right to dress down. Most of us have not ;).