DPT 2020-2021 Cycle Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: Southeast Missouri State
Major: Pre-pt
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-req GPA: 3.2
GRE: 145 V 151 Q 4.0 AW

Extra curricular: student medical society, student activity council, health and wellness club

Volunteer: Project Charlie (went to an elementary school once a week and taught students the importance of being nice to others, saying no to drugs, etc). Worked with individuals with Parkinson’s and helped lead the group in different exercises. Helped hand out food to healthcare workers during COVID. Helped out with a couple different charity runs

Hours: over 1000 working as a rehab aide at an outpatient clinic, 35 at another outpatient clinic, and a total of 40 at 2 different inpatient hospitals

References: 2 PT, and my science advisor/professor

Applied: Midwestern (IL), Midwestern (AZ), Creighton, Old Dominion, Gannon University, Bradley, Governors State, Mount Union, Mount Saint Mary’s, High Point University

Interviews: Mount Union, High Point
Acceptances:
Rejections: Creighton
Waitlist: Midwestern AZ, Mount Union, High Point (active list)
Update: Just got accepted to Mount Union!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
University: Oregon State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.84
Pre-Req GPA: 3.88
GRE: 157V | 156Q | 5.0 W
Hours: ~200 outpatient
EC: 12-year Air Force veteran, CrossFit L1 coach & intermittent competitor since 2010 w/ various seminars, LFL tackle football, BLM wildland firefighter, hundreds of volunteer hours, various military medals
Hours: ~200 hours all outpatient
LoR: 1 Vet Affairs supervisor, 1 professor, 1 PT clinic director
-
Applied: Oregon State University-Cascades, KU Med, Regis Univ, University of Colorado Anschutz
Waitlisted: KU Med
Awaiting: OSU-Cascades
Interviews: Regis & CU Anschutz (mid December)
Rejected: None yet
My daughter is also waiting to hear from OSU-Cascades about interviews...we thought they would have reached out by now since they said early Dec.

Reactions: 1 user
My daughter is also waiting to hear from OSU-Cascades about interviews...we thought they would have reached out by now since they said early Dec.
I think we will hear on Friday, the day after their informational thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard anything back from Regis??
Yeah! I got off the waitlist for an interview. However, I realized that when I didn't initially get the interview, I realized I didn't really want to go there so I declined the invite!

Yeah! I got off the waitlist for an interview. However, I realized that when I didn't initially get the interview, I realized I didn't really want to go there so I declined the invite!
When did you get off the waitlist? Im still anxiously waiting and I know the interviews are next week.

When did you get off the waitlist? Im still anxiously waiting and I know the interviews are next week.
I got off of the waitlist on Monday 12/7 and I had to reply by 12/8. It was for an interview specifically for next Tuesday at 11:25am.

Eastern Washington University
Major: Exercise Science, Pre-Physical Therapy (2017)
GPA: 3.64
PTCAS: 3.54
Last 60 credits: 3.7
Pre-Req: 3.7
Major GPA: 3.82
GRE: V153, Q150, AW4.0
ECs: Personal training for six years, XC coach for 3, various volunteering experience,
Observation hours: ~400

Applying to: Eastern Washington University, University of Washington, Pacific, Rocky Mountain, University of Montana, Idaho State, University of Puget Sound, University of Colorado, New Mexico, Northern Arizona

Interviews: Rocky Mountain, Idaho State New Mexico
Acceptance:
Rejected: NAU and UColorado
Accepted into Idaho State University

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Undergrad: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major: Community Health, Minor Business
Overall GPA: 3.37
Science GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-4.0 school dependent
GRE: V-155 / Q-154 / AW-5.0

Employment:
Assistant Dance Coach for a high school competitive team, Walmart Cashier on and off throughout college breaks, Meijer bakery employee one summer, Choreographer for a different high school dance team
Volunteer:
Volunteer Dance Coach for high school competitive team (before I was hired as the assistant coach), Animal Shelter, Hospital ER, local women’s shelter, election judge
Extracurricular Activities:
Intern to the Director of Hospital Operations (semester hospital internship), Study Abroad (Sydney, Australia), Miss Lake in the Hills scholarship pageant queen, Vitality Dance Team member and recital choreographer, Velocity Dance Team Co-captain and exec board (PR & Social Media), Future Health Care Executives club, Mexican Student Organization, Alpha Chi Omega sorority member & recruitment board
Observation Hours:
635 paid inpatient skilled nursing (verified), 658 paid outpatient clinic (verified), 101 volunteer outpatient neuro rehab clinic (unverified, company merged and staff is now gone)
LORs:
PT/Facility Manager at the outpatient clinic I work at, additional PT I work with there, chemistry II professor at my community college (recent class)

