Does practicing the physical exam on your classmates make you feel uncomfortable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm.

I guess my opinion is not well received by most of the latest posters. I can live with that...

One thing that I would like to make clear is that I'm not imposing my opinion on anyone. I'm simply stating it and not apologizing for it.

How about this for an argument: quit being a judgmental hypocrite.

From your very first post on this topic:

If some students think that their hang ups about being touched or being seen by their fellow students (excluding the genital, rectal and breast parts) take precedence over this, and the other more obvious benefits of practicing PE skills on each other, I think there are some serious issues. I totally understand feeling uncomfortable and awkward in these situations, but the gain is so much bigger in comparison!

When you judge others for not sharing your opinion without so much as an attempt to understand their side, you open yourself up to posts that call your post full of crap. Why? Because it is.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm being judgmental. Exactly in what way?

I voiced an opinion that you clearly don't agree with, and yet can't find the words to contest... Give me something to work with, not just a vague accusation.

Actually, I'm certain by now you can't come up with anything... Anyone else can help eagertobemd point out some specific fault in my reasoning?

I Really don't claim to have any superior knowledge than anyone else. I expressed my thoughts and have gotten no specific rebuttals.

Read my posts carefully and refute them. I might be wrong, but so far I have heard not a single valid argument against my position.

So I'm being judgmental. Exactly in what way?

When you imply that it's okay for students to be forced to learn on one another when there are other options to learn these physical exam maneuvers, it's judgmental to say that there's something inherently wrong with the individuals who object to such a practice.

You stated that you voiced an opinion; big whoop, not terribly profound since you didn't bother to explain how it was you weren't being judgmental. That, and it's not a great rebuttal on your part to kick back and say "I don't see how there's anything wrong with what I said." A statement was quoted for you, start there and work back to everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though I doubt it'll make anyone think differently, I'm going to add my $0.02. I go to a school that's very good at making sure everyone feels okay about the physical exam being performed on them (making sure girls can work with other girls and boys with boys if that makes them comfortable) - I never really thought about it until we got to the heart part of the exam.

I was already partnered with a male, and I am a female who is very well endowed in the chest area. I had never felt uncomfortable with physicians listening to my heart or anything, but having a classmate do it, while I was sitting in a bra was extremely uncomfortable, especially when we got to the part of feeling for the PMI. Its obviously difficult to feel on me and I had to ask him to stop because I was getting more and more uncomfortable. He had no problem with that, and he found someone else to find it on so he had the experience and we moved on. It wasn't a big deal in the end, but it does make me aware of what others go through.

I don't need a fellow student performing an exam on me to know what it feels like - I've known what a physical exam is since I was a child. We've all been to doctors, so we've all been through a physical exam as a patient. I know there are things that we do in school that may have never been done (like the PMI), but I still don't believe it has to be done on me by a colleague just so I know "what it feels like." We all have imaginations, so we can all figure it out for ourselves. I feel very lucky that I had a very respectful partner - and I was respectful of him when it came to things like feeling for the femoral artery. I already knew him from our semester of interviewing (we stayed in the same groups), but if I had been in a new group I probably would have just asked to be with another female.

If a male (or a female with smaller breasts) ever wants to try to tell me that I shouldn't feel uncomfortable, and it's a "good experience for me to go through," my response is going to be: "You've never been in my shoes and you never will, therefore who the f are you to tell me how I feel?"

Again, just my experience and my $0.02 so take it with a grain of salt.

So you're saying that you'd be more comfortable with a female doing the exam on you? My school automatically pairs women with women (with women preceptors) and men with men - so problem solved.

At my school we're randomly assigned partners for O.M.M. lab (D.O.) school.

I really appreciate it, because I get to practice on people of every gender, weight, muscle mass, and any other imaginable condition- and I know I'd probably limit myself with a few close friends if they didn't make me. I'm glad the school is willing to ignore complaints about this kind of thing to make sure we get a good education.

And yes we could get random patients, and it would fix all of these problems, sure.....but I really don't mind being a patient. I think being a patient does teach me a lot...but I won't even try and make that argument.

If you aren't comfortable being a volunteer- you can pay the salary of the standardized patients we use instead, because I certainly don't care to.

I really appreciate it, because I get to practice on people of every gender, weight, muscle mass, and any other imaginable condition- and I know I'd probably limit myself with a few close friends if they didn't make me. I'm glad the school is willing to ignore complaints about this kind of thing to make sure we get a good education.

