Don't go to Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firm

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's not worth it. You'll end up graduating with $500,000+ in debt and will spend your entire life working in a corporation paying it off. The dental ship has sailed. You have been warned.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, withdrawing my application now

• Haha
Reactions: 28 users
So what should we do if we want to aspire to bigger and better things. I really want a nice income and that's the only way I see it happening

It's not worth it. You'll end up graduating with $500,000+ in debt and will spend your entire life working in a corporation paying it off. The dental ship has sailed. You have been warned.

Here we go again,
Happy as can be.
All good pals and jolly good company.

Reactions: 3 users
It's bad now, will only be worse when you graduate.
Which is why I'm withdrawing my application. Thanks for the heads up. You can leave now knowing you saved one life at least.

Reactions: 2 users
Which is why I'm withdrawing my application. Thanks for the heads up. You can leave now knowing you saved one life at least.

Make that two people.
I shall not apply to dental school!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So what should we do if we want to aspire to bigger and better things. I really want a nice income and that's the only way I see it happening

If you are going to spend $500,000+ then I bet you can create a business that will make you a much bigger income than dentistry.

Is there even any private schools that charge over 500k for tuition?? Maybe if you're an international student..

Maybe if you spent more time working and less time trolling students you could make some money and not be so miserable. Go away already, you suck, no one likes you here just like in your real life. Bye

Reactions: 16 users
Are you finished?
Michael-Scott-The-Office-Thats-What-She-Said-Meme.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Are you finished?
It doesn't take finishing 4 years of school to know what debt you'll graduate with. Some people have scholarships or money saved up. Crazy, huh?

Maybe if you spent more time working and less time trolling students you could make some money and not be so miserable. Go away already, you suck, no one likes you here just like in your real life. Bye

Ouch. The anger is real.

Just got in two days ago to my state school. Right now tuition and fees are 33k per year. Even with cost of living and increases in tuition over the next four years, I'm still gonna graduate with half of the number you're attempting to scare us with, before interest of course.

Like a BOSS!

Reactions: 3 users
It doesn't take finishing 4 years of school to know what debt you'll graduate with. Some people have scholarships or money saved up. Crazy, huh?

When I was in school my tuition doubled from 1st year of dental school to 4th year and I went to a state school.

Don't get mad at the messenger. I'm trying to help you.

The anger is absolutely real. Some washed up retired dentist has nothing better to do with his time than sit around all day bashing dental students. Dude is a loser.

It's bad now, will only be worse when you graduate.

Yeah, practicing dentists said the same in the '70s and early '80s. That didn't stop dentists from doing quite well for themselves for 20 years which followed.

When I was in school my tuition doubled from 1st year of dental school to 4th year and I went to a state school.
Do schools let you pay for four years tuition up front?

Just got in two days ago to my state school. Right now tuition and fees are 33k per year. Even with cost of living and increases in tuition over the next four years, I'm still gonna graduate with half of the number you're attempting to scare us with, before interest of course.
Don't get me started on that interest! It's criminal what they are doing.

Reactions: 1 user
If that happens now with how expensive most schools already are, I'll agree with you. For now, nah. Did you wake up this morning and catch a glimpse of your neighbor's lawn or something? Must have been nice and green!

If that happens now with how expensive most schools already are, I'll agree with you. For now, nah. Did you wake up this morning and catch a nice glimpse of your neighbor's lawn or something? Must have been nice and green!

No. We were having a discussion about it on the professional board this morning after hearing about more schools opening and dental students just graduating. If you don't believe me just sign up for Dentaltown and read some of the experiences of the new grads.

Yeah, practicing dentists said the same in the '70s and early '80s. That didn't stop dentists from doing quite well for themselves for 20 years which followed.
Yeah my interviewer at UCLA, who must have been pushing 80, was telling me how him and his colleagues used to think they were going to see the end of dentistry as well.

Just because @Firm is saying something you don't like, doesn't give anyone free-reign to unleash a torrent of ad hominems... Certainly some of what Firm is saying is true. The interest on student loans IS criminal, and I hope that will be a factor in electing the next president.

Reactions: 18 users
@Firm , I'm sure you mean well, but considering that many people here worked their butts off throughout college and received an acceptance that they'd been working hard for less than 72 hours ago, most people may not be in a receptive mood to your information. The main problem here is the timing of this post, not the content. Still, thank you for taking the time to come on here and put this information up.

FWIW, I agree, that 500K in loans is a VERY big burden, and I personally will not go to dental school if I have that much in loans. I've said it on these forums before, and I'll say it again. My personal max limit on student loans is set at $250K.

Reactions: 4 users