Applying to:
Illinois: Midwestern, UIC, Governors State, Rosalind Franklin, NIU, Northwestern
Out of State: Chatham, Franklin Pierce AZ, Thomas Jefferson, St. Augustine TX, Washington St. Louis, Wisconsin Madison

Interviews: Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, NIU, Rosalind Franklin

Acceptances: St Augustine (Austin)
UPDATE:

Accepted: Rosalind Franklin, Northern Illinois, Midwestern IL, Chatham, Thomas Jefferson, St Augustine Austin

Waitlisted: Northwestern

Rejections: none

Waiting: UIC, Governors State

Thank you! Congrats to you too! I’m not sure yet. I’m still waiting to see what my other options are in California.
Good luck for the other schools! If you decide to attend, it'd be cool to have a fellow SDN-er :)

My daughter was offered an interview :) How about you?
Awesome, congrats to her and good luck! I am interviewing on January 15th :1geek: If you/her have questions about the area or faculty, etc., feel free to DM me!

EC: 12-year Air Force veteran, CrossFit L1 coach & intermittent competitor since 2010 w/ various seminars, LFL tackle football, BLM wildland firefighter, hundreds of volunteer hours, various military medals
Hours: ~200 hours all outpatient
-
Applied: Oregon State University-Cascades, KU Med, Regis Univ, University of Colorado Anschutz
Update: Interviewing with OSU-Cascades 1/15/2021

• Care
Hi everyone! I have my interviews with University of Colorado tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday. These are my first interviews and I'm suuuuper nervous; does anyone have any advice? What kinds of questions should I prepare for?

Need some advice! So I got accepted into a program and went ahead and accepted the offer of admission in order to save my spot. The non-refundable deposit is due January 8th, but I just got an interview invitation from the school that’s my first choice and it’s not until the week after the deposit for the other school is due. I obviously think I should pay that deposit when it’s due just in case I don’t get in anywhere else so would it be pointless to accept the interview invitation at my first choice school?

Need some advice! So I got accepted into a program and went ahead and accepted the offer of admission in order to save my spot. The non-refundable deposit is due January 8th, but I just got an interview invitation from the school that’s my first choice and it’s not until the week after the deposit for the other school is due. I obviously think I should pay that deposit when it’s due just in case I don’t get in anywhere else so would it be pointless to accept the interview invitation at my first choice school?
It's really up to you and how you compare the two programs, imo. I don't think it would be pointless to accept the interview invitation because you can always decline that later if you change your mind. Some things to think about:
- Are you comparing your #1 vs #2 choice? Or #1 vs #8 choice? How much do you prefer #1 over the other program?
- Can you financially handle paying two deposits if you get into your first choice?
- Which school will end up costing you more in the end, considering moving, cost of living, overall tuition? That deposit may end up being a negligible difference and it may be worth paying it to reserve your spot, just in case.
- What are the statistics of your #1 school from last year of people accepted vs. seats vs. interviewees? How strong do you think your application and interviewing skills are?

Maybe someone else with experience in this can chime in if programs allow offer extensions? I feel like it's constructed this way with deadlines to make students make a choice. Just some thoughts, maybe that can help clear your mind a bit as you think through the options! :1geek:

Hi! I'm in a similar situation. I got into a top school; however, it is by far the most expensive school. The deposit is due Jan 15th and financial aid/scholarships aren't released until February. I have upcoming interviews with other schools (that are higher on my list and more attainable in terms of tuition), but I think I may put the deposit (non-refundable) down, as it is the only school I have been guaranteed a spot for. If I get into the other schools, I'll pull out of the program I put a deposit down for. Although it is a lot of money, in the grand scheme of life, it isn't that much and it is very important to me that I attend somewhere this year. PM me if you want to talk about it, because I feel like were in a super similar situation!