And yes we could get random patients, and it would fix all of these problems, sure.....but I really don't mind being a patient. I think being a patient does teach me a lot...but I won't even try and make that argument.

If you aren't comfortable being a volunteer- you can pay the salary of the standardized patients we use instead, because I certainly don't care to.
News Flash: Your school isn't doing this to teach you some valuable lesson. They are doing this because they can't afford to hire standardized patients. Now that we are clear on that, carry on.

Your med school class must be pretty unusual. My class is mostly young adults in relatively good shape.

Your med school class must be pretty unusual. My class is mostly young adults in relatively good shape.

:thumbup::thumbup: I was thinking the same thing. Although all the long hours and crappy eating have taken me out of that category now. I'm even getting friggin gray hairs. sigh ......

For what its worth, I doubt it matters all that much in the end how much or with whom you have practiced PE's with. It's just important to know how to do a generally adequate exam, however that goal is reached. Your skills will ultimately be honed on real patients with real pathologies, hopefully with the guidance of your residents and attendings during the clinical years and in residency. If one doesn't want to practice with classmates it's perfectly understandable. Everyone has different comfort zones and learning styles.

Hell to the no! It definitely matters who you practice with. You don't want to be stuck with old stinky feet or someone who doesn't prepare for the practice session because then you either want to run from the smell (thus cutting your session short) or you're stuck there an extra long time 'cause you end up teaching it to your unprepared partner, which I guess it fine, but really not the way I would want to spend my Step 1 studying time (my school had Step 1 and the PE test around the same time :eek:).

Yeah for run-ons :laugh:

:thumbup::thumbup: I was thinking the same thing. Although all the long hours and crappy eating have taken me out of that category now. I'm even getting friggin gray hairs. sigh ......

For what its worth, I doubt it matters all that much in the end how much or with whom you have practiced PE's with. It's just important to know how to do a generally adequate exam, however that goal is reached. Your skills will ultimately be honed on real patients with real pathologies, hopefully with the guidance of your residents and attendings during the clinical years and in residency. If one doesn't want to practice with classmates it's perfectly understandable. Everyone has different comfort zones and learning styles.

Not that I would necessarily be opposed but what are we talking here. Am I taking off my boxers so you can feel my femoral and see where it is? Am I standing around in boxers/briefs while you try to feel it through the cotton? Putting hand down boxers?

At my school we definitely learned on each other. I appreciated the uncomfortable moments of feeling a femoral and exposing body parts. It just taught me how to properly warn and cover a patient throughout the physical exam. Short of exposing our genital, breasts and buttocks we do every single part of every single physical exam on each other. The only time we did anything over clothes was when we had to palpate the ischial bursa on each other. If females were uncomfortable with a male partner, they could request another female but I think that was rare. Males had no choice in the matter :rolleyes:

We also do IVs and venipunctures on each other. I'm surprised that it's not like this everywhere actually.

At my school we definitely learned on each other. I appreciated the uncomfortable moments of feeling a femoral and exposing body parts. It just taught me how to properly warn and cover a patient throughout the physical exam. Short of exposing our genital, breasts and buttocks we do every single part of every single physical exam on each other. The only time we did anything over clothes was when we had to palpate the ischial bursa on each other. If females were uncomfortable with a male partner, they could request another female but I think that was rare. Males had no choice in the matter :rolleyes:

We also do IVs and venipunctures on each other. I'm surprised that it's not like this everywhere actually.

Can I request a female? :laugh: jk

So describe to me how this works. We all walk into a room and the professor says "prepare for physical exam practice" (strip). Everyone takes off their clothes except boxers and we go do a physical exams on each other? Non-exposure of genitalia? How are you gonna feel my femoral without pulling my boxers off at least a little or putting me in a gown?

I suppose some are concerned that this might create awkwardness. Like in seinfeld when that girl walks in on george and laughs about how small it is. Thank god I'm going to medical school somewhere where it's warm!!!

On the other hand, some of my closest (platonic) relationships have been with women who had shown me their breasts (truth or dare situation in highschool) and who had in turn seen my pee pee. Lol it was only awkward for a while and they stopped talking about it after a week.

Can I request a female? :laugh: jk

So describe to me how this works. We all walk into a room and the professor says "prepare for physical exam practice" (strip). Everyone takes off their clothes except boxers and we go do a physical exams on each other? Non-exposure of genitalia? How are you gonna feel my femoral without pulling my boxers off at least a little or putting me in a gown?

