dress attire for interview at cafe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airrick16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have an interview for Vet School with an alumnus at local coffee place/cafe. Based of your experiences (you all must have gone through this yourselves), what would be the proper dress attire for this type of interview?

Do I wear a suit and tie? Or do I go with khakis and dress shirt, because of the casual atmosphere?

Members don't see this ad.

I would wear the suit and tie. I would rather be overdressed for an interview/meeting then underdressed. What school is this for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at the school (a more formal place) so I dressed in a business suit. In your situation I'm not really sure... but definitely better to be over dressed than under!

Really? I'm really surprised, everyone is recommending a business suit to an interview at a quaint little coffee joint. I must be really out of touch.

Is this an official interview for admission to the school? Or is it just a meet and greet type situation?

I am being interviewed by a local veterinarian who is an alumnus of the school to which I am applying. I made arrangements (date/time early afternoon) with her via email and she choose the location which is basically a cafe. Here is the review:

Intriguing spot with a great concept, on one side you can have a late night coffee and dessert, the other half of the business is a fantastic small bar. The coffee side is the larger of the two with the display counter to the right and tables to the left. There is additional tables up a few steps to the back of the room. The bar side is very small with maybe 6 bar stools and a couple of tables. Bar side is very intimate and quiet with a fantastic bartender who pours top notch drinks. Tends to be very busy in the winter months, but it does not take much to seem busy, 15-20 people and you are cramped in, that is how small the space is. I would not hesitate to give 5 stars if the space was larger. Also have 2 or 3 tables outside on the sidewalk in the warmer months.

At the beginning I have to write a 10-15 minute essay, and then the interview. But I'm unsure about the appropriate dress attire. I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb in a 3-piece suit with timepiece :D

This is my opinion and in no way am I trying to insult you. I think that you are too focused on the location of the meeting. I feel that regardless of where you would be meeting them, this is an interview for a seat in a school of veterinary medicine and should be treated as such. I think a suit would be appropriate for the purpose of the meeting. You want to show them that you are serious. Regardless of if they express it or not, dressing properly for an interview be it a job interview or an educational interview makes a strong impression. Im sure they will be impressed that you took the time to make yourself look professional. Is this interview for Ohio State or SGU? The interview format is very similar to SGU's.

I would wear the suite and tie. You can always take the jacket off when you sit down and start eating. I just feel that even if it is in a cafe, you should show that you still take the interview seriously. And like the others said, no one can fault you for being over dressed.

Personally, I'd go more towards business casual. Depends on if you're a girl or guy, but people seem to be assuming guy, so I'll go with that. I'd wear a button down shirt and nice slacks. Tie might be good, too. It also depends on where/when you're going to be. If it's a cafe in a business district and you'll be there during work hours, you'll probably see lots of people in business suits grabbing coffee on a break from the office. If it's a quirkier place, then you'd feel very out of place. But a suit jacket for a coffee shop seems pretty formal to me. If it was a stuffy traditional interview, I feel like they would have picked that ambiance. Picking a coffee shop sets the tone a little bit less formal. My 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well let's say I live in England, so flying to Ohio State is not a viable option. I don;t know if I'd call it the business district, but its on the main street of a small town. There are mostly stores and restaurants there. But now that I've read everyone's comments, I think I will wear a suit. Thanks everyone :)

Why are you being so cryptic when it comes to telling everyone which school this interview is for?

I decided to go with the the three piece suit, thanks everyone! Like some of you said, its better to be overdressed than underdressed.

While I agree that it is better to be over-dressed then under dressed, unless dress code is vastly different in (England is it?) then I am used to, a Three-Piece Suit is a bit over the top. I don't know who recommended that to you, I'm to busy to read all the other posts, but, IMO - a three piece suit is a bit too formal for an interview.

Now, if its your preference, or perhaps its an English thing - then by all means...

Last edited:
So Frederick E Jones DVM is a she?

Don't make me pull out the ORLY owl.

And here I am not even completely sure what a three piece suit is. Too much studying of nerves and bones, not enough real life.

*googles*

And here I am not even completely sure what a three piece suit is. Too much studying of nerves and bones, not enough real life.

*googles*

Pants, vest, blazer

like you would wear as a groom in a wedding.

More like this

I suspect those getting uptight about it are probably 20 somethings. They are actually entirely appropriate for business and are making quite a comeback this fall.

I've always been taught that an interview is an interview. Whether for a job at a Fortune 500 company or McDonalds, for vet school, law school or medical school, for an organization, whether in an informal place or in an office. You dress appropriately, ie: suit and tie.

if i had an interview at a mcdonalds i would still wear a suit.

that 3 piece suit link looks very snazzy :thumbup:

I believe I have been to said mysterious cafe...hmmm.

Strange circumstances...but I agree with what has been said (although I'm guessing you've had your interview) - the location is pretty irrelevant, the occasion is not. An interview is an interview and you always want to put your best put forward, and that best foot better be well dressed!

Last edited:
I have only seen my husband (executive) in a 3 piece at extremly formal occasions. cocktails and business meetings are suit and tie or dress shirt, slacks, and tie w/possibly a sport jacket depending on the weather. He said his suggestion would depend on whether 3 piece suits are in vogue in the country your in at present.

However, as an individual who HAS interviewed at McDonalds and MayTag and Walmart, I would NEVER wear a suit, let alone a three piece, to interview for the positions I had in those companies. I have known interviewers to reject job applicants as too uppity in those situations (I do not believe that would be the case for a professional program.) Slacks and a shirt are appropriate for some interviews.

When I was conducting interviews at the zoo, I gave the most credance to individuals who wore nice clothing with shoes that could handle a treck through the back of the zoo. Generally that meant slacks and a nice shirt. I wouldn't fault someone for dressing up farther, but if they wore shoes that couldn't get them across the grounds behind the scenes, I questioned their common sense.

Anyways, how did the interview go?