Reactions: 2 users
Final update - phew!

Applied to:
Illinois: Midwestern, UIC, Governors State, Rosalind Franklin, NIU, Northwestern
Out of State: Chatham, Thomas Jefferson, St. Augustine Austin

Accepted: UIC, Rosalind Franklin, Northern Illinois, Midwestern IL, Chatham, Thomas Jefferson, St Augustine Austin, (& declined GovSt interview because I had already been accepted to my top choice)

I will be attending UIC!!
If you are as well, I’d love to connect!

It's really up to you and how you compare the two programs, imo. I don't think it would be pointless to accept the interview invitation because you can always decline that later if you change your mind. Some things to think about:
- Are you comparing your #1 vs #2 choice? Or #1 vs #8 choice? How much do you prefer #1 over the other program?
- Can you financially handle paying two deposits if you get into your first choice?
- Which school will end up costing you more in the end, considering moving, cost of living, overall tuition? That deposit may end up being a negligible difference and it may be worth paying it to reserve your spot, just in case.
- What are the statistics of your #1 school from last year of people accepted vs. seats vs. interviewees? How strong do you think your application and interviewing skills are?

Maybe someone else with experience in this can chime in if programs allow offer extensions? I feel like it's constructed this way with deadlines to make students make a choice. Just some thoughts, maybe that can help clear your mind a bit as you think through the options! :1geek:
Thank you for the advice! I went ahead and accepted the interview!

Hi! I'm in a similar situation. I got into a top school; however, it is by far the most expensive school. The deposit is due Jan 15th and financial aid/scholarships aren't released until February. I have upcoming interviews with other schools (that are higher on my list and more attainable in terms of tuition), but I think I may put the deposit (non-refundable) down, as it is the only school I have been guaranteed a spot for. If I get into the other schools, I'll pull out of the program I put a deposit down for. Although it is a lot of money, in the grand scheme of life, it isn't that much and it is very important to me that I attend somewhere this year. PM me if you want to talk about it, because I feel like were in a super similar situation!
Yeah I thought about it and went ahead and accepted the interview!

Final update - phew!

Applied to:
Out of State: Chatham, Thomas Jefferson, St. Augustine Austin

Accepted: UIC, Rosalind Franklin, Northern Illinois, Midwestern IL, Chatham, Thomas Jefferson, St Augustine Austin, (& declined GovSt interview because I had already been accepted to my top choice)

I will be attending UIC!!
If you are as well, I’d love to connect!
Congrats on your decision! I just got an interview invite to Midwestern IL and I see that you got accepted there so I assume you interviewed with them. Could you tell me what the interview was like?

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!!
Here are my stats:

University: Northeastern University
Major: Behavioral Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.88
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 162 Q, 158 V, 4.0 AW

Observation Hours: 1,000 hours outpatient ortho; 32 hours outpatient ortho/sports medicine
LORs: 2PTs, 1 Professor
ECs: summa cum laude, dean’s list, Nu Rho Psi Neuroscience Honor Society, Women’s Interdisciplinary Society of Entrepreneurship- mentor, NUCALLS Culture and Language Learning Society for Spanish, CHAARG, NEURONS, Southbank Mosaics (volunteer), CPR cert, tutor
Research: Brigham and Women’s Hospital Division of Sleep and Circadian Disorders and Lab of Wildlife Ecology and Behavior

Applied to: Chapman (both cohorts), Rocky Mountain University, Duke, Northwestern, Belmont
Interviews: Duke (10/5), Rocky Mountain (11/6)
Rejections: Duke (10/16), Belmont (withdrew my application after getting an email about interviewing for a place on their waitlist in Feb)
Acceptances: Northwestern (10/5), Rocky Mountain (11/10)
Update: Accepted to Chapman's fall cohort (12/18)

School: The Master’s University (Major Kinesiology (PrePT))
GPA: 3.92, prereqGPA: 3.9.
GRE: 158V, 157Q, 4.0W

Hours: 500 hours as an aide in an outpatient clinic, 20 hours observing inpatient, 10 observing acute rehab. I also have ~1000hrs at my current clinic as a tech and 1000 more in progress.