I suppose some are concerned that this might create awkwardness. Like in seinfeld when that girl walks in on george and laughs about how small it is. Thank god I'm going to medical school somewhere where it's warm!!!

On the other hand, some of my closest (platonic) relationships have been with women who had shown me their breasts (truth or dare situation in highschool) and who had in turn seen my pee pee. Lol it was only awkward for a while and they stopped talking about it after a week.

Well we are told beforehand to wear clothes that are easy to take off. We go into the practice room and get a patient gown. Girls usually go to the bathroom to change. Guys just change in the room. We are covered at all times with a sheet and gown with only parts of the body exposed at any instant. No one is standing around in their underwear unless they really want to.

For the femoral, we only pull down the underwear slightly and at an angle. No one has to pull it down all the way to expose their hee-haw or hoo-hoo, got it? ;)

Yes cold rooms are always a problem...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well we are told beforehand to wear clothes that are easy to take off. We go into the practice room and get a patient gown. Girls usually go to the bathroom to change. Guys just change in the room. We are covered at all times with a sheet and gown with only parts of the body exposed at any instant. No one is standing around in their underwear unless they really want to.

For the femoral, we only pull down the underwear slightly and at an angle. No one has to pull it down all the way to expose their hee-haw or hoo-hoo, got it? ;)

Yes cold rooms are always a problem...

Eff that *thought bubble: Lindsay Lohan, Lindsay Lohan, Lindsay Lohan, LINDSAY LOHAN!!!!*

Not that I would necessarily be opposed but what are we talking here. Am I taking off my boxers so you can feel my femoral and see where it is? Am I standing around in boxers/briefs while you try to feel it through the cotton? Putting hand down boxers?

You're not taking off your boxers, but at my school, we did have to palpate the femoral artery on each other as well as "palpate" (supposedly) inguinal lymph nodes. I can see how that would be uncomfortable for more modest students.

Wouldn't that just make you... uh, an innie?

You don't find Lindsay Lohan Attractive? Are you very sure you're not a homosexual? lol

What if I want to go boxer-less? lol would that be allowed too? :laugh:

I've modeled for art students once and actually liked it!!!

I just can't overlook that degree of train wreck-ness. How about Olivia Wilde? Mila Kunis maybe?

Mmmmmm:

*thought bubble: Olivia Wilde, Olivia Wilde, Olivia Wilde, OLIVIA WILDE!!!*

You have good taste my friend. Good Taste.

Okay, just wanted to confirm, that the Physical Examination where you would have take off your shirt is completely voluntary at most schools? You can just observe if you want, correct?

Last edited:
Okay, just wanted to confirm, that the Physical Examination where you would have take off your shirt is completely voluntary at most schools? You can just observe if you want, correct?

Our PE course (in an MD program, not DO) was pretty low-pressure on removing clothes. Some people did, some people didn't. We were asked to wear T-shirts and shorts, that kind of thing, but not everybody obliged. Nothing bad ever came of it.

Our PE course (in an MD program, not DO) was pretty low-pressure on removing clothes. Some people did, some people didn't. We were asked to wear T-shirts and shorts, that kind of thing, but not everybody obliged. Nothing bad ever came of it.

Okay, thanks! :) Hopefully, they will be lenient in OMM lab as well for DO schools.

At my med school, we learn all of our physical exam (except breast, pelvic, and rectal) by working with an instructor, using our classmates as "patients." For some of these instructional sessions, women were told in advance to "wear a sportsbra" to facilitate this. I sucked it up, but I'm really not crazy about taking my shirt off in front of a coed group of classmates. In fact, I felt pretty uncomfortable.

This is how it's been all year. I've had my male classmates poking around under my breast looking for my PMI, and I've had my suprapubic area palpated, etc.

I get it that it is good experience to "put yourself in your patient's shoes" and I think it's really important to learn the physical exam properly, but it also seems inappropriate that the school requires this of us. Am I wrong?

It's not awkward at all for me, although doing my first rectal exam was def awkward

I hope it's not awkward when I start this in med-school. I've already had some experience: When I did my basic EMT cert. we had to do a focused history and physical, as well as a rapid trauma exam. I (male) was in a group with 3 females. The exam wasn't really invasive (at least not for me) though I imagine the females could have been uncomfortable with me checking for ribcage stability by pressing in on the sides of their thoraces, and pressing down on their sternums. We also checked for femoral pulse etc but it was no big deal really. It was all done fully clothed etc. but if they were uncomfortable, they certainly didn't show it.

