dpm to md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree, I hear the DO/ DPM comparison all of the time here and it is really not a valid arguement. DOs have ran their own osteopathic hospitals for decades and they had a free standing healthcare system that has blended over the years with the allopathic world. There are no podiatric hospitals. And DOs as family physicians as well, not in a hospital system, have fueled the acceptance in the public's eyes. It is a completely different scenario.

I agree and understand. The reason I have mentioned the DO conversion is only to state that a path has been laid to integrate two degrees/programs. That is why DO/DPM comparisons are made. DPMs do not have a fundamental treatment theory that differs for allopathic medicine which in theory DOs do.

I do think that you are 100% right on why DOs have gained acceptance. A DPM is a DPM and that is what they should be. They will never been as integrated or accepted as DOs. I'm okay with that. I'll save lives 1 foot at a time.

Members don't see this ad.

It's insulting to read that podiatry students think MD's should move out of the territory they're trying to invade (as Dr_Feelgood posted earlier).

When and where did I say that??? I don't like to use words like territory and invade; I would say you don't drink another mans kool-aid. I'd just like a quote, lets use good EBM please.

I can understand that point. Well knowing the shortage of orthos, why do foot and ankle orthopods still exist??? Would it not benefit our patients for orthopods to pursure other areas and let the pods take the lower extremity call???

I am guessing this is where you feel I said that DPMs should replace MDs. If you read the conversation w/ dawg, I was posing hypothetical questions to get a better understanding of his beliefs. AKA I was playing devil's advocate. If you think that I want to take the foot and ankle away from orthos your wrong. I personally prefer orthopaedic textbooks and theories to podiatric. I think that orthopods are able to use their knowledge from other surgical joint procedures and apply them to the foot and ankle.

Interesting take. The same question might be posed toward podiatry. And is.

I would not disagree with this approach either. I would like to see a universal education standard set which would include DPMs or integrate them into MD programs (similar to 2015). I like podiatry is very similar to dentistry. It is an attempt to specialize earlier in training. Should all areas of medicine go to such a formula. This could be argued also. Have you ever heard of the hedgehog theory? It is an interesting thought. Will it happen? NO? Should it? NO. But if we are taking about theoretic changes in medical or podiatric education lets think outside the box and stop arguing about who can pee the farthest.

Northern, I appreciate your views but I think it is tough coming into a conversation when this topic has been discussed before and some oldies (like me) just want to shake the box b/c it is the same old crap just a different thread.