Experiences: ASB leadership, student body chaplain, RA, semester abroad in Israel, and leading a student Global Outreach team to serve in Africa, taught a 1st grade class at church for 2 years.
Letters of rec: 1 from my professor (chair of the kines dept), 1 from my boss (clinical director/DPT) and 1 from another DPT.

Applied: UNC-CH, Cal State Northridge
Accepted: UNC (#1 off the waitlist). I’ll be headed there in the fall!

University: University of Cincinnati
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.55
Pre-Req GPA: 3.39-3.46 (Depending on school)
LORs: 2 PTs (inpatient/outpatient), 1 Prof (A&P I and II), 1 Prof/supervisor/research mentor
GRE: (281); Not high/competitive 😅 AWA- 4
*I applied to more schools that reviewed applications holistically and didn’t require the GRE for admissions

Observation Hours: 150 hours (Most hours were in the inpatient setting with the addition of outpatient pediatric, and general orthopedic and sports medicine

Extra-Curricular: Research Coordinator for Neuro lab, Patient Transporter, Lead Ambassador, Warehouse Associate, Research Assistant for Children’s Psych lab

Volunteer: 8 service learning experiences throughout my sophomore and junior year (2017-2019) w/ 2 reoccurring

Honors: Deans List (Spring 2016, Summer 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Fall 2020)

Applied: Ohio State University, University of Toledo, Mount St. Joseph University, Ohio University, Youngstown State University, Thomas Jefferson University, Chatham University, Duke University, University of Scranton, Washington University of St Louis

Acceptances: Wash U St. Louis (11/11/2020), Chatham U (11/25/2020), Youngstown State University (11/30/2020), University of Toledo (12/18/2020)

Waitlisted: TJU (10/22/2020), OSU (12/18/2020)

Rejections: MSJ (10/02/2020), OU (11/23/2020)

Interviews: OSU Early Decision (09/11/2020: deferred to regular admissions), TJU (10/08/2020), Chatham (11/07/2020), University of Toledo (12/05/2020)

Will be committing to the University of Toledo’s DPT program :)

Goodluck to everyone this cycle!!! #Classof2024

Last edited:
-
I have accepted an offer to University of Colorado - Anschutz!

I was just accepted to Northeastern’s program! Right now I’m on the fence between Northeastern and BostonU. Tuition at BU is so high but I received a scholarship form them that brought tuition down to something reasonable (roughly $15,000 less than Northeastern’s tuition). However, NEU has the co-op program which allows for 6 months of full time employment during the program. I’m trying to decide on the school that would have a lower cost of attendance. Does anyone have more info about the co-op employers for NEU and how much the participants in the co-op program get paid?

University: Howard University
Major: Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.59-3.69
GRE: 145V | 163Q | 4.0 W
Hours: ≈900 outpatient (tech + 2 volunteer )
EC: President of 2 student organizations, 4-5 various executive board positions for student organizations, honors society, volunteering tutor @ a prison (300hrs), CPR certified, Part time job as a teachers aide at a preschool
LoR: 2 professors, 1 PT

Applied to: emory u, Chapman u (fall), temple u, west coast u,
Interviews: Temple (11/20), Emory (1/8)
Waiting to hear from: Emory
Denied: West Coast (wanted degrees completed by February but I graduate in May)
Acceptance: Temple (12/4)
Waitlist: Chapman Fall Cohort (1/11)
Final update!!
Accepted: Temple (11/20), Emory( 1/20)
Waitlisted: Chapman Fall Cohort Tier 4 out of 6 (1/11)
Denied: West Coast university( didn’t undergrad degree completed before application deadline)

will be attending: Emory University !! 🥳🎊

Reactions: 3 users
Final Update:

University: The University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Overall GPA: 3.7

Pre-req: 3.6-3.8 Depending on the school

GRE: 145V, 154 Q, 5.0 W

Hours: 101 in 3 different settings all OP( mostly because of COVID)

EC: Lots of leadership positions through school, coaching, TA, Volunteering at the Foodbank, pharmacy tech, 2 different research lab experiences

Applied: Duke, Marymount, Elon, Wingate, High Point

Accepted: Wingate, Marymount, Duke(was waitlisted and accepted in January!)
Haven't heard back: High Point, Elon

Will be attending Duke next year!