I sure hope they were OK with it, I'd feel terrible if I found out they weren't.

That is normal except maybe the suprapubic palpation. We normally skip that in our med school.

Wow, this is so strange. Am I in the only school were we don't do anything on each other? I did a venipuncture on a fellow student once, but he volunteered. We also do stuff like test each other's reflexes and the eye exam and stuff, but that's really the extent of it. I don't think I've ever even gone under the shirt for a heart and lungs exam on another med student. We just have standardized patients for everything, or we go to the hospital.

Okay, thanks! :) Hopefully, they will be lenient in OMM lab as well for DO schools.

At my school we wore t-shirts and shorts for OMM lab and PE...Not once did we ever take our shirts off or our shorts. Some guys (comfortable I assume), might pull their shirts up (not even take them off because nobody else did) if someone wanted to palpate their back. The only time I remember ever being told to lift up my shirt (again not off) was for the abdomen exam during PE. And even that lasted like a minute and it was done. And you are NOT going to learn anything by practicing for hours on a completely healthy partner. Most of us just did the exam as fast as possible and took off. You will have hundreds of patients to practice on during 3rd and 4th year.

Wow, this is so strange. Am I in the only school were we don't do anything on each other? I did a venipuncture on a fellow student once, but he volunteered. We also do stuff like test each other's reflexes and the eye exam and stuff, but that's really the extent of it. I don't think I've ever even gone under the shirt for a heart and lungs exam on another med student. We just have standardized patients for everything, or we go to the hospital.

We didn't either, except for drawing blood for heme. I mean, if we practiced on each other it was to prepare for OSCEs or whatever. There's a whole hospital full of patients to practice on right next door...

We didn't either, except for drawing blood for heme. I mean, if we practiced on each other it was to prepare for OSCEs or whatever. There's a whole hospital full of patients to practice on right next door...

Yeah...but the problem is that it's not supervised and the school doesnt really know if you are actually doing them or not....as opposed to being in a lab/classroom setting where they are watching your technique, fixing common errors, and answering questions. Maybe some schools dont care as much about that.

Our very initial demonstrations were on classmates, but now everything is with standardized patients. Many of us still take extra practice with each other, though.

Yeah...but the problem is that it's not supervised and the school doesnt really know if you are actually doing them or not....as opposed to being in a lab/classroom setting where they are watching your technique, fixing common errors, and answering questions. Maybe some schools dont care as much about that.

OR, they actually do the exact same thing but with real/standardized patients. Which is what happens with us. When learning the basics, we had standardized patients. 2-4 students per patient and an attending, we each did the exam while the attending watched and gave us pointers. After that, we upgraded to a SP per student pair, and then finally to one/student. All of these were done in our SP rooms so there were cameras, so when left alone with the patient the attending was watching and gave us pointers after it was done. We also had stuff like "murmur day" when ~12 patients with murmurs were invited to come in and we each rotated through with a resident and got to learn about the different types of murmurs. Same for pediatric exams, derm, and something else I can't remember.

This semester, each pair of students is assigned an actual hospital patient every week. We go in, do a history and basic physical, present to our attending (4 students/attending, so 2 patients per group), then we all go back in to see the two patients so we can learn from interesting findings, do whatever we missed, etc. Then we write a note.

I don't think we're being taught any less effectively because we're not awkwardly practicing our skills on our classmates. I'm glad that the school would rather shell out money to get SP's or ask the faculty to bring in their patients rather than make us do uncomfortable things on each other for no apparent reason. Maybe some schools don't care as much about that.

The LCME requires that all of your physical exam skills are evaluated on each clerkship in 3rd year. I believe there are similar evaluations (OSCE) requirements done in 2nd year. You are retaught physical exam stuff in 3rd year anyways, whether or not you've learned it before. It certainly helps to be on top of them though.

Fortunately, my entire group is girls except me, so I end up volunteering every time :).

I have to agree with using small groups (2-4) or using standardized patients. One could even argue that standardized patients are better because how is your fellow student (who's also learning this exam for the first time) know what it supposed to feel like. To me, that's one of the major benifits of using patients who've been through the process before.

As for putting yourself in the patient's shoes (so that you might empathize better), you're not being put in the patient's shoes. You're not friends with most of patients. If the relationship between you and the person you're practicing on doesn't make a difference, then nobody should have a problem learning to do a rectal exam on their Father.

