Doing OMFS after practicing as GP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiator2020

Reaction score
Hello all,
I wonder is it difficult to do OMFS after practicing for 3-4 years. Simply I was trying to pay my loans before I commit to more training. What are my chances of acceptance. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it’s possible and I’ve met some.

You need a good score on your exam like everyone else, along with a top rank and grades. You also need to demonstrate commitment and interest to the field. Just because you’ve been in practice does not disqualify you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not only that, you have personal experience with what the OMS must understand…namely, what is the best thing for the patient, and that the patient’s general dentist is the quarterback.

You would make a great OMS.

One of our noncats was a general dentist first and they are by far the hardest working noncat we have (and probably best first year overall). They came in with better patient management and treatment planning skills than those of us who came straight from school. I know someone else who matched straight into residency after being a general dentist, so that’s possible too w/o doing a noncat.

Reactions: 2 users
This is so nice to know Doctor! Really appreciate your input to this conversation!

Would you be able to tell us what program are you at dent2018istry?

Would you be able to tell us what program are you at dent2018istry?
I don’t think the program I am at is important and I would like to keep some level of anonymity. I am at a well known southern 6 year program.

Reactions: 1 user