Externship Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbabs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I’m a first year at KSU & will be doing my first externship next week. It’s a small 2 doctor mixed animal clinic so I just wanted to get a feel for what I should be wearing.
I figured for large animal stuff (which is what I want to do) definitely boots and jeans with coveralls but is jeans and a scrub top good enough for small animal? With sneakers. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would call or email the practice and ask. It’s probably fine whatever you wear but it’s also probably better to hear it direct from the source rather than internet strangers. I’ve been in mixed animal practices where that would be totally fine and some where you’d be underdressed.

Edit: if for some reason they don’t get back to you, I’d be sure to take several options day 1. In general I think it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed (to a certain extent...obviously I wouldn’t show up in a suit haha) so day 1 I’d probably personally go with khakis and a polo for the first day unless they’ve told you it’s more casual. But you could always wear the jeans but take khakis/polo + a set of scrubs + coveralls. That way you can adapt to whatever everyone else has on.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!
I’m a first year at KSU & will be doing my first externship next week. It’s a small 2 doctor mixed animal clinic so I just wanted to get a feel for what I should be wearing.
I figured for large animal stuff (which is what I want to do) definitely boots and jeans with coveralls but is jeans and a scrub top good enough for small animal? With sneakers. Thanks in advance!
I agree with JaynaAli about calling ahead to check. Because it's a mixed animal practice perhaps they would be okay with jeans, but some small animal / specialty practices might prefer you to be in business casual.