:laugh: WTF are you serious? I say this because I would rather keep my relationship with my doc strictly professional and not have to deal with reminiscing about professor X while getting a breast exam or talking about weight gain, depression, incontinence, fungus, warts...of course if I needed to see a cardiologist and my former classmate was the #3 cardiologist in the country and living closeby, I wouldn't compromise my health and go see the average joe cardio guy.

Edit: It is possible you misunderstood and thought I meant I would not see any graduate of my school. I am talking about people in my class and those above/below me that I know. My GP is a graduate of my school and she is great.

I have to agree with this opinion. In most cases (assuming you buddy is not the #3 cardiologist in the country), it's discouraged to treat anyone you have a close personal relationship with. It's called conflict of interest and it alters your judgement. Therefore, while I might go to the guy that sat 5 rows behind me that I can't remember the name of (becuase it's now 7 yrs later, and we might as well be strangers), I wouldn't go see my friend from school (in the future) if I could avoid it.

Ok...well imagine the following situation. You're an average looking guy who has had trouble with girls in his lifetime and you have asked some of your colleagues out and have been rejected. These same people get to view and touch your naked body. Don't tell me that you think being a "medical professional" is enough to halt judgment from peers. Girls will talk about men behind their backs. They will say, "wow, that guy had a tiny dick" or "damn, he is ugly, I'd never date him". And even if they don't actually say it, they will think it. Not all women are like this but in my experience, unfortunately, many are. Being highly intelligent does not automatically equal being polite or caring.

Ok...well imagine the following situation. You're an average looking guy who has had trouble with girls in his lifetime and you have asked some of your colleagues out and have been rejected. These same people get to view and touch your naked body. Don't tell me that you think being a "medical professional" is enough to halt judgment from peers. Girls will talk about men behind their backs. They will say, "wow, that guy had a tiny dick" or "damn, he is ugly, I'd never date him". And even if they don't actually say it, they will think it. Not all women are like this but in my experience, unfortunately, many are. Being highly intelligent does not automatically equal being polite or caring.

I'm a guy and agree completely, but hey, there's no shortage of fellas who say **** like that too.

Also, asking some of your colleagues out is kind of a touchy thing to do in itself, isn't it?

I'm a guy and agree completely, but hey, there's no shortage of fellas who say **** like that too.

Also, asking some of your colleagues out is kind of a touchy thing to do in itself, isn't it?

My situation was hypothetical. I haven't done so. Yet I have at the grocery store at which I used to work and I regretted it. Talk about awkward (awkward only b/c I got rejected..it would have been awesome if it had worked out). Yet I wouldn't say that it would be "touchy" to do so with anyone with whom one feels a connection. And yeah, guys do talk about girls but usually not in a desultory manner, in my opinion. I mean they (from my experience) say things complimenting women like "wow, she has nice breasts" rather than insulting women by saying "oh, she has tiny boobs" or "she is ugly", at least when speaking about average looking women...perhaps some older, unattractive women are insulted but my point is that a young, average looking guy is insulted more than the average looking woman. At least if you are an average looking woman members of the opposite sex still find you at least somewhat attractive (well at least attractive enough to sleep with). As an average guy, women are sometimes difficult to find. Some will outright choose to ignore you.

I will admit that I'm currently an undergrad and that things may change if I get accepted into med school. It tends to make men somewhat more attractive to the opposite sex. :)

You won't be naked.

If you make it to medical school and this is how your fellow students act, then they're basically trash. Don't worry about it.

Being in school for physical therapy I have to laugh at this thread. We were warned before we even started that you had to be comfortable stripping down to a sports bra (or shirtless for guys) and shorts pretty much *every day* of school and that you couldn't be squeamish about touching your classmates (male AND female). Those who couldn't deal with this need notapply.

And they were true to their word: on day 2 of classes we were palpating each other's ischial and pubic tuberosities. And we had to do it on at least 3 different students, and at least one of the opposite sex. Yeah, it was awkward way to meet your new classmates.

But you really do get used to it and it becomes no big deal. When 10 different classmates are going to auscultate your chest, after about the 4th or 5th student you don't think twice about moving your breast tissue aside and pulling down your bra a bit so they can get a better listen :)

I really despise these sessions. I'm generally not a "touchy" person. Now, when I go to the hospital and a preceptor tries to teach me something or asks me to perform xyz exam on a patient, I don't think twice and it doesn't bother me. But doing it on my classmates makes me acutely uncomfortable, I can't take it seriously since they aren't patients, and I try to touch them as little as possible so will kind of poke around where I think I should be, but don't spend much time making sure it's right or "exploring" if it's not. I end up learning close to nothing. And I know that I may be on the extreme end of the spectrum of being uncomfortable standing around in underwear and being prodded by my classmates, and this is just my own personality and much of it is just something I need to "get over" but even my most immodest and confident friends say they're uncomfortable during this.

I personally think this should all be practiced at clinical sites or on model patients. The people on this thread (most of whom are probably gone) saying this teaches a "good lesson" and is done so we can be "in the patient's shoes" are really kidding themselves. It's done because the school is run by cheapasses. we have these sessions once every couple of weeks for two hours. Order some model patients, pair 5 students up for each one, and let them be the body for us to take turns on. At $20/hr just to lay there, it wouldn't cost the school more than one student's tuition to equip all of groups with models for an entire year. We would all be more comfortable and end up learning far more.

/rant

I really just wanted to bump this so bitch, because these sessions are one big discomfortfest. Everyone else feel free to do the same!

Last edited:
I really despise these sessions. I'm generally not a "touchy" person. Now, when I go to the hospital and a preceptor tries to teach me something or asks me to perform xyz exam on a patient, I don't think twice and it doesn't bother me. But doing it on my classmates makes me acutely uncomfortable, I can't take it seriously since they aren't patients, and I try to touch them as little as possible so will kind of poke around where I think I should be, but don't spend much time making sure it's right or "exploring" if it's not. I end up learning close to nothing. And I know that I may be on the extreme end of the spectrum of being uncomfortable standing around in underwear and being prodded by my classmates, and this is just my own personality and much of it is just something I need to "get over" but even my most immodest and confident friends say they're uncomfortable during this.

I personally think this should all be practiced at clinical sites or on model patients. The people on this thread (most of whom are probably gone) saying this teaches a "good lesson" and is done so we can be "in the patient's shoes" are really kidding themselves. It's done because the school is run by cheapasses. we have these sessions once every couple of weeks for two hours. Order some model patients, pair 5 students up for each one, and let them be the body for us to take turns on. At $20/hr just to lay there, it wouldn't cost the school more than one student's tuition to equip all of groups with models for an entire year. We would all be more comfortable and end up learning far more.

/rant

I really just wanted to bump this so bitch, because these sessions are one big discomfortfest. Everyone else feel free to do the same!

Or, you could save a whole student's tuition and just stop being a baby.

Your learning experience sucks because you're not participating. How shocking. I didn't go to path lab because the specimens look gross! Somehow I didn't learn what they look like! What the hell!

It isn't any easier to take standardized patients seriously, either. Most of the standardized patients in school were terrible actors and some were exceptionally creepy. One of the male standardized patients would roll his eyes back in his head and start breathing heavily (as if he were about to orgasm) whenever a girl listened to his heart or his lungs. :rolleyes: Creepster.

Other standardized patients were way too bossy and some were very mean. So, the grass may LOOK greener, but it really isn't.

It isn't any easier to take standardized patients seriously, either. Most of the standardized patients in school were terrible actors and some were exceptionally creepy. One of the male standardized patients would roll his eyes back in his head and start breathing heavily (as if he were about to orgasm) whenever a girl listened to his heart or his lungs. :rolleyes: Creepster.

Other standardized patients were way too bossy and some were very mean. So, the grass may LOOK greener, but it really isn't.

:thumbup:
How are standardized patients any more "patients" than your classmates? Mind going through your reasoning there?

/rant

I'm with you dude. People are so quick to say "Get over it" and "Everyone is doing it and in the same position" but it really is different strokes for different folks. I used to be about 75 pounds overweight for the majority of my life and even though I'm at a "normal" weight now, I'm unhappy with my body image and worry about things like this. I know I'm going to have to get over it at SOME point and not worry what other people think, but I don't think I should be forced to get over it in a medical school classroom.

It's a huge psychological barrier to lose 75 pounds, yet still have pseudogynecomastia, excess skin and stretch marks from a time when I didn't really grasp proper nutrition. I lift weights, I exercise daily, I eat right now, but my body won't let me forget how I used to treat it. I'm a pretty outgoing guy too and am not embarrassed by much, but when it comes to taking my shirt off in front of peers, it's a huge deal for me.

So before anyone really wants to say suck it up, I say think twice. I may have to get over my body image issues, but it won't be easy. Just think if you had to face one of your biggest fears in front of a group of people.

inb4 cut